The Comment Section 1 Cracked 0

Discussion about Cracked.com, but not for comments on stories posted to front page.

More about the operation of Cracked.com.

The Comment Section 1 Cracked 0

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 am

It's happened. The sons of bitches have finally done it. They have removed the comments section from their website. Oddly, one article today did have comments when I visited earlier today, but they have now all been removed. After so many bugs in their website that every commenter quit under the assumption that they had been banned (I tried creating a new account just to spam hate speech and get banned for real, and my experience was very different, so I'm confident they didn't really actually ban everyone), and most commenters lately were either old ones with the number 5 or 6 appended to their names after [name] - [name]4 or 5 stopped working, or bizarre sycophants, the soulless parasites who run the Internet's worst website have pulled the plug entirely.

Remember why this site was created. I did not post here in those days, and thought, "Haha, I bet those suckers over at the comment section dot org feel stupid now that Cracked isn't deleting its vibrant commenter community" as I smugly posted on the Cracked/PWOT forums that would obviously exist forever. But you have been entirely vindicated. You've won. And I know this has been a common theme of speculation since about 2015, and has always been wrong so far, but if you can hold out six more months, I bet you will outlast Cracked.com entirely.

I guess I'm a little bit sad. Cracked had a good article just a couple of days ago. If I was able to comment, I would have said so. But nine times out of ten nowadays, I either didn't want to waste any more time on their 18th glorified retweet of the day than it took to read it, or I went to the comments specifically hoping to see a voice of reason pointing out what an insult it is that they'd publish the shit they publish now. Often, frighteningly, there were no such voices; just frantic agreement that yes, Donald Trump is orange, and yes, that is as deep as we need to delve into the political zeitgeist. The recent 2-3 comments on articles, when indeed articles like "Look, Pepsi are advertising, and it is a heckin big mood" had any comments at all, were not worth reading. Very little of value has been lost. If anything, I am less angry at what has been removed than I am at what remains.

Thank you guys, at least, for providing approximately one good post a day. You really have won.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Re: The Comment Section 1 Cracked 0

Postby JamishT » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:47 am

I dunno, I commented on the article and read some comments on it, and then read and commented on this one, so maybe it was just down when you read them? OR MAYBE YOU'RE AN UNDERCOVER CRACKED AGENT TRYING TO LURE US BACK THERE!

EDIT: I refreshed the page the article I linked was on and now I can't load anymore comments than the first three, which has been my experience in the last few months when I've occasionally dropped in to see what's up.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:42 pm

R-really? In that case, maybe it's just a bug in the website completely ruining the experience for me and only me, rather than a deliberate conspiracy. I'd gloat about their ineptitude, but, well, I did that last year. And the year before that. It's amazing what websites can get away with when you visit them out of compulsive habit.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Am I the only one who keeps forgetting that Cracked still exists? I kind of thought they got sucked into a black hole of their own self-righteousness shortly after they fired a bunch of their full-time writers, but I keep hearing about them from random people every once in a while. Anyway, I just looked at an article on my phone, and didn't see any space for comments (it just scrolled into another article).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:26 pm

The only reason I know Cracked still exists is because it keeps popping up in my facebook feed.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:18 am

I almost never see anything from Cracked in my Facebook feed. Are you their fan on Facebook? My Facebook friends are almost exclusively the sort of woke Twitterati Internet power-users that you'd expect to love Cracked, and yet they almost never share anything from them. They didn't even share their articles back when Cracked actually put effort into their articles.

I keep expecting Cracked to go out of business (obviously), but most of my job is web hosting and I can assure you that it doesn't cost much to keep a website online. It costs even less when half your articles are cobbled together from past ones or harvested from surveys you did on Facebook, and less still when you don't employ anyone who knows how to fix website bugs, or even spell correctly. Nevertheless, I go on Cracked at work (#fuckthepolice) and my work computer doesn't have Adblock installed, so I see the full range of their advertising. And there isn't any. All that white space at the sides of the articles really is just white space. Even the "Doctors Hate Her" adverts don't bother advertising there now. So however much it costs to renew the domain each year and host old articles, they're just eating those costs as far as I can tell.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:35 am

Definitely not their fan on Facebook. As for their website. I got a paypal commercial and a logitech ad. Those were certainly not targeted as I never get those on Facebook.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:29 pm

I was scrolling through my google news feed yesterday and a cracked article popped up. I lol'd and kept scrolling. God was it really that long ago I waited for 9 a.m. for the new shit to be posted so I could laugh my ass off before work and say something dumb and snarky in the comments?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby BinaryStep » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:24 pm

It's official. Cracked is finally dead. Thanks, Literally Media.

Did You Know?
Getting shot can increase your
BULLET RESISTANCE
BinaryStep
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: White Lightning

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:12 am

BinaryStep wrote:It's official. Cracked is finally dead. Thanks, Literally Media.

Where is this being made official? How are you defining "dead"?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:28 am

Oh I've seen this one before. The bad guy will die only to be resurrected again and again and again. It's just like Apophis, I mean Cracked, to do this.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:38 pm

That's right! Dead serious about going to Itchy & Scratchy Land!

But to be even more serious than that, I have checked a few places I would have expected to mention it (David Wong's Twitter profile, Jack O'Brien's Twitter profile, Literally Media's website, even the actual Cracked.com itself) and I can't see any news of it. I think we've been had.

On a side note, given that the comments section of Cracked articles have all been removed, where are all these comments on their articles coming from?
cracked mystery comments.png
cracked mystery comments.png (623.97 KiB) Viewed 6889 times

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep