Anime and Manga

What do you do with your free time?

Re: Anime and Manga

Postby DangerChocomog » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:They're 50/50 in my opinion.

As for my favorites, my favorite anime are Ranma 1/2, Outlaw Star,Zero No Tsukaima, Shingeki no Kyojin, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, and Railgun.

My favorite manga are anything by Tezuka-sensei, Ichigo 100%,One Piece, Hikaru no Go,Bakuman, Toriko, A Cheeky Angel, and Girl Friends.

My least favorite anime are Green Green and H2O: Footprints in the Sand

Goodness, Ranma 1/2. Now I feel 16 again and in love with Shampoo.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.
DangerChocomog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Techno Hippie

Reboot

Postby Jack Road » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Hell yes, son, I'm bringing it back.

May I present, for your education and delight. Bayonetta: Bloody Fate, based on the PS3 and 360 game of the same name.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Some new-(ish) anime favorites I've discovered:

-Baby Steps: an anime about tennis. It basically follows a super-popular kid with an ambiguous disorder(aspergers or super OCD or something) that gets inspired by some popular girl to take up tennis. He's quite awesome at it, due to his analysis of the court (he specializes in covering and control), which make him almost nigh-invulnerable post time skip. His opponents are a bit awkward to accept that they're supposedly the best in the entire prefecture during the second tournament arc, though it's not nearly as bad as Eyeshield 21. It's also the anime where I got the gif of the running guy that passes out.
Spoiler: show

-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun: It's a gag series and affectionate but deconstructive parody of shoujo manga. It basically follows a girl named Chiyo Sakura, who confesses her love to the eponymous Nozaki Umetaro. Nozaki misinterprets her confession, however, and Chiyo winds up as his assistant (he's a mangaka).

-Tokyo ESP: It's a spin-off of the Ga Rei series, and essentially an X-Men Ripoff (The main character is essentially a non-autistic and slightly more developed Shiina Mashiro from Sakurasou with white hair and Kitty Pride's powers). Though instead of being mutants, people get their powers from being rammed into by these schools of golden, glowing magical fish that only can be seen by the soon to be ESPer, because Japan. Also the anime has Steven Segal. He owns a bar. It is awesome.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Bromo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 am

Favorite anime: Another, Future Diary, Inuyasha, and Urusei Yatsura, just to name a few...

Favorite manga: Sailor Moon, Omamori Himari, Inuyasha, Urusei Yatsura, Pokémon Adventures, etc.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby Bromo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:41 am

Here's a crazy anime that I discovered a few months ago; it's called Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt.

First off, no, it's not a western cartoon, although its art style is western-y-ish.

PSWG is about two not-so-virtuous angels named Panty and Stocking (the blond = Panty; Goth = Stocking), who got kicked out of heaven.

Hmm, I wonder why...

Anyway, Panty and Stocking, led by their black Roman Catholic priest with a kickass afro (they also have a ragdoll dog named Chuck who's main purpose is to get the snot beat out of him), fight ghosts together in order to gain coins called Heavens, in order to gain entrance back into Heaven. Wait, things get weirder: Panty and Stocking both use weapons corresponding to their own names: Panty uses a gun that transformed from her own panties, while Stocking uses a katana from one of her stockings.

Once the panties drop, you drop... DEAD

I could go on and on about the WTF-ness of this show, but I think you got the idea already.

I highly recommend this show to all of you; both its sub and dub are AMAZING!

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Knottypile » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I'm pretty picky about anime... favourite would probably be Gurren Lagaan. Watching Kill la Kill and FLCL at the moment. Not into manga.

Knottypile
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Don't despair.

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Knottypile wrote:I'm pretty picky about anime... favourite would probably be Gurren Lagaan. Watching Kill la Kill and FLCL at the moment. Not into manga.

FLCL! Loved FLCL. It was the first time I wanted to try cosplay (I haven't) as I wanted very much to dress up like Haruko.

I also have very particular tastes regarding anime. I love Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (as it is all but straight off the manga).

I get that you aren't into manga, but in some cases, you're really missing out. Terraformars, Claymore, Black Butler, Aoi no Exorcist-in every case, the manga is quite superior to the anime.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 pm

There's this crazy new anime called The Rolling Girls where all of Japan's Prefectures become their own countries after a 10 year civil war, and instead of fighting each other through further war, each of the new countries send out their representatives, called "Bests" to fight. There's a girl who fights in a green super sentai outfit, a twentysomething Ane-san type woman who fights with a giant safety pin, and a guy who wears a crocodile head mask thing. Because Japan.

Oh, and you people have to check out Your Lie In April. It's an amazing Music-genre anime about a former child piano prodigy who loses the ability to play after the death of his mother, and the ill girl who re-inspires him.

I've been reading this crazy cooking manga lately called "Shokugeki no Soma". Basically, a kid named Soma enrolls in an elite cooking school with a 10% graduation rate. He's looked down upon as a commoner and chef from a family restaurant, and constantly challenged to food battles in order to drive him out. Also, his food is so good, that it shreds clothing. Literally.

Oddly, a lot of the students, as well as the main antagonist, Erina, don't seem to actually enjoy cooking. They seem to be more just a school of people centered around boasting about using fancy ingredients, and essentially all but bash you upside the head with a perfectly marbled and marinated A5 grade steak, shouting "LOOK HOW FANCY THIS IS! LOOK HOW FANCY THIS IS!" between long bouts of insecure, teen angst filled sobbing. I don't know if it's the fault of poor wring when it comes to minor characters or an intentional caricature, but a lot of them seem to be more invested in the quality of the food rather than the food itself.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Bromo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:There's this crazy new anime called The Rolling Girls where all of Japan's Prefectures become their own countries after a 10 year civil war, and instead of fighting each other through further war, each of the new countries send out their representatives, called "Bests" to fight. There's a girl who fights in a green super sentai outfit, a twentysomething Ane-san type woman who fights with a giant safety pin, and a guy who wears a crocodile head mask thing. Because Japan.

This anime sounds very funny. I hope it can make me laugh just as hard as Lucky Star and Panty & Stocking did.

Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:00 am

So, there's this pretty fun new ecchi series out called Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha. It's like Highschool D X D , but with less fanservice and a strong male lead.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Lately , I've been reading Yamada and the Seven Witches, a hilarious seinen romcom about high school students with kissing-activated superpowers.

Also, Shokugeki no Souma really improved a lot.

Both series will be getting anime adaptations next season.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:10 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:I've been reading this crazy cooking manga lately called "Shokugeki no Soma". Basically, a kid named Soma enrolls in an elite cooking school with a 10% graduation rate. He's looked down upon as a commoner and chef from a family restaurant, and constantly challenged to food battles in order to drive him out. Also, his food is so good, that it shreds clothing. Literally.

Oddly, a lot of the students, as well as the main antagonist, Erina, don't seem to actually enjoy cooking. They seem to be more just a school of people centered around boasting about using fancy ingredients, and essentially all but bash you upside the head with a perfectly marbled and marinated A5 grade steak, shouting "LOOK HOW FANCY THIS IS! LOOK HOW FANCY THIS IS!" between long bouts of insecure, teen angst filled sobbing. I don't know if it's the fault of poor wring when it comes to minor characters or an intentional caricature, but a lot of them seem to be more invested in the quality of the food rather than the food itself.

You'd be amazed how common that is in the world of professional cooking. Grown men freaking out because their salsiccia isn't house cured or something. Sounds like they caught that mindset pretty well. I'll have to check that out.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Matthew Notch wrote:
Ericthebearjew wrote:I've been reading this crazy cooking manga lately called "Shokugeki no Soma". Basically, a kid named Soma enrolls in an elite cooking school with a 10% graduation rate. He's looked down upon as a commoner and chef from a family restaurant, and constantly challenged to food battles in order to drive him out. Also, his food is so good, that it shreds clothing. Literally.

You'd be amazed how common that is in the world of professional cooking. Grown men freaking out because their salsiccia isn't house cured or something. Sounds like they caught that mindset pretty well. I'll have to check that out.

But does their food shred clothing?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:26 pm

Ericthebearjew wrote:
Matthew Notch wrote:

But does their food shred clothing?

The spicy burrittos shred the ass.

And Kevin, totally saw Panty and Garter ready made cosplay costumes.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:28 pm

I can only say this, Eric: my food has, in the past, caused clothing to be torn off. Read into that what you will. :P

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

PreviousNext