Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 29, 2022 6:49 pm

Perhaps you've been Hax0r'd?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Minor annoyances

Postby iMURDAu » Mon May 30, 2022 9:44 pm

It eventually allowed me to reset my password through my phone rather than through email but its still weird. I'm going to try and brute force my way into my "eyes only" folder and see how that goes. I've tried a few dozen combinations which only leaves 9k some more to go :roll:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:20 pm

A while ago, I got a steamer basket thing to cook vegetables in. It had three feet that clip into the bottom to keep it above the water line, but one of them has vanished mysteriously. My kitchen cabinets were kind of a disaster scene, so I reorganized everywhere it could be and a few places it probably couldn't, with no luck. Though I did find a big bottle of bourbon that I bought a while ago and had forgotten about, so... there's that.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 pm

The washer ate it!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm

If it's anything like my steamer thing, just put less water in the pan. Then it'll boil faster and you can cook your vegetables in less time. Although I do regularly fill the pan with water, put the steamer thingy on top, and once the water starts boiling it all comes through the bottom of the steamer.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:28 pm

It doesn't hang over the sides of the pot or anything. It's similar to this one, but has feet that clip in:

If I take the other feet off, it'll just sit in the water, no matter how little I put in.

It wasn't expensive or hard to find, which is why this is only a minor annoyance, but still...

unrelated next-day edit: The program I paid a small but nonzero amount of money for to play DVDs on my computer stopped working halfway through the last season of a show I'm watching. I found a free program that got good reviews, downloaded it... and it sucks (VLC Media Player, in case anyone was wondering). I'm going to try it again later, but does anyone know of any good free/cheap programs to play DVDs on Windows 10 that actually work? Unless I'm an idiot (entirely possible), Windows Media Player doesn't do it.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby RedBearded » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:46 am

Take the feet off and put a ring of aluminum foil down first for the steamer to sit on.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:41 pm

Now that coronavirus is no longer society's biggest news story, the official guidelines in the UK are that you don't need to self-isolate or anything if you catch it. So a guy I work with didn't, and now I've got it. There is a big social gathering today with a group of friends I haven't seen for several years, and I was going to just tough it out and cough into my hand, in accordance with the frankly ludicrous rules for infected people. I had been looking forward to this event for months, so I really didn't want to miss it. But now, two of the main friends that I talk to the most aren't going, because they've caught the Omicronorona too. And if they're not going, not only would it be perversely selfish if I went, but also, they were the ones I most wanted to see.

Besides, I feel awful so I probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:08 pm

Rogers, a major internet and wireless provider here in the great land of snow, got Hax0r'd. Some parts of it is still not working a day and a half later. And now I can't get my smokes because the store uses Rogers for it's phone system.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Pedgerow wrote:I was going to just tough it out and cough into my hand.

Elbow. Elbow, not hand.

I thought everyone had this memo by now.

Except this one guy at my TTRPG club, who not only uses his hand instead of his elbow, but doesn't actually cover his mouth with his hand. He just raises his hand a few inches in front of his mouth and coughs over it and it drives me insane. I have no idea what he thinks it's achieving but dude, that's the worst of all worlds.

(I believe he has some kind of chronic lung issue, so he always has a cough and it's not necessarily infectious but that doesn't mean he can't be carrying the 'roni or something else no-one wants to share.)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:51 pm

Over the past few days, I've been trying to get duplicate keys made for my house (since I somehow seem to be the only one who has one). After trying two different locations of a major home improvement chain (where people shrugged and said they didn't have any of the right blanks left), I went to a third location today. No one has them because the entire chain stopped carrying it, for... reasons.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:05 pm

Somewhere out there, is a thief with a huge number of blank keys, making keys at random and trying them all in random locks.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:06 am

I just found a pack of ten of the right key blanks online for around $10. If anyone can cut them when they get here (in 1.5 weeks because the shipping was free), we'll be all set.

EDIT: The blanks got here earlier than expected, but before they came, I found a machine in a grocery store that (theoretically) can cut keys. It couldn't cut mine, because ofc not. They said they'd mail the keys to me.

I got them today... and they don't work. I'm going to see if I can bring the aforementioned blanks to a hardware store.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:12 am

^About that... yesterday, I brought two key blanks to one of the stores that doesn't have them and never will, and asked the guy at the key-cutting desk if he could cut them. After he wandered off for a few seconds and pretended to ask someone (why??), he said no. I thought I found a locksmith online that wasn't too far from my house where I could bring them today, but it didn't seem to exist (or the business is inside a house and has absolutely no exterior signage).

On an unrelated note, my safety shoes from the job I had back in 2019-20 are finally falling apart. I think there's a place near me that sells them, though.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Fri May 19, 2023 8:43 pm

How do website cookies work? Why is it that YouTube thinks I stopped listening to this song halfway through, and no matter how many times I listen to it, it still insists that I somehow haven't finished it? And more importantly, why does Google Translate always assume I want to translate out of Vietnamese? I have changed it to languages I translate out of much more frequently numerous times, but sorry, no Albanian or Hungarian for you, let's put you back on your default of Vietnamese. Bloody Google. There are almost no banging disco anthems from Vietnam. You're really inconveniencing me here.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

PreviousNext