Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 am

I've determined that every day at almost exactly 11 PM my internet goes out. Fortunately, in this particular case, turning it off and on again fixes it, which means that in the grand scheme of ATT shittiness, this registers as a minor annoyance.

Still, I wonder what on earth could be causing this? I assume it's somehow connected to midnight in the Eastern Standard Time Zone.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:34 pm

I think some providers switch things off if they think everyone's asleep. My Internet struggles a little after midnight most nights, then picks back up again a couple of minutes later, as if the bandwidth is reconfiguring or something. I also used to live somewhere where all the lights in the house would dim at exactly 11:54pm every single night.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 am

When I'm on the line at work, gradually dissociating from reality and turning into a machine, I sometimes remember songs that I haven't heard on the radio in years (usually because they're too old for the oldies stations, which only rarely play anything from the 1970s and never anything earlier nowadays). But before I can go on break and write them down to look up online later, I forget them.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 am

I've been buying bird toys off Amazon for months, and Amazon has not figured out that I have a parrot.

I bought one pair of generic pet nail clippers and Amazon replaced the "buy it again" column on the order page with this.

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.54.51 PM.png
There's a whole column of this stuff, but this gets the idea across.
Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 7.54.51 PM.png (63.13 KiB) Viewed 5499 times

This gets onto one of my literal pet peeves of people who think that "pet" means "dog," full stop.

No, Amazon, I do not and will never have a dog.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 10, 2021 8:25 pm

For the second time in 2 months I'm having controller issues with Steam. It's a minor annoyance because I can still use it in big picture mode but I use Steam to open other launchers so I can use my Switch Pro controller. Other launchers like Epic and Rockstar's don't support the Switch Pro controller. But if you open them through Steam the controller works.

It loads my controller configuration when I open Steam but not the fact that I'm using a gamepad. It used to load both instantly and idk how to get it to recognize I'm using a gamepad before starting a game. And if I don't open a game while in "big picture mode" which is set up for TV use with a controller then the gamepad isn't recognized at all despite Steam settings and Windows both being like "yeah that's a Switch Pro Controller".

Basically I want to play Enter the Gungeon and I have it on Epic but I'm not using mouse and keyboard to play it because I'm a big baby and that'll hurt my hands. I'm sure Steam support will figure it out so in the meantime I'm just playing the Steam games I have.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 16, 2021 8:50 pm

Steam support said they were able to replicate my issue, passed it on to the dev team, and suggested I switch over to the beta client for quicker updates. Shortly after that everything worked as it used to. Now I'm back to Gungeoneering on a regular basis.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:42 am

I burned two fingers on my right hand taking something out of the microwave more than a week ago, and I still can't close them properly (hot liquids on paper plates are fun like that, apparently).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed May 26, 2021 12:48 am

I dun goofed at work today. My work computer has a Downloads folder, managed in the Linux way, and it fills up with crap regularly but I also keep some precious and beloved things in there for sentimental value. And I often delete all the crap, while preserving the old video of me at the work Christmas party in 2017, and things like that. Anyway, you can probably guess where this is going. I assume you all know how Linux commands work, so let's say my Downloads folder contained crap-file1, crap-file1a, crap-file1b, important-fileA and important-fileB. I aimed to type

Code: Select all
rm crap-file*

but instead I typed

Code: Select all
rm crap-file1 *

somehow, and deleted everything, including all my precious and beloved files that obviously won't be backed up anywhere. Goddamn it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:27 am

For the second day in a row, it was really humid, and now there's a thunderstorm.

Florida called, and they said we can keep their weather.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 am

I'm going to eventually tear up the whole thing and plant landscaping, but in the mean time I paid my neighbor to mow my lawn, because I don't want to get a fucking lawnmower and do it myself.

The previous owners had some lilies they'd planted at the base of the tree in front of the house.

It appears that he weed-whacked everything down to the ground there and mulched it with the grass clippings.

On one hand, if that killed the lilies, I'm disappointed. On the other hand, I admire his commitment to getting everything.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:28 pm

I love when coupons on my phone don't show up on my phone at the drive-thru of the store they're meant to be for. (Krispy Kreme doughnuts, in this case.)

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:36 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I love when coupons on my phone don't show up on my phone at the drive-thru of the store they're meant to be for. (Krispy Kreme doughnuts, in this case.)

Why are you paying for Krispy Kreme at all? Are you not vaccinated?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:27 pm

cmsellers wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I love when coupons on my phone don't show up on my phone at the drive-thru of the store they're meant to be for. (Krispy Kreme doughnuts, in this case.)

Why are you paying for Krispy Kreme at all? Are you not vaccinated?

I am, but a) I keep losing track of who's offering what, b) I keep forgetting my card at home, and c) I'm not sure if it matters for free stuff, but when I got the second shot, no one filled out my card, and I didn't notice until I got home.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Does anyone have the Yummly app on their phone? If so, do you know how I can get it to log in without going into Safari and being a pain in the ass?

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:31 am

So there's a website I'd started getting my non-baking chocolate from, an order every few weeks since I discovered it. I use the past perfect because one of their execs had a bright idea that probably put an end to that.

See, I tried to log in and it tried to send me a two-factor authentication code. I was struck by the fact that A. I'm using the same IP address as always, and B. I definitely hadn't set up two-factor authentication.

"Oh well, I figure. I'll log on and then disable it in settings."

Put the code in, and it takes me to the next page: they're setting up two-factor and it's mandatory.

Fuck that noise!

I sent them an email telling them that they've lost a reliable customer for as long as this policy remains in place.

I feel like some executive (though this seems to be a fairly small company), just learned that two-factor authentication is vastly more secure and decided to require it.

The problem is, security isn't free; it comes at the cost of UX and accessibility. Part of good cybersecurity is knowing when that tradeoff is worthwhile. When the most sensitive information you have is my home address (which is public record anyways), and you make your money by selling things that are nearly replaceable, mandatory two-factor is not a worthwhile tradeoff, in fact I'd say that even opt-out two-factor isn't. I feel like I need to draw the line now. If every online storefront got this bright idea, it'd be a damn nightmare.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext