Dad from 7th Heaven molested three girls

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Dad from 7th Heaven molested three girls

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/07/stephen-c ... stigation/

Well I didn't see this coming.

Admins tag across my signature
Cobra-D
Frequent Poster

Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Dad from 7th Heaven molested three girls

Postby aviel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:36 am

I heard about this on the radio. Perhaps my priorities are misplaced, but what bothered me most (or at least a lot) about this story was that his wife released tapes she made of his confession ... in therapy. It is not okay to record people in therapy and it is definitely not okay to release those recordings.

Obviously it's also not okay to molest children.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
aviel
TCS Butt Inspector

Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 am

aviel wrote:I heard about this on the radio. Perhaps my priorities are misplaced, but what bothered me most (or at least a lot) about this story was that his wife released tapes she made of his confession ... in therapy. It is not okay to record people in therapy and it is definitely not okay to release those recordings.

Obviously it's also not okay to molest children.

That's a good point. From what I understand therapists are required to report somebody who is currently a threat, but not somebody who used to be one. I don't know this situation and I can't say if this man is a threat or not, but it's possible he is overcoming this problem.

Also. 7th Heaven is possibly the worst show ever.

How did this last so many seasons?

Tesseracts
TCS Admin

Title: Czarina Tesserov

Postby aviel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:22 am

There are two things. If therapists think that there is child abuse happening, then yes, there are mandatory reporting laws in place. But a) that would be reported to CPS, not to the media, and b) it would be reported by the therapist, not the wife, and c) you cannot record people's therapy sessions regardless. Three things.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
aviel
TCS Butt Inspector

Postby sunglasses » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:24 am

Here's the thing. She took the tapes to her lawyer. He made the confession during couples counseling, not an individual session. Therefore, it's not like she took his private sessions and made them public. And she gave them to her lawyer because when he admitted that he forced an 11 year old to touch his partly hard little 7th heaven, she was horrified and decided to get divorced.

Not sure how it got to the media tho. I assume someone leaked it.

Yeah, TMZ is not saying how they got the tapes. So claiming that the wife leaked them is a bit of assumption, Avi.

Take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning.
sunglasses
TCS Junkie

Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby sunglasses » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:29 am

aviel wrote: you cannot record people's therapy sessions regardless. Three things.

Actually in Cali you can if you suspect them of a felony. Sexual abuse of a child under 14 in Cali is a felony.

Take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning.
sunglasses
TCS Junkie

Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:32 am

You can record private conversations in California if you are doing so to gather evidence to report a violent felony.

http://www.shouselaw.com/eavesdropping.html

Check out my story!

Tesseracts wrote:I think it's safe to say drugs have won the war on drugs. Pretty sure terror has won the war on terror also. It's time to move on to beating the shit out of a new abstract concept.
FaceTheCitizen
TCS Admin

Title: Basement Tyrant

Postby aviel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:21 am

sunglasses wrote:Here's the thing. She took the tapes to her lawyer. He made the confession during couples counseling, not an individual session. Therefore, it's not like she took his private sessions and made them public. And she gave them to her lawyer because when he admitted that he forced an 11 year old to touch his partly hard little 7th heaven, she was horrified and decided to get divorced.

It's not primarily this I object to, it is the part where they were leaked to the media

Yeah, TMZ is not saying how they got the tapes. So claiming that the wife leaked them is a bit of assumption, Avi.

I think I had heard that the wife leaked them ,though this may have been incorrect. Regardless, if TMZ knew they were from a therapy session (i.e. a place in which one has a reasonable expectation of privacy), I do not think it was okay of them to publicize it.

And I know that in general you can record private conversations in California without the other person's consent if you suspect them of a felony, but there are additional protections in therapy sessions due to HIPAA.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
aviel
TCS Butt Inspector

Postby Andropov4 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:52 am

Cobra-D wrote:
Well I didn't see this coming.

Neither did the kids.

Spoiler: show
Kill me. Kill me now.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles
Andropov4
Time Waster

Title: Dr. Admiral

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 am

Andropov4 wrote:
Spoiler: show
Kill me. Kill me now.

I got this! Lift your chin a little.

"Fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your slave." Jareth, the Goblin King
DamianaRaven
Time Waster

Title: Shameless Hussy

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:44 am

aviel wrote: his wife released tapes she made of his confession ... in therapy. It is not okay to record people in therapy and it is definitely not okay to release those recordings.

The wife? But ..... hey that aint right! GOD DAMNIT AVIEL! I'm sick of all this jumping to conclusions before all the facts are gathered and people are blamed for things they didn't do, that's how mob trials get started!!!!!!
sunglasses wrote:Not sure how it got to the media tho. I assume someone leaked it.

This interests me. I assume it's illegal to leak stuff like this to the media, so if they find out who did it ..... would they be in trouble, legally? Like what if someone kills the actor guy? Would the leak-er be in any way liable? Like would the argument "Hey I didn't know anyone would react that, I thought everyone liked paedophiles?" hold any water, or would they get into some kind of trouble for that?

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
Time Waster

Title: Cabbage-Warbler

Postby Jack Road » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:34 am

I don't know much about the law. But I feel like molesting people is not a one-and-done kind of deal. Maybe not all the stats are there, but I don't know, I just don't see a molester going "Hey, I molested quite a bit, but now I think it is time to hang up the sweat pants and sell the van."

So in my mind I feel like if anyone ever confesses to child molestation anywhere, they should immediately be reported? And that there should not be a statute of limitations on child molestation? And that if the law doesn't reflect that sentiment, it should be changed because why the hell does it not reflect that sentiment?

Jack Road
Time Waster

Title: Not a Doctor

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Of course, people can change and are capable of turning back from a past course they are ashamed of. These are some atrocious things and I'm not saying I don't agree that there should be consequences. You couldn't murder someone ten years ago and be fine and dandy with the law if it came out that you definitely murdered someone. That said, I feel like it's important to look at the heart condition of the person at present, not when he or she did something terrible. I sure haven't molested any kids, but I've definitely done some crappy things in my life, and even though I can't escape the fact that some people are going to only hold me to those actions, it is still nice that most people have decided to give me another chance at being a good person.

All that aside, he probably shouldn't be allowed around young children unsupervised for a long while, until a medical professional deems it safe, if that ever happens.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

the river only knows to carry on
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie

Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Jack Road » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm

No, I'm pretty sure if he molested children he should be slow roasted over an open fire and all his money should go to orphans.

I get murder. I totes get murder. But there are so many reasons for murder. There is only one reason for child molestation.

I also don't think the law should be anything but Calvinistic. There can't be any place for examining one's heart when it comes to matters of crime and punishment. I might forgive him. The law should not.

In summary. In my perfect world.

Confessing...

"I killed that guy because I was really mad." gets more time than confessing "I killed that guy because he hit me."
"I molested children" just gets you executed immediately. Like as soon as you confess.
"I molested children seven years ago but I feel really bad about it and haven't since then" just gets you executed immediately. Like as soon as you confess.

Jack Road
Time Waster

Title: Not a Doctor

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I don't care about forgiveness. What matters is if he will do the same thing again or not. Some sex offenders repeat their crime, some do not, same as any other form of crime. I agree that child molestation is worse than murder but that doesn't mean I want to throw all human rights out the window. The only important consideration is making sure this doesn't happen again, and making people afraid to go to therapy is counterproductive towards that goal.

Tesseracts
TCS Admin

Title: Czarina Tesserov

Next

Return to Current Affairs and Serious Stuff