The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:06 pm

My teeth hurt. It's day three, I promised myself I'd call the dentist on day three but I'm gonna wait until day six I think. Dammit teeth! Stop hurting!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:05 am

This isn't really a rant so much as a general "my not quite in-laws (as in my sister's husband's brother and that guy's wife)* are horrible people" post.

At some point in the not too distant past, the aforementioned couple decided to foster a kid. They went through the whole process, got approved, and got a nine year-old boy some time last year (November or December, I think).

They recently decided, after having him for a few months, that they wanted to GIVE HIM BACK. (It wasn't a financial issue; they make more than enough money.)

So they did. I just... can't even.

*Of course there's a relevant XKCD comic, and an explanation of how that really works.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:48 am

In fairness, fostering is different than adopting and it is often supposed to be a trial period to see if you and the kids get along.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:19 pm

The sheriff's department needs to arrest this entire dumbfuck "freedom convoy" because all they're doing is terrorizing people by tying up the highway and honking their horns. They aren't protesting anything. If they're protesting mask and vaccine mandates they're a bit late for that since most of them are being rescinded. They're just a bunch of jackasses who are most likely paid actors because who can afford to pass up work just to drive to D.C. and "protest against the Democrats" as one of them said.

Oh wait I live in a red county, no wonder this is happening. My "freedom" of a peaceful existence means all of shit because a bunch of babies are still, still upset about their King Baby losing a popularity contest. These are the same group of people who won't take partial loads because its not worth it and we ended up with a backlog at the ports. But gee paw the fox news said they is heroes for protestin' the democrats.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:51 pm

Storm Issues III (See parts one and two if you have entirely too much spare time.)

There was a storm last night, and the basement started flooding again, despite having four different drains and pumps around the house. Except for about three hours of sleep, I've been clearing the water out ever since.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:35 pm

I tried to get into my government tax account so that I can see if there's mail and they've instituted a MFA without warning. Of course, the phone number that's registered with them isn't the one I've got now so I can't get in because the only way to get in is through text or phone call which, of course, goes to the wrong number. Fuck my life.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:06 pm

I just want all the money so I could by more Ionqs! But reality and time keeps getting in the way!

Why am I more eager to go to a funeral in a church that my ex gf goes too, than I am to go to my own church on a normal day?

I need to stop visiting twitter! Damnit!

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:29 pm

Why is there such a stigma around video games as a means of entertainment? Or maybe I'm just a weirdo. Idk.

At Easter dinner on Sunday my Mom was saying how my son has her playing a few different mobile games and she's actually been playing Fallout Shelter for a few years now.

I mentioned that I bought Darkest Dungeon after work Friday and had played about 3 hours of it. I get this look from everyone like I'm this loser. Yeah after work Friday I bought a game. All day Saturday happened. Half of Sunday. I put 3 hours into it. That's apparently a whole lot.

Is that a whole lot?

If I said I went to the movies and watched a 3 hour movie would eyes roll? If I watched a baseball game on TV would that be an idiotic waste of a good day? What if I read a book cover to cover? What is excessive consumption?

I think if people had something tracking their time spent on their hobbies they'd be less judgmental. I have weekends off and I really don't think spending 3 non consecutive hours of being entertained by something when you're off two days in a row is noteworthy at the fuck all.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:26 pm

Your mistake was specifying the amount of time. Three hours is ages. You could have said, "Wow, at the weekend I spent three whole hours feeding the homeless and helping them to apply for jobs", and the instinctive reaction would be, "Three hours? Yikes." On the other hand, I have no idea what Darkest Dungeon is, but if you said you were halfway through it, that would be a lot more than three hours, I presume, but it sounds like less.

If I need to contribute a rant of my own, it would be that I don't understand videogame playing time. I only ever play old games these days, but approximately 12 years ago I played Prey, the Native American one, and it had a clock to tell me how much I'd played. After a couple of weeks of playing it for 2-3 hours a day, I was on one of the last levels, and my game clock said I had been playing for nine hours. I guess I must just have really liked exploring the levels or something.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:51 am

iMURDAu wrote:Why is there such a stigma around video games as a means of entertainment? Or maybe I'm just a weirdo. Idk.

This. I think it's because "tHeY'rE fOr KiDs" or... something. According to people who think of Pong and Space Race when they hear "video games."

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:57 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:Why is there such a stigma around video games as a means of entertainment? Or maybe I'm just a weirdo. Idk.

This. I think it's because "tHeY'rE fOr KiDs" or... something. According to people who think of Pong and Space Race when they hear "video games."

Space Race was the pinnacle of video gaming. It never got better after that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 pm

I had never heard of the game Space Race until right now.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:24 am

jbobsully11 wrote:

But that's the thing. My Mom just got done saying she'd been playing Fallout Shelter for years. My Dad plays it too. They both play Minecraft with my son. I really don't know about anyone else's habits except that my Brother in law has a PS5 and he's got some good games on it.

Regarding the amount of playtime Pedgerow, I've barely scratched the surface. From twinfinite.net:

While it varies based on the player's party configuration, skill and dumb luck, a typical run-through of the game ranges from 40 to 50 hours.

Darkest Dungeon I could best describe as a Rogue-like that plays like OG Final Fantasy and adds stress as a mechanic. Eldritch horrors are everywhere, darkness adds stress so you need torches, once your character hits a certain level of stress they either gain a negative or positive outlook and can seriously influence the rest of the party. Imagine a masochistic healer who refuses to heal a party member because they want to see them suffer.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:23 am

I'd like to see you suffer iMURDAu.

Sorry, that was my darkest dungeon character talking.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:18 am

I got the same crap about video games from my grandma when she was alive.

Somehow it was okay for her to watch her soap operas and other shows all day, sitting there, doing nothing, just soaking it all in, but if I had a controller in my hands and my brain was engaged, I was somehow worse off.

You just kind of learn to not worry about it. Video games have been a great value as far as money is concerned. I've spent like less than a cent per hour on stuff like Terraria. Even though I don't play anymore, I got my money's worth out of it.

I've also made friends from games, or bonded with new people over games. It's not the sad lonely virgin sausage fest kind of activity that the rest of the world makes it out to be, but I also know that the people that feel that way will never be won over by any of my arguments or anecdotes.

It's a new world. The nerds won a long time ago.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

PreviousNext