Official TCS 2015 Oscars ballots contest

Have fun. Win stuff. Do things.

Who is your favorite Oscar

Oscar Wilde. He invented the internet.
35%
Oscar de la Hoya. And I'll fight you over it!
11%
Oscar de la Renta. I'm classy like that.
2%
Oscar the Grouch. Fashion is overrated.
20%
Oscar Meyer. I wouldn't fit in a design dress but I regret nothing.
9%
Oscar Bluth. I made a huge mistake.
9%
Oscar Pistorius. Track star and shooting star.
9%
Too soon for that joke, dude.
7%

Total votes : 46

Official TCS 2015 Oscars ballots contest

Postby 52xMax » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:19 am

Oscar-the-Grouch-tipping-sideways.jpg
220px-Oscar_Wilde.jpg

wienermobile.jpg

2015!

Here at TCS we take movies very seriously. So much that we're making a contest for the upcoming Academy Awards about a bunch of movies we really don't care that much about and likely haven't even seen. Now, I know what you're thinking: most of the nominees have not had a wide release yet, and outside film makers and critic circles nobody knows much about them yet, so why are you making a contest that is likely biased and misinformed? well, because everyone else is doing it. Also, it is fun, and you could win ONE MILLION DOLLARS!* so what are you waiting for? shut up and vote!

Here are the rules:

1. Go to http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/oscars/2015/ballot/
1a. Select your favorites and hit submit. You'll get a personalized link with your picks, post it under this thread.

I'm using this website because you don't need to sign up or login with your facebook account, the process is relatively quick and painless, and it generates a unique link with your picks that is very easy to share.

But if you think there's a better way:

2. Optionally, you can browse for a blank ballot (like this one, or this one, or create your own) fill it in with your picks and upload the image on this thread. If you do so, please be sure to attach the file instead of hotlinking, to keep control of edits. And since this is TCS, you could get creative and express your choices with conceptual art, or singing them on the ukulele, or making statues with gruel in the shape of the movie you think is going to win, or uploading a long rant to youtube complaining that M. Night Shyamalan got snubbed by the Academy once again even though he didn't make a film last year. Go crazy, which again, goes without saying here on TCS. The only requirement is that whatever form you use to upload your ballot, make sure your picks are clear and that you post the final result on this thread, so we can count how many right guesses everyone had by the time the awards happen.

4. The winner, of course, will be the person who makes more correct predictions than everyone else. In case there is a tie between two or more contestants, the person with the highest number of right guesses who submitted their ballot first will win. So get those votes quick.

5. One entry per user. Once submitted, DO NOT edit your post, as the time for the edit will be considered as the new timestamp on your entry. If you changed your mind about your picks, make a new entry instead and we will consider the latest picks as your new entry into the contest replacing the old one.

6. Final date for submission is the beginning of the ceremony: SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 22nd 7 p.m. EST.

7. The prize will be ONE MILLION DOLLARS, paid by Typical Michael... who is definitely not a costumed vigilante.

To get the ball rolling, here are my picks

No need for any more submissions, right? this is clearly the winner

(can't blame me for wanting some of that sweet typical cash, right?. Like I said, I used the HW website and you can take a look to see if that's the way you wanna do it. Heads up: any way you upload your results (I would really love to see some ukulele sing-alongs), be careful to check it reflects your final choices and that you are using the right files/links before posting them.

Be sure to come in to our IRC channel on the day of the awards. There will be cake (that might be a lie) and we will watch the red carpet and ceremony together to make fun of prettier, richer people than us and share some witty banter.

* After discussing it with our lawyers**, TCS has decided that it is not in our best interest to take away money that would otherwise serve to protect the streets, even if said money comes from a billionaire vigilante. Instead, the prize will be 10 reputation points and a nice "Champion" tag that would earn the winner bragging rights until we take it away.
** This is what happens when our entire legal staff consists of Typical Michael.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Time Waster

Title: The One Who Knocks

Re: Official TCS 2015 Oscars ballots contest

Postby Ericthebearjew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:37 am

Here's my ballot:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/oscars/2015/ballot/result/MywyLDIsNSwzLDIsMiwzLDUsMyw1LDEsMiw1LDMsMiw0LDEsMiw0LDUsNCwxLDIsLA%3D%3D/

Mr. Grey will maul you now!
Ericthebearjew
TCS Junkie

Title: Pavlovian Mauler

Postby JamishT » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:45 am

My ballot has Selma being snubbed SO hard...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/oscars/2015/ballot/complete/#NCw1LDEsMSwzLDIsMiw0LDIsMiw1LDEsNCwyLDMsMiw0LDIsMSwxLDQsMyw1LDEsLA%3D%3D

Also, love the Pistorius joke!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS Junkie

Title: That Amish Guy

Postby LiteralHipster » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:49 pm

Here's mine. Of course I chose the short films, etc. randomly, but in non-English movie I chose the Argentinian candidate, for obvious reasons. ;)(Also I watched and it's really good.)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards ... sNCwsNSws/

LiteralHipster
Commenter

Postby Tuli » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:47 pm

While doing this, I realized just how little I care about the Oscars... except for one thing. Tangerines is obviously the best foreign movie! It's gonna be a total hit and run at the Oscars! I mean, wait, uhh... a total home run! Yeah!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/oscars/2015/ballot/result/Myw1LDIsNSw0LDIsNSwzLDUsMyw1LDQsMSw1LDIsMywxLDEsMywzLDMsNSwyLDMsLA%3D%3D/

Tuli
Commenter

Postby 52xMax » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:12 am

Relatos Salvajes is one of my favorite movies this year, period. I actually watched most of these movies, or am in the process of seeing the ones with most nominations. Of the documentaries I have only seen the Snowden one, but it is really good, and I admit to being partial to Birdman on account of the director being Mexican, but I think it is a phenomenal movie, and at the very least I think it deserves to win for best cinematography.

52xMax
Time Waster

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:29 am

.........Why the fuck is the Lego movie not in any category. Fuck the Hollywood elite!
*flips over table ad leaves*

*comes back in*

AND JAKE GYLLENHAAL WAS BETTER THEN ALL OF THEM IN NIGHTCRAWLER!!!!!

*flips over table again and leaves

Admins tag across my signature
Cobra-D
TCS Regular

Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Australia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:59 pm

*puts table upright and kicks it over again*

This is fun!

*belly dances on table*

Whoop, there it is!

So I'll probably lose because I went with my personal choices rather than what I expect to win, i.e. Birdman is going to win Best Picture, even though it's ludicrously overrated, but I voted against it. It was definitely the best cinematography but even the acting couldn't make up for the elongated plot that could have ended in at least eight different spots. In the categories where I didn't know any of the movies in, I picked the coolest title, i.e. Leviathan, because I'm a Supernatural fan, even though it probably isn't about monsters from purgatory that eat people and each other. Also, there's a difference between sound mixing and sound editing?

Avatars are temporary. Wisdom is eternal - Doc Brown

WaitYamIHere JamesT OrangeEyebrows EdgarCabrera DocLogan Ericthebearjew TypicalMichael Tesseracts Sunglasses Matthew Notch Kate JamishT LaoWai Harping Carp Overlord Moo Face the Citizen Aquila89 NisiOptimum Qinglong LaChaise Nullbert

NotCIAdoubleagent

Who will be burned next?
Australia
TCS Junkie

Title: Chemical Agent

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:29 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards/oscars/2015/ballot/result/Miw1LDQsNSw1LDQsMyw0LDIsMiwyLDEsMSwzLDIsMiwxLDEsMiwzLDEsMSw1LDIsLA%3D%3D/

Wooooo! That was fun. I haven't seen any of the major movies listed but I enjoyed ignorantly choosing the best of the best. And I read the review of Leviathan. Its not about gigantic cannibalistic sea monsters that have super intelligence and can fly up from the gates of hell. What a bunch of malarkey.

Not changing this signature until Bret "The Hitman" Hart sunglasses are back in style.
iMURDAu
Time Waster

Title: Loon Ass Judge

Postby JamishT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Australia wrote:Also, there's a difference between sound mixing and sound editing?

Sound mixing is the guy who recorded the sound, sound editing is the guy who made it sound pretty and put it in the film.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS Junkie

Title: That Amish Guy

Postby 52xMax » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 am

Cobra-D wrote:.........Why the fuck is the Lego movie not in any category. Fuck the Hollywood elite!

Actually, it is nominated for best song. It was my pick, mostly because it's gonna be fun watching Tegan and Sara performing live with Lonely Island.

iMURDAu wrote:Wooooo! That was fun. I haven't seen any of the major movies listed but I enjoyed ignorantly choosing the best of the best.

That's the spirit!

JamishT wrote:Sound mixing is the guy who recorded the sound, sound editing is the guy who made it sound pretty and put it in the film.

TIL that it's good to have people on the forum who've actually worked in movies and know what they're talking about... I always thought having two categories for the same thing was just a union thing or something.

52xMax
Time Waster

Postby Macready » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards ... yLDMsLA==/

half of it was guess work. I've not seen over half the movies/candidates!

Macready
Champion

Title: Post-Modernist

Postby IceBreaker14 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:25 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/awards ... sLA%3D%3D/

I haven't seen every single nominee so I had to rewatch some trailers to determine what to do, but I think I chose what I believe should win.

IceBreaker14
Commenter

Postby 52xMax » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:15 am

The ceremony doesn't quite start yet, but I guess it's close enough to call it.

If you're gonna be watching and are online, please come to IRC, even if you decided not to participate. We'll try to have fun, get really drunk and do crazy stuff, but we do that all the time anyway...

52xMax
Time Waster

Postby Ericthebearjew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:27 am

Just a last minute reminder.

Mr. Grey will maul you now!
Ericthebearjew
TCS Junkie

Title: Pavlovian Mauler

Next