TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Yes, this came up in a conversation I had with sellers about things that induce euphoria. I complained bitterly about my experience with Adderall which strongly impacted me at first but I quickly adapted to it making it useless, and it gave me an incredibly unpleasant crash when it wore off each day. I have never spoken to anyone who has had a positive long term experience with Adderall, it is an addictive and dangerous drug and people are constantly saying "it's not like meth" which isn't really true.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby cmsellers » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:13 pm

It's not like meth. It is meth.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:36 pm

In Jamaica, the left-wing party is the People's National Party, while the right-wing party is the Jamaican Labor Party.

Jamaican things crazy, mon!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:10 am

TIL that in 1989, Vanilla Ice released a cover of Play That Funky Music (EDIT: for an extremely liberal value of "cover"). On a related note, TIL Vanilla Ice had more than one song.

Of course, the Youtube video I found isn't working right now, but I'm posting it here in case it ever comes back up.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:11 am

I've started getting videos I've definitely watched recommended to with no red progress bar as if I've never seen them. Initially I wondered if the algorithm was trying to deceive me, but looking around, it appears that YouTube only saves your watch progress on the 1000 most recently-viewed videos you've watched, same as for likes. Which is ... incredibly annoying in the time of the rona.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:41 am

Apparently, Tesla's electric cars need Edison's direct current electricity.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:30 am

TIL the word "oxymoron" is a combination of words meaning "sharp" and "foolish."

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm

On this day in 1818, there was a real and genuine case of someone using a crazy law that had never been repealed. In the case of Ashford v Thornton in England, a man was accused of murder and, in the absence of any witnesses or alibis or anything else, he asked to do a trial by combat, in which he would fight his accuser to the death and God would pick the winner. He was allowed to, too, although the accuser backed down and the alleged killer was therefore declared not guilty. They changed the law after that, sadly.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Krashlia » Fri May 21, 2021 5:55 am

jbobsully11 wrote:TIL the word "oxymoron" is a combination of words meaning "sharp" and "foolish."

TIL, "Oxy" was once a synonym for "sharp".

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri May 21, 2021 4:29 pm

Krashlia wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:TIL the word "oxymoron" is a combination of words meaning "sharp" and "foolish."

TIL, "Oxy" was once a synonym for "sharp".

"Oxus," if a thing I read online is accurate.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Fri May 28, 2021 8:03 pm

In 1958, actor Gareth Jones was appearing in a television play that was being broadcast live. He died of a heart attack halfway through filming, forcing the rest of the cast to improvise the rest of the play in an, "I'm sure that if Gareth was here, he would say..." kind of way. According to Wikipedia, there are no known recordings of this play, so I'm afraid I can't offer you any clips.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 am

Twitch is searchable by game. Modern games are easy to find. If you're looking for a streamer playing an older game that doesn't have a big following they're usually playing it under the "Retro" game title. So for example on my days off I watch Nintendesi in the early morning and he plays various Zelda romhacks under the "Retro" title tag.

Today he mentioned how the Retro game tag exists because there is an actual game with the name "Retro" that was for Playstation 2. It makes sense now that I think about it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:47 pm

TIL there was a sequel to the movie Trainspotting that came out in 2017. I'm mildly curious to know how good it is, but probably not enough to actually watch it.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:16 am

jbobsully11 wrote:TIL there was a sequel to the movie Trainspotting that came out in 2017. I'm mildly curious to know how good it is, but probably not enough to actually watch it.

I've seen it. It wasn't memorable.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:45 pm

As totally unnecessary sequels go, it's not bad. It doesn't have the culture-defining force of the original, but it was never going to. You should watch it if it's on TV ever.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext