Minor annoyances

Discussion, in general

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:29 pm

I am diabetic and I can order more insulin online through the NHS website (God save our gracious Queen, etc). This is the easiest way to handle a repeat prescription that needs renewing every 3-4 weeks. However, that website also asks me to set up two-factor authentication every time I log in. I always refuse, but in addition to that, I was forced to think of a memorable word. Whenever I log in, it also asks me for several random letters from said word ("Please enter the second, third and fifth letters of your memorable word below"). This is already enough to make me angry.

But it also has Google's ReCaptcha services, and they must be set to the highest setting. I refuse to ever do a Captcha that is either a large grid split into smaller squares (I refuse to train AI to perform targeted headshots in the inevitable uprising), and I really, really refuse to ever do a "Keep clicking until there are none left" one, because that's just insulting. And the most recent time, those were the only ones I got. I must have refreshed close to 100 times, and never saw a single one that wasn't "Keep clicking until there are none left." I avoid Google's services quite often, but when a non-Google website, that I require for medical assistance, insists that I continue to work for free, for one of the richest monopolies on the planet, until they arbitrarily decide that I have permission to use an unrelated website, well, that's just offensive.

I hate websites.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:52 pm

I went to a grocery store after work (one I usually don't go to), and after I put my stuff in my car, I went to the liquor store that I thought would be right next to it, based on the way the signs were arranged outside (and almost every other liquor store near a grocery store that I've ever seen). Apparently not only is it in the same building, they use the same checkout lanes, and all of the cashiers on duty at the time had tags on their shirts that said they were too young to sell alcohol, so I had to wait about ten minutes for a manager to wander over.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 am

Despite being signed into one Gmail account, Youtube is weirdly insistent on signing me into a different one, which means I have to go on my phone to add a song I like to my 1960s-80s playlist, even though I'm sitting in front of my computer.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:45 pm

I ordered three trees. One of them was incorrect. I was wondering "how the fuck do you confuse an elm with a sycamore?"

Then I realized: I ordered a lacebark elm and they sent me a London plane: maybe it was an intentional substitution thinking I ordered it for the bark.

Which... that was part of it. But I'm very particular about non-native species. In this case: a. I want to make a garden of weird Chinese plants and b. I want an elm that won't die of Dutch Elm disease.

This may not be apparent given the name, but the London plane tree is neither Chinese nor a blight-resistant elm tree.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 am

I ordered a giant jar of Maraschino cherries almost a month ago from Walmart, and I just found out now that the shipment was delayed because reasons. Thanks, FedEx!

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:17 pm

As I was leaving work today, my pants got caught on a railing somehow and I got a huge rip by one pocket. I have another pair of crappy jeans, though, so it's not terribly urgent.

I thought I had a third pair of old pants, but apparently not. So I guess I'll be making a trip to Walmart tomorrow for some more pants to (gradually) destroy.

EDIT: And someone seems to have blocked me on Medium, and I have no idea why (the only interactions I've had with her were in the form of upvotes).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:35 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I ordered a giant jar of Maraschino cherries almost a month ago from Walmart, and I just found out now that the shipment was delayed because reasons. Thanks, FedEx!

FedEx is the AT&T, the United Airlines of couriers. International shippers need to use them because they are the local associate of DHL, but I do not understand why anyone in the United States uses them domestically.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am

Aluminum wires are a pain in the ass to work with (I'm trying to make something for my nephew that should've been done a while ago).

On a related note, my procrastination is as terrible as ever.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:37 pm

Youtube is so awful at recommending things that I think they should just stop.

Yes, I watched a few dozen or so NFL highlight videos last week. Yes, one (1, singular) of them featured something that happened during a punt.

No, I am not planning on dedicating the full passion of my existence to viewing more videos about punting.

No, I am not sorry for saying "stop recommending this channel" because it was literally only about punting and I couldn't scroll without seeing videos from that channel.

No, that channel was not the one I watched a highlight video on.

Also just because I watch Twitch and a streamer says a word or phrase, doesn't mean I'm interested in that either. But thanks for trying so hard to infiltrate my interests. Poorly.

I've never looked up anything relating to lock picking but a streamer I watch mentions "lock picking lawyer" a few times and youtube believes I'm all about it.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:36 am

I bought a can of olives yesterday, and today I realized they still had pits in them. Do people buy olives with pits in them on purpose?

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:17 pm

I certainly wouldn't, unless they were negligibly cheaper, in which case I absolutely would.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:58 pm

I got a haircut earlier today, and someone different than usual cut it. Which would be fine, except she barely cut any hair off and I didn't realize until after I left.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:35 pm

Damn her! Damn her to hell!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:58 am

*looks at previous posts* I guess a lot of things slightly irritate me.

Anyway, I'm trying to file my taxes with H&R Block (like a normal person does at almost 1 AM at the end of a work week), and unless I'm misunderstanding the IRS (specifically this page), I should be eligible for a credit because I put money in my retirement account last year and my income was below the maximum threshold. Instead of letting me put that in, the H&R Block website is like "lolno, those text boxes don't do anything." So I filed a bug report and fully expect to be told tomorrow that I'm doing (or not doing) something really stupid.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 29, 2022 1:23 pm

So snapchat has this for your eyes only folder. Well its not for my eyes apparently because it says my passcode is incorrect. Very interesting as I was able to access it less than a week ago. Snapchat also said my account password was incorrect which is strange as I've used the same password for it since I made my account. Its how I was able to log in on my current phone. Not sure how it got changed but I'm thisclose to deleting my account because its too weird. It says my last log-ins were from my old device and new device a day apart which makes sense but then how did my password and passcode change? Someone would have to know my existing password and code and the only person who does is my wife and she's as confused as I am about this.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext