The Killings of Walter White: Season 4 (*SPOILERS*)

Got a story you want to be featured on the front page / portal?

Here's where it gets done.

Moderator: Learned Nand

The Killings of Walter White: Season 4 (*SPOILERS*)

Postby malosaires » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:29 am

(Link: Part 1)

(Link: Part 2)

(Link: Part 3)

The Killings of Walter White: Season 4

Throughout its run, “Breaking Bad” has focused in part on killing, and its morality in various situations. However in the fourth season, the show focuses almost entirely on killing, and whether Walter will be able to kill Gustavo Fring.

Walt’s motivation is similar to his motivation during confrontations with past enemies. Walt is trying to survive, just as he was when he killed Emilio, Domingo, Tuco, and Gale, but being held under Gus’ thumb, being constantly monitored, having his movements regulated to ensure he can be killed at a moments notice, has made survival a power game. I have heard it said of cancer patients that every day lived is a victory, and a warped version of this axiom is at play here. Staying alive isn't merely a matter of survival; it is a triumph over an oppressor, a triumph over weakness, and in a way, a triumph over death. He is the one who knocks.

One of the best scenes in the entire show.

There is a scene in the second season when, after being told that he is in remission, Walt punches a towel dispenser grunting “Yeah.” This shows us the attitude that Walter White has towards triumphing over death. But now death has been personified, a grim figure in a black suit, holding the box cutter of Damocles over Walt’s head, always watching, waiting for the exact moment that Walt becomes unnecessary. Killing Gus becomes a matter of triumphing over the seeming inevitability of death, and at the end of the season, as Walt put it, “I won.”

A more complete recap.

That was all that mattered to him in the end. Hector Salamanca’s death was inconsequential, and was in some ways beneficial, as it fully eliminated the threat of the drug cartels. The two men Walt killed in the lab were necessary to ensure the police would think Heisenberg was dead, and they were nothing but grunts to Walt. The quality of his victory was only added to by the fact that this was the first of Walter’s plans to ever go off without a hitch, and for which he suffered no negative consequences. And all that he needed to do was poison a child.

Walt’s poisoning of Brock and lying to Jesse about the poisoning marks this as his lowest point thus far, but his actions are justified by the same reasoning he has used in all of his killings up to this point. Walt and his family are in imminent danger, as Gus has sworn to kill them in retaliation for Walt’s actions. Walt has shown that he has no problem with manipulating others to commit or help facilitate his killings when caught in this position, justifying the manipulation of Jesse and the assisted suicide of Hector. And, he is entirely willing to let the innocent die to save himself, thus justifying the poisoning of Brock.

Some have tried to downplay the impact of Walt poisoning a child by saying that Walt knew that he wouldn't die from the poison, but this is entirely inconsequential, as it relates to what the writers are trying to communicate about Walt. Would Walt’s actions have been in any way different if the poison had been fatal or not? He has shown that he is willing to let the innocent die in his name, so why would he value the life of this boy? He has no connection to Brock, and he was willing to endanger Brock’s life for personal gain. The fact that Brock lived is inconsequential because at this point it did not matter to Walt whether Brock lived or died.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Breaking Bad Season 5 Part 2 starts tomorrow, August 11th at 9pm EST. Hope ya'll are ready.

malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist

Re: The Killings of Walter White: Season 4 (*SPOILERS*)

Postby JamesT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:44 am

After reading the article I just replayed that "one who knocks" speech over again. That is some powerful stuff right there.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Typical Michael » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:49 am

JamesT wrote:After reading the article I just replayed that "one who knocks" speech over again. That is some powerful stuff right there.

It is probably one of the best speeches in recent years. I wanted to go out and chainsaw something after I saw it. I wish I was the one who knocks.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby JamesT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:57 am

Typical Michael wrote:
JamesT wrote:After reading the article I just replayed that "one who knocks" speech over again. That is some powerful stuff right there.

It is probably one of the best speeches in recent years. I wanted to go out and chainsaw something after I saw it. I wish I was the one who knocks.

I do too. Unfortunately I'm the one who rings the doorbell then leaves before the person comes out because I'm too nervous to stay.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 am

JamesT wrote:
Typical Michael wrote:

I do too. Unfortunately I'm the one who rings the doorbell then leaves before the person comes out because I'm too nervous to stay.

Whoa.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby malosaires » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:44 am

The weird thing about it is that it's given at a point of complete weakness. Walt has just been rebuffed in his attempt to kill Gus himself, and his attempt to get Mike on his side got him punched in the face. He's alone and without control, but he's trying to look powerful. And once it's over, you can see at the end that he almost keeps talking, but gives up and goes to take a shower.

That speech isn't a power moment. It's a blowfish moment.

I've got a tumblr where I write about stuff, some of which is also on this site. I've also got a few videos you might wanna check out.
malosaires
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pre-Futurist