4 Reasons Your Employer Doesn't Care If You're Happy Or Not

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Reasons Your Employer Doesn't Care If You're Happy Or Not

Postby rowdyrodimus » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:50 pm

Basically the article could've been said in just one paragraph (using my comment from the comment section)

"The #1 rule to being a good manager is to let your employees know that you will never ask them to do something that you aren't willing to do yourself (and let them see you do it from time to time). That way, they know you don't feel you are better than them and they know that you are there to back them up if need be. Too many people get a managers position and feel that their days of "working" are over. Let the employees know that you have their back and they will have yours, too. It's why everyone always requested to work on the shifts I managed and dreaded working for others."

However, as usual, we get more anti-big business propaganda. How profits are bad and the mean old white male patriarchy have made it so the average worker will always be screwed over and never get a fair shake in life. (I added the "mean old white male patriarchy" thing to be sarcastic) It just seems funny to me that a website that is run based on ad revenue from these same types of companies will belittle them. It's almost like they won't be happy until everyone is paid the same no matter what they do. Most people wouldn't go to law school or spend all that extra time and money becoming a doctor is they could make the same amount flipping burgers.

Sorry, this is just one of those topics that get me every time I see it. i guess because I've been on the bottom of the corporate ladder and near the top of the same ladder. People forget that the more money you make in corporations, usually (unless you're the owner or the CEO) the more responsibility you have. That's the trade off you make for being able to have a 40 hour work week, never getting calls on your days off and being on the clock all hours of the day and night 24/7.

rowdyrodimus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Lord Of Nothing

Re: 4 Reasons Your Employer Doesn't Care If You're Happy Or

Postby ShuaiGuy » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:09 pm

<Redacted>

Last edited by ShuaiGuy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShuaiGuy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Paradox » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:25 pm

That's okay.

I don't care if my employer is happy either.

[Signature removed for nonpayment.]

The artist once again known as Dox.
Paradox
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: True Neutral

Postby sunglasses » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:40 pm

rowdyrodimus wrote:
However, as usual, we get more anti-big business propaganda. How profits are bad and the mean old white male patriarchy have made it so the average worker will always be screwed over and never get a fair shake in life. (I added the "mean old white male patriarchy" thing to be sarcastic) It just seems funny to me that a website that is run based on ad revenue from these same types of companies will belittle them. It's almost like they won't be happy until everyone is paid the same no matter what they do. Most people wouldn't go to law school or spend all that extra time and money becoming a doctor is they could make the same amount flipping burgers.

I can tell you right now that I would still be a nurse even if I could make the same amount of money as a waitress or "flipping burgers." Because I like what I do. My friend works as essentially a lawyer at a non-profit, he does not make bank. But it's what he wants to do. So it's a bit crass to say that people who are passionate about their jobs wouldn't go into the field if a fast food worker makes the same as them.

Sorry, this is just one of those topics that get me every time I see it. i guess because I've been on the bottom of the corporate ladder and near the top of the same ladder. People forget that the more money you make in corporations, usually (unless you're the owner or the CEO) the more responsibility you have. That's the trade off you make for being able to have a 40 hour work week, never getting calls on your days off and being on the clock all hours of the day and night 24/7.

Having worked in a profit driven and very large health care system, I've seen dead on the very villanous big business they often speak of. Our CEO? Was out get drunk half the time and got a DUI. She often delegated CEO tasks to people who made significantly less than her and weren't salary. She was entirely focused on more patients coming in and minimized the staff needed to safely care for them based on profits. This was all at the behest of "corporate." They were constantly seeking to maximize profits and lives have been ruined because of this. Patients are nothing more than dollar signs to them. I'm not saying all big businesses are like this-hell I work for a major car company now-but some certainly are.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.