The Trump impeachment inquiry is underway

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: The Trump impeachment inquiry is underway

Postby tinyrick » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:36 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:So, Schiff, Engel, and Cummings released a trove of text messages. It's over. There's no coming back from this.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 am

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby JamishT » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:17 am

Trump's decision to let Turkey deal with the terrorists on their border (which is a funny way to say slaughter the people who actually beat ISIS and were our vital allies, but fuck em, I guess) has upset a LOT of his usual defenders. Of course he may walk it back and nothing will change, or life will simply go on and nothing will change. But maybe something will happen?

(Mitt's never been a strong defender of Trump, to be fair)

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Absentia » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Two Rudy Giuliani associates were arrested today, reportedly as they made plans to flee the country. The men are charged with illegally funneling money from a Russian donor to former GOP congressman Pete Sessions, apparently in exchange for his support in replacing the US ambassador to Ukraine with someone more amenable to Trump's various corrupt schemes involving the country.

These same men are known to have worked in Ukraine on Giuliani's behalf in the effort to uncover (or fabricate) dirt on the Bidens. If they cut a deal in exchange for their testimony, they could be the star witnesses in Trump impeachment proceedings as well as a possible federal trial against Giuliani.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm

In fairness, a lot of politicians get a lot of money from a lot of unsavory people. It's a feature of our campaign finance system, and nothing in those articles suggest that any of these politicians were aware of the source of the money. I wouldn't put it past them, just at this point there are far stronger reasons to dislike most of these people.

On another note, Steven Pinker has an article in the NYT helpfully explaining the quid pro quo. You wouldn't think this would need to be laid out so clearly, and yet Trump's supporters are still crowing that anything short of Trump explicitly saying "I won't give you the military aid Congress allocated for you and which you badly need against Russia unless you investigate the Bidens. And if you can't find actual wrongdoing, you need to make it up" totally exonerates him.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:23 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Trump really does hire the best people.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Absentia » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:07 pm

I swear, trying to keep up with everything swirling around the White House makes me feel like I'm watching this movie on fast forward. The avalanche of shit is picking up speed as it rolls downhill. It's 5 pm on the east coast, and just today:

Former EU ambassador Gordon Sondland testifies to the House and says he was directed by Trump to follow Giuliani's orders regarding Ukraine. It's pretty clear that Sondland is trying to downplay the extent to which he was responsible, presumably because he's afraid of going to prison.

Mick Mulvaney gives a crazy press conference where he admits that the Ukrainians were told that military aid was contingent on their cooperation with the "corruption" investigation, says this is fine, and critics should "get over it".

In the same fucking presser, Mulvaney announces that next year's G7 summit will be held at Trump's Doral resort. The president just awarded himself a no-bid contract worth perhaps tens of millions of dollars. This is banana republic tier corruption.

Pence and Pompeo go to Turkey to negotiate a "ceasefire" where Erdogan gets everything he wants and avoids US sanctions in exchange for the Kurds getting five days to leave their homes and retreat into Assad territory. This from the man who assures us he makes the best deals.

In an interview defending this deal, Trump says that Turkey "had to have [the area] cleaned out". So, you know, this is a cleansing. Of an ethnic minority. What's the word for that, again?

And literally as I was typing this post, Rick Perry announces he will resign as Secretary of Energy. Again, I'm guessing Rick is worried about his legal exposure. Hopefully he'll testify soon.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:36 am

Absentia, oh Absentia! You just don't understand that Trump is playing 69-dimensional chess.

You notice how you couldn't help but to talk not only about the Ukraine thing but also the Syria fuckup and the emoluments violations? And I promise you, there is a lot more to come.

And then, come the 2020 elections, the Democrats won't be able to decide on one line of attack. Republicans will then declare that Democrats are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks after collusion with Russia didn't pan out, and also look at the Bidens' Ukraine corruption or Warren's "Fauxcohantas" scandal or this guy we paid to say Mayor Pete raped him.

He will go on win the election handily, carrying every state except New York and California; which he will only "lose" (along with the totally irrelevant popular vote) because of three billion votes by illegal Ukrainian Kurdish ISIS members.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:33 pm

You know, with the Syria thing and the Mulaney thing, I thought that there was a chance Senate Republicans might actually be willing to remove Trump and take their 2020 chances with Pence.

But polls show that white evangelicals are mostly of the position that there's absolutely nothing Trump could do to lose their support, and since white evangelicals dominate GOP primaries in red states, I'm back to "when Houston freezes over."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:07 pm

cmsellers wrote:You know, with the Syria thing and the Mulaney thing, I thought that there was a chance Senate Republicans might actually be willing to remove Trump and take their 2020 chances with Pence.

But polls show that white evangelicals are mostly of the position that there's absolutely nothing Trump could do to lose their support, and since white evangelicals dominate GOP primaries in red states, I'm back to "when Houston freezes over."

White evangelicals are single-issue voters. If Trump openly came out in support of abortion, they would desert him.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby cmsellers » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:24 pm

Honestly, I feel like at this point it's become such a matter of identity politics that lot of them, especially the older ones, would even be OK with abortion if Trump proposed making it mandatory for brown people.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:37 am

Apparently, "no quid pro quo" as a talking point comes directly from Trump, who had the ingenious idea of explicitly saying basically "this totally isn't a quid pro quo, cross my heart and hope for Eric to die, but if you don't investigate the Bidens we can't continue our security cooperation."

Which, I guess, is the same sort of logic you find behind phrases like "no offense," "no homo," and "believe me."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext