Which fictional characters are Trump supporters?

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Which fictional characters are Trump supporters?

Postby tinyrick » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:10 am

I came across this game on another site. Which fictional characters do you think would be Trump supporters? The only rule is you can't name obvious villains.

My top three picks:

Also these two.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Re: Which fictional characters are Trump supporters?

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:54 am

John Barron, for one.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:55 am

MOD VOICE: Moved from CAASS.

Is Archie Bunker too obvious?

The best argument I saw on Twitter is whether Alex P. Keaton would be a Trump supporter. Sort of a microcosm of the fight for the Republican soul, that one.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:00 am

It would be helpful to caption those with their names, because I have no idea who those are. That being said, I'll nominate:

Andy Dwyer from Parks & Rec

Andre from The League

Michael Scott from The Office

And, sadly, Detective Lassiter from Psych

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 am

Gonna take a wild swing and say Biff circa BTTF Part II would've greatly approved of Trump's schtick.

I honestly don't think Hank Hill would swing for Trump -- stubbornly conservative as he is, I think his morality is genuine enough that he wouldn't be able to compromise his beliefs for politics' sake (would that real life were so simple), so he'd write-in some other establishment Republican who dropped out of the race as protest. But Bill is pathetic and self-pitying enough to fall right into the web, Boomhauer would just default along the party line, and Dale won't stop screaming about QAnon to anyone who'll listen.

Warmongering and climate change are a very easy and efficient way to ensure global decimation.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby tinyrick » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:33 pm

JamishT wrote:It would be helpful to caption those with their names, because I have no idea who those are. That being said, I'll nominate:

I'm assuming you mean the black and white fellas, Ralph and Ed. They're from the Honeymooners. Ralph, the fat one, is basically Fred Flintstone. Ed is Barney Rubble. The Flintstones basically copied these characters and animated them. So I guess by extension, Fred and Barney also voted Trump.

Funny thing about the King of the Hill gang is that there's actually an episode where Hank gets to shake hands with Bush at a campaign rally and finds out he has a weak handshake. This was enough for him to doubt voting for him and decides to sit out the election. He eventually overcomes it and ends up voting for him. If a weak handshake was enough to turn him off, Trump would definitely drive him towards protest voting for Gary Johnson. In the same episode, Dale reveals that he doesn't vote cause it's all just smoke and mirrors and it's all decided behind the scenes anyway. Trump's campaign was all about railing against those shadowy elites that really run everything, so not only would Dale vote for him, it would be the first election in which he ever voted. Ron Swanson from Parks and Rec has a similar outlook, but I don't think he'd be a Trump supporter cause he'd recognize authoritarianism from the beginning. He'd be a die-hard Rand Paul supporter, then later be disappointed by Paul becoming another bootlicker.

I'd like to add Bulk and Skull from the Power Rangers original series:

Also Frasier Krane, cause not all Trump supporters are stupid. Also, the real life Kelsey Grammer supports Trump and Frasier is basically an extension of his own personality. Ironically, he also played Beast in the X-Men movies and he'd definitely not support Trump.

Edit: One more thing about King of the Hill, Boomhauer comes across as someone that doesn't give a shit about politics and doesn't vote at all.

2nd edit: I didn't caption Rorschach either. I figured Watchmen was popular enough that everyone knew. Rorschach is a vigilante that ignores the law in order to deliver justice. Imagine a Batman that not only kills people, but also has no restraint. He never thinks, "Hey maybe I'm going to far here." Minus the gadgets cause he's a smelly vagrant that doesn't have a day job.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm

Why would Ralph and Ed be Trump supporters? The Honeymooners never really dealt with politics, and being New Yorkers, it's more likely that they'd be Democrats.

I don't know about Rorschach either, considering his very conservative views on sexual matters. Yeah, evangelical Christians support Trump too, as a compromise; they say he's a flawed man, but still better than the alternative. But Rorschach is a moral absolutist. "Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."

Patrick Bateman from American Psycho comes to mind, because he idolized Trump. However, according to Bret Easton Ellis, Patrick would not be a Trump supporter, because he's an elitist, and Trump is a populist (at least in his tone).

Trump today isn’t the Trump of 1987. He’s not the Trump of Art of the Deal. He seemed much more elitist in ’87, ’88. Now he seems to be giving a voice to white, angry, blue-collar voters. I think, in a way, Patrick Bateman may be disappointed by how Trump is coming off and who he’s connecting with.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Richie Rich

Roseanne Connor

Ron Swanson

Mr. Krabs

Oh and from Ducktales...
Spoiler: show

Scrooge doesn't vote, he buys what he wants. Launchpad is a small business owner so he's felt like the Republicans have his best interests in mind. He's not too worried about Trump changing public perception of the party because he doesn't really associate with any ducks that aren't white. :shock:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:55 am

KleinerKiller wrote:

Gonna take a wild swing and say Biff circa BTTF Part II would've greatly approved of Trump's schtick.

I honestly don't think Hank Hill would swing for Trump -- stubbornly conservative as he is, I think his morality is genuine enough that he wouldn't be able to compromise his beliefs for politics' sake (would that real life were so simple), so he'd write-in some other establishment Republican who dropped out of the race as protest. But Bill is pathetic and self-pitying enough to fall right into the web, Boomhauer would just default along the party line, and Dale won't stop screaming about QAnon to anyone who'll listen.

Warmongering and climate change are a very easy and efficient way to ensure global decimation.

So, who on the Republican party might Hank Hill vote for?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 am

I'm gonna break up my wall o' text with headings.

King of the Hill
So WRT King of the Hill, I agree that Hank would almost certainly be a NeverTrump Republican, Dale wouldn't vote, and Boomhauer doesn't very political, though as an FBI agent he could be a "go along with Trump in the hopes we can control him" type. Bill has been shown to be kind of soft-hearted, so I'm not sure he'd be a Trump supporter either. Buck Strickland and Cotton are 100% Trump supporters, if either of them are still alive at this point.

I can see Kahn, Peggy, and Luanne all voting for Trump, though also good reasons for them not to. Vietnamese-Americans are the only reliably Asian-American subgroup, and while Kahn is Laotian, he seems to be ethnically Lao and his background is closer to many Vietnamese-Americans than to the Hmong, who are the largest group of Laotian-Americans. However, like other reliably Republican ethnic minorities like Cubans and Orthodox Jews, Vietnamese-Americans voted Democratic for the first time in 2016. I can imagine Kahn and Hank both being horrified by Trump and then being horrified that they agree. Peggy seems like the kind of person who might support Trump because she thinks he's more liberal than Hillary. And while Luanne is a poor white who excuses horribly sexist behavior from men, she also doesn't seem like the voting kind.

Parks and Rec and The Office
Ron Swanson's brand of libertarianism, I think, makes him unlikely to support Trump. Trump is the opposite of a libertarian, and though a distressing number "libertarians" did support Trump, they tended to be Tea Party types, which Ron Swanson really isn't, and to reliably vote Republican. I always read Ron Swanson as a capital-L, Libertarian who reliably votes for Libertarian Party candidates and writes stuff in when there's none available. And I don't read Andy as political at all.

Of all the Parks and Rec employees, I feel like Donna and Jerry are the most likely Trump supporters, though I have an easier time imagining both as apolitical. That said, I can imagine all the Parks and Rec employees bullying Jerry for voting Trump, someone calls Donna out on supporting Trump too, and she has some excuse about why it's different for her.

Michael Scott doesn't seem like the political type, but Angela is 100% a Trump supporter and same for most of the white warehouse crew. Phyllis is a plausible Trump supporter, as an old white woman. Jim and Pam, TBH, seem like Trump supporters too, especially Jim, given how much of a bully he is. Dwight, I feel like, is someone who doesn't vote because voting is how they track you, but I can imagine him defending Trump once he's in office.

Why I think sympathetic fictional characters who are likely Trump supporters are rare
One thing that occurred to me is that most show writers are very liberal (and the exceptions mostly libertarians like Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Mike Judge, none of whom like Trump either), and they tend to write sympathetic characters with personality traits that make them unlikely, IMO, to be Trump supporters.

Unsympathetic characters are sometimes characterized as conservative, but even a lot of unsympathetic characters by liberal writers seem like they'd either lean Democratic or apolitical. So while I can believe the self-insert characters of Trump supporters like Frasier Crane, Roseanne Connor, or Tim Allen's characters would be Trump supporters, it's hard to think of a sympathetic character by a creator who doesn't support Trump where I go "yeah, this person would probably a Trump supporter."

One possible exception that comes to mind for me is Archer's Cheryl Tunt, but that's because she's a masochist would would probably like the idea of Trump grabbing her by the pussy, and you can argue about how sympathetic she is. (Though she's way more sympathetic than Mallory Archer, who is definitely a Trump supporter.)

The other possible exceptions are the characters from the show Justified. It's set in Eastern Kentucky, the Trumpiest of Trump country. I'm not sure about Boyd Crowder, who is an autodiadect who abandoned his white nationalism, but most of the other locals are probably Trump supporters. And if Raylan votes, being a cop who routinely breaks the law to get what he wants, he's almost certainly a Trump supporter.

Writing this also makes me realize that clearly part of the problem is that shows are usually set in places that are likely to lean Democratic. Even small cities like Scranton and Pawnee (well, it's real-world equivalents) lean Democratic and the characters on The Office and Parks and Recreation have jobs (white collar office jobs, government work) that make them likelier to be Democrats or NeverTrump Republicans.

The only shows I can think of from recent times set the late 20th/early 21st century in definite Trump Country and featuring people with jobs that Trump supporters are likely to hold are are Justified, Roseanne/The Connors, Fargo, The Middle, and Greg Garcia's My Name is Earl and Raising Hope. There are probably characters in the shows I haven't discussed yet who are Trump supporters, but it's not immediately obvious to me who, at least not as I'm writing this. I'll sleep on it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:23 am

Rico Dynamite:

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Although I'm sure the showrunners have written him the other way, I think Homer Simpson probably would (certainly the Homer Simpson from the first ten or so seasons, modern Homer would probably just accidentally write a fat joke onto the ballot, be stunned by a wooden guest appearance from Elizabeth Warren, and then accidentally knock the voting booths over).

I think Saul Goodman (of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul) probably would as well, because he strikes me as the kind of person who admired Trump as a younger man.
Also from Breaking Bad, I think Hank probably would, given that law enforcement tend to lean right and he in particular has a lot of bad experiences to do with the border.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Goodish point about Saul Goodman. I'm not sure if Slipping Jimmy would have been a Trump supporter, but by the time he becomes Saul Goodman, he is the walking embodiment of situational ethics. Trump means tax cuts for him, and his tough-on-crime policies mean more clients for him. And you're absolutely right about Hank Schraeder.

Also, on the subject of The Simpsons: Ned Flanders, since being Flanderized, is definitely a Trump supporter. Same for Mr. Burns, Sideshow Bob, and Rich Texan. Moe, Superintendent Chalmers, and Chief Wiggum also seem like plausible Trump supporters. Helen Lovejoy seems like someone who would have supported Trump before the Access Hollywood tapes, switched to opposing him, given him the benefit of the doubt, and then turned against him shortly into his term, possibly after he began separating families at the border.

The law enforcement thing brings me back to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which I considered earlier and rejected. Because it's set in NYC and written by liberals, none of the sympathetic cop characters seem like likely Trump supporters. However, receptionist Gina seems like the sort of person who might support Trump if she votes (though she's not a cop and I find her annoying more than sympathetic), for similar reasons to Kanye. And Hitchcock and Scully seem like obvious candidates for Trump supporters. Certain recurring antagonists—Wunch, the Vulture, and Commissioner Kelly—all seem like plausible Trump supporters, I'd say about I'm about 70%, 80%, and 95% sure of them.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Aquila89 wrote:Why would Ralph and Ed be Trump supporters? The Honeymooners never really dealt with politics, and being New Yorkers, it's more likely that they'd be Democrats.

New York was different back then.The first Deathwish movie took place in New York. I'm basing that guess more on a hunch than anything else cause I know people exactly like them who support Trump. They are very easily suckered in by get rich quick schemes. Also, part of the point of the game is to try to figure out the politics of people that never explicitly state their party.

J. Jonah Jameson of Spider Man definitely voted for Trump, btw. The fact that he spreads fake news while claiming everyone else spreads fake news just makes him seem very Trumpian.

Going back to the King of the Hill well of obvious Trump supporters for cultural reasons, the entire cast of Mama's Family and Dukes of Hazzard.

Booster Gold, of DC, is not a Trump supporter per se, but would probably support Trump if he was popular, yet claim he never supported him once his popularity went south, cause Booster Gold is basically Trump as a superhero.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:24 pm

Aquila89 wrote:
J. Jonah Jameson of Spider Man definitely voted for Trump, btw. The fact that he spreads fake news while claiming everyone else spreads fake news just makes him seem very Trumpian.

I wouldn't be so sure about that:

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Next