Random thoughts...

The Web's foremost Forum Games place. Role Playing Games. Whimsy; here we let encourage you to run around with scissors.
Forum rules
The Web's foremost Forum Games place.

Re: Random thoughts...

Postby Krashlia » Fri May 21, 2021 5:47 am

Given that Niea Under 7 takes place after Lain... What did Lain mean by setting up their world, and having the aliens settle on the planet?

Also, I was told that the ED sounds similar to "Home is where the Heart Is" by Charles Manson.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 25, 2021 9:27 pm

We're basically beta testing all this cool technology for people who won't be alive for a few generations.

Is how I feel when something doesn't work properly and needs a reboot or other simple fix.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Krashlia » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:39 pm

Scottish Muhammad.

Pretty much the story of Muhammad ibn Abdullah, except done by Scots.

(Someone try writing it out in a scottish accent)

Thairr be noh dia baht Dia, end [Ionmholta/Moladh] es hees proafeht!

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm

If this is the last time I'm heard from you'll know why.

So here in America we have biscuits. They're fluffy pastries that we slap butter in and serve with meals. This is not the case in the U.K. where they call those scones and biscuits are made with sweet dough and baked to be hard and flat. Yet in America we have a manufacturer of multiple beloved snack products named Nabisco which is shorthand for its original name National Biscuit Company. They do not make fresh pastry products. They primarily make cookies and crackers. Is this an insidious plot by big business to get Americans to switch their thinking of biscuits from delicious warming morning comfort food to BelVita hard discs? Where are the true patriots? Why has this been allowed to happen? I don't know but I'm almost afraid to look further.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Being foreign myself (well, obviously you're the foreign one and I'm normal), I have had this conversation several times with Americans. I think there is a region of America where they say biscuits to mean the crunchy chocolate baked goods, like we do, and it's only certain states where a biscuit is whatever you say it is (I thought it was like a 3D pancake that's roughly the size of a loaf of bread?). So it might be another pop/soda/Coke situation.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:53 pm

I had to get grills for my speakers so that cats don't claw them up. A little bit of prevention saves a lot of money in the long run. So I did it!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:08 am

There's some tech company that will buy employees any book they want to read.

I probably average around a book or two a week, but with a benefit like that, you know I'd be reading more.

I wonder if; were I to work at a company like that, I would end up singlehandedly responsible for them revoking or limiting said benefit.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:19 am

Pedgerow wrote:Being foreign myself (well, obviously you're the foreign one and I'm normal), I have had this conversation several times with Americans. I think there is a region of America where they say biscuits to mean the crunchy chocolate baked goods, like we do, and it's only certain states where a biscuit is whatever you say it is (I thought it was like a 3D pancake that's roughly the size of a loaf of bread?). So it might be another pop/soda/Coke situation.

A biscuit (in NJ, at least) is nowhere near that big. I tried to find a picture that showed the size, but this is the best I could find. Suffice to say they easily fit in the palm of one hand:
Spoiler: show

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:43 pm

Pedgerow wrote:Being foreign myself (well, obviously you're the foreign one and I'm normal), I have had this conversation several times with Americans. I think there is a region of America where they say biscuits to mean the crunchy chocolate baked goods, like we do, and it's only certain states where a biscuit is whatever you say it is (I thought it was like a 3D pancake that's roughly the size of a loaf of bread?). So it might be another pop/soda/Coke situation.

Then the National Biscuit Company was named improperly and that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:40 pm

I hate what a good poem The White Man's Burden is. The message, of course, is contemptible. It was clearly a condescending, hypocritical, and racist message eve at the time, and was roundly mocked with contemporary parodies and political cartoons.

But it's full of highly memorable, well-crafted lines in pretty much every stanza. In fact, almost everything in the poem that isn't racist is great, and honestly, even some of the racist stuff is well-crafted.

Rudyard Kipling wrote:"Go bind your sons to exile"

"In patience to abide, / To veil the threat of terror / And check the show of pride;"

"The savage wars of peace— / Fill full the mouth of Famine / And bid the sickness cease;"

"No tawdry rule of kings, / But toil of serf and sweeper— / The tale of common things."

"The ports ye shall not enter, / The roads ye shall not tread, / Go make them with your living, / And mark them with your dead!"

"Why brought ye us from bondage, / Our loved Egyptian night?"

"Ye dare not stoop to less / Nor call too loud on Freedom / To cloak your weariness;"

"Have done with childish days— / The lightly proffered laurel, / The easy, ungrudged praise."

"Through all the thankless years, / Cold-edged with dear-bought wisdom, / The judgment of your peers!"

Goddamn, I'd love to quote those, but, of course, anyone who recognizes them would look on me really suspect if I were to do that.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:50 pm

"American Citizens! Be aware, that envoys and ambassadors of The United Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Wales have come to the Country! By Order of the Executive, All mockery of the British and their Gun Laws shall be kept to an appropriate minimum!"

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Maybe they're called elbows because they bow your arm into an L-shape? L-bows.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:37 am

@Pedegrow: No, but good folk etymology.

Anyways, if I launch a tea company, I'm going to offer a lapsang souchang (smoked black tea) flavored with osmanthus (peach-like floral aroma). I'm thinking I'll call it "Atlanta breakfast."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:54 am

A thing that Ancient Kings used to do was used to do was engage in provokation against their neighbors, in order to develop a Casus Belli against them. In some texts the term for this behavior was called, "searching for an occassion against..."

All this brings me to the Bible, in the book of Exodus. Searching for an occassion against the Pharaoh was exactly what God was doing. In fact, that "I Am" was looking for an excuse was something "I Am" pretty much told Moses in Exodus 3: 19 - 20.

Notice that, in spite of the fact that they aimed to liberate the Israelites, the first worded demand made of the Pharaoh wasn't, "Let My People Go!". But instead, "Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness." A relatively minor request that YHWH wasn't actually interested in, and that everyone knew the Pharaoh wouldn't conceed.

"Com'on, its just a little feast. Just let our people be outside for a little bit and throw a little party. Just three days away. Nothing serious."

"What the Hell?! NO! NEVER! WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!"

"Wow, You got that, guys? (Resigned shrug) Oh well, we tried asking nicely. But the hard way it is. See you at the Nile."

EDIT:
Moses: My Lord, how should I confront the Pharaoh?

The Lord: We're gonna do a little trolling.

Last edited by Krashlia on Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:12 am

I'm pretty sure this "searching for an occassion against..." Stuff was what the Armarna Letters were all about.

"My Brother, Send Gold."
"My Brother, will you send Gold?"
"My brother, oh how shameful my brother. For I requested gold, but you did not send it my brother. I'll have to take it by force."

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext