Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead at 87

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead at 87

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:15 am

link

Apparently she served on the Supreme Court since 1993 (I thought longer). She died of complications from metastatic pancreatic cancer earlier today. RIP.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Re: Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg dead at 87

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:28 am

Not being a liberal, my feelings about Ginsberg are that she was a perfectly adequate liberal justice, but nothing exceptional aside from her gender. It's sad she passed though, and cervical cancer is a shitty way to go. I'm also not much one for decorum, so I'm gonna leap right into the politics of her death.

In a move that should surprise no one, Moscow Mitch immediately called for the seat to be filled, in the same press release that he expressed condolences.

Spoiler: show

Stripped down to the basic propositions: "we had the power to block Garland, so we did. Now we have the power to replace Ginsberg, so we will." Interestingly, Moscow Mitch doesn't claim that Americans elected Trump. Wonder if he's an oversight, or if he expects to be corrected if he does that.

In a display of incompetence that should surprise no one familiar with him, Chuck Schumer didn't even express condolences for Ginsburg's death before saying the seat should be filled by the next president. Republicans on Twitter are having a field day with that.

Ginsberg expressed her dying wish that her seat be filled by the next president, to which Republicans are responding with her quote that nothing in the Constitution says Senators should wait in an election year. This, of course, conveniently ignores the fact that Mitch McConnell started a brand-new precedent when he invented the "Biden rule." (Biden's actual proposal was that vacancies close to an election should be filled in the lame duck session, meaning McConnell may end up reverting to the actual Biden rule.)

That said, if she wanted to retire under a Democratic president, she should have retired under Obama. I don't know if she thought that only she could do what she did, or wanted the first female president to appoint her successor, or just really liked her job, but whatever her reasoning, it was an act of hubris.

Many Republicans, meanwhile, are hitting back that we need nine seats in case the election is contested. I've seen the tweets, but I'll include this one from a journalist.

Spoiler: show

Funny how that wasn't a concern for them in 2016. Funny how it's necessary to have an extra Trump judge to weigh in an on election he's promised to contest if he loses no matter what the circumstance.

Just before Ginsburg died, Lisa Murkowski said in an interview that she wouldn't support filling RBG's seat if she passed. While I'm sure she regrets the timing, Lisa Murkowski showed with her Kavanaugh vote that she's willing to buck McConnell on these things.

Chuck Grassley, Susan Collins, and Lindsay Graham, at a minimum, are all on record saying during the Garland thing that they wouldn't let president Trump fill a hypothetical vacancy in 2016 either. There may be other sitting GOP senators who've said the same thing, but I'm not sure. Grassley is retiring in two years, while Graham and Collins face tough Senate races. It's not clear, given how red South Carolina is, what the wise move for Graham is, but it's clear that what the smart one for Collins is. I'm therefore sure that she will honor her word as long as she's not the 51st vote against Trump's nominee. A lot of people are putting their hopes in Romney, which strikes me as ridiculous. As long as Trump doesn't nominate someone manifestly unqualified, Romney has an interest in confirming conservative judges.

I've called Senator Cornyn's office and told him that if Trump's nominee is confirmed, I will not only be voting for Hegar, but donating to her and campaigning for her as well. Cornyn not only sits on the judiciary committee, but is one of the few GOP senators up for re-election for whom a vote to confirm could make them substantially more vulnerable (the others are Collins, David Perdue, and maybe Joni Ernst; all the remaining GOP senators up for re-election are either so far behind (Gardner, McSally, Tillis) or so far ahead it doesn't matter, or are running in deeply red states (Alaska, South Carolina, Montana), where the calculus is unclear. I still expect Cornyn to rush through confirmation, but unlike Ted Cruz, who also sits on the Judiciary Committee there's not no hope.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:12 pm

It's announced first here. I'm going to replace her position on the supreme court.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:03 pm

Totally called Mitch and Graham's reasoning last year.

Crimson847 wrote:Even now, I'll bet you my last dollar there will be people defending his consistency on this who sincerely believe the bullshit that comes out of their mouths ("A GOP Congress and Democratic President indicates that the people are conflicted and divided, whereas since we have both the Senate and the WH that indicates that the people are really united behind us"). And they'll keep doing it, because who has the standing to call them out?

If anyone's interested in my psychic visions of how the election turns out, I predict Biden will win the popular vote and the vote-counting process will be a clusterfuck that makes 2000 look like a beautiful day in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

EDIT: Oh, two more predictions: the GOP won't overturn Roe even with a 7-2 majority, and the pro-life movement's response to that will be lit.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Crimson847 wrote:
If anyone's interested in my psychic visions of how the election turns out, I predict Biden will win the popular vote and the vote-counting process will be a clusterfuck that makes 2000 look like a beautiful day in Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

EDIT: Oh, two more predictions: the GOP won't overturn Roe even with a 7-2 majority, and the pro-life movement's response to that will be lit.

It could be made even more entertaining for everyone. If Trump is going to nominate anyone and the Republicans enable him to, then its got to be a woman of Hispanic, Black, or Jewish heritage or ethnicity. Why? Because if this year is going to be rocked with conflicts, at least some of us could derive entertainment from the mental gymnastics, latent social pathologies coming to light, and overall confused reactions.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep