The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Alllllllll these companies.

They all wonder. "Why can't we fill these open positions?"

Every place I've ever had an interview at asks "What have you done/will you do to go ABOVE AND BEYOND?"

Its time to flip that question. What will they do when you go above and beyond?

Not a goddamned thing. Say "thanks" or give you a cheap trinket like a candy bar. Anything but a raise.

The people who go ABOVE AND BEYOND end up getting the same "rewards" as the people who suck ass at the job.

And all these companies still can't figure it out. While they advertise higher wages than they'll actually pay people.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:33 am

Wasps have invaded my basement (also known as "the floor of the house where I mostly live"). I killed at least fifteen of them so far since last night (and sprayed where I think their nest is), and can't help imagining they'll burst through my bathroom wall while I'm brushing my teeth like some kind of crappy horror movie.

I hate my life (more than usual).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:05 pm

iMURDAu wrote:
Every place I've ever had an interview at asks "What have you done/will you do to go ABOVE AND BEYOND?"

Tell them you can be taller.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:23 am

Well, shit. As of today, those fucking wasps (yes, I believe that's a specific breed) are back. I killed maybe ten of them so far today, including one smarmy bastard who faked being dead, then wiggled its creepy ass across the floor until I sprayed it with entirely too much a sensible amount of poison and hit it with a shoe just in case. I never knew wasps had multiple lives.

Oh, and my student loan payments went up another $50. All interest, of course.

On the somewhat brighter side, my mom went on vacation this morning with some friends of hers (which itself is a whole other story), and she won't be back until this weekend.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:00 am

Malfeasinator wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:

Tell them you can be taller.

That... Might have a completely different meaning, depending on the sort of television they watch.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:42 pm

Well, shit. My sister tested positive for COVID (and has relatively mild symptoms) arbitrarily thought she had COVID all day but tested negative a few minutes ago and my mom thinks she might have it, too. Now I'm paranoid about every cough and sniffle I get. At least we're all fully vaccinated...

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Well, shit. My sister tested positive for COVID (and has relatively mild symptoms) arbitrarily thought she had COVID all day but tested negative a few minutes ago and my mom thinks she might have it, too. Now I'm paranoid about every cough and sniffle I get. At least we're all fully vaccinated...

The chances of getting COVID is one in a million ... you're screwed.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:45 pm

And now for the really interesting part...

For the last few days, my sinuses were stuffed and I've had a mild cough. I was going to go into work today anyway because I'm an idiot, but I was awake until around 4 this morning for no good reason. When I tried calling my work (multiple times in the last few hours, my calls haven't gone through, on either of two numbers I have. Maybe I'll get lucky and find that the place was hit by a meteor closed today anyway for some reason, but I doubt it.

And I have a sore throat.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:01 pm

Sounds like its testing time. Eeesh.

I was up all last night because something I ate decided to refuse digestion. Laid down at 9:30. Was up for at least 20 minutes each time at 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, said fuck it at 2:30 and stayed up for an hour then slept until 5:30. Had to call off work. Someone else in my department has Covid so I'm sure everyone is afraid I've got it too. But my breathing is fine, I'm just incredibly tired from not sleeping.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm

I'm negative so far, as are my mom and my brother. I never thought I'd say this since I (almost certainly) got the swine flu back in '09, but I think/hope this is the flu.

Next-day edit: Dammit to hell. TL;DR - CVS Pharmacy can suck it, my mom tested positive, and I got tested just after lunch (and am now home).

During lunch today at work, I got a text from my mom. The state of New Jersey called about her positive test result. She's still waiting to hear about them from the pharmacy where she got tested (and which was supposed to call her back yesterday at the latest). I told my bosses about it as soon as I heard, and they told me to go to that place I went to once before when everyone in my area at work thought we were exposed. I should have the test results in 24-48 hours (another edit: nope, sooner; it's positive). Then, who the hell knows?

At least I have a veritable shitload of PTO saved up (three full weeks).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:13 pm

I got into an argument with my dentist as to who's more boring. I lost. But I'm certain that my life is still more boring than his.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:06 am

My computer updated a few different programs over the last few days, and has had to restart after a few of those updates. Okay, fine. Tonight, after the last of them, it froze. I tried restarting the computer, but after turning it off, it won't come back on. (Everything is plugged in, before you ask.)

Did I mention, that, in order to finish refinancing my private student loans, I have to add one more stupid thing that I could only download as an html page (but can't submit it that way), and before I could convert it to a pdf, this shit happened? Because yes, all of that, too.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:45 am

I ordered a new power supply for my computer, which I think/hope will help with ^that when it gets here.

I got my poll assignment for the general election, and they ignored the two stretches of Friday through Sunday that I was hoping to get picked for in favor of... Election Day. Just like the primary. I kind of hope I see at least one of the two obnoxious guys from last time, though it will be less satisfying because (obviously) this one is open to independent voters.

In other news, I got a jury summons in the mail for the first full week of December. Why it has to be for at least a full week is beyond me (it was only for a day last time, but that was in a different county).

Oh, and my sister and her husband have... somewhere to go tomorrow, so they dropped my nephew off here. My mom has something to do in the morning, which means my brother and I will be responsible for keeping him alive. I'm slightly terrified.

(inb4 "double post")

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:31 pm

I posted a good thing in the good-things thread; now here's a real frustration.

My work's owner has never been a big believer in giving us raises. Work should be its own reward, and we should all work there because we love each other so much. And we do, apart from him. But we started complaining in summer, and were told we'd get the big raises we so richly deserve in August. Nothing came, but on the 1st of September, it was announced the company was being sold. Go ask the new owners for raises, you filthy ingrates. All right; we will.

The new owners love giving out raises. They've certainly been enriching the fucks who never do anything, one of whom is the boss's wife and HR lady. She's a lovely person, but how much HR really needs to be done in a company so small that your complaints will immediately be identified as coming from you? Nobody says anything, except to demand more money which we never get. The months since this summer have come and gone, and we keep hearing promises and receiving £0.00 more each month. We were eventually told it would all be sorted in November, and in November we were told it wasn't done yet because they were fine-tuning the exact details to make sure everything was right.

So imagine my utterly incendiary fury when I was finally called into a meeting with our hardworking HR lady who has been promoted by the new owners, and she gave me a letter with my raise in it. I will paraphrase the letter below:

Dear Pedgerow,
Congratulations on all your hard work; we are pleased to offer you the below fabulous salary increase:
[£2,500 a year less than you make now]
Please note this includes all bonuses you receive for on-call work and out-of-hours IT support you provide.
Kind regards,
Work

I told her it was less than I get now. She disagreed. Nobody in my company knows how much I make, which is pretty absurd already. Also, other colleagues have apparently had the same issue, including someone who makes minimum wage and was gleefully offered less than minimum wage. I'm pretty sure that's a crime. My theory is that someone, behind the scenes, gave the boss's wife, sorry, the HR lady, salary information from a couple of years ago by mistake. That would explain why she thought she was increasing a salary past minimum wage (which was lower a couple of years ago) and wound up with a number that it's illegal to pay someone.

I have since found out that I include bonuses and extra payments in my salary, while they were adding the money to my base salary, and that's why my raise (which is less than the bonuses) resulted in a lower salary than before. But of course, the letter said that this new salary includes all bonuses. So am I losing those?

This is by far and away the most egregious shitshow I have seen at my already amateurish workplace. And most annoyingly of all, it took months to get this raise because they were, supposedly, making sure all the contract details and numbers were correct. If they were going to just get it completely wrong, why not get it wrong months ago instead? They've obviously been lying when they said they were closely scrutinising all the figures. It's absolutely shambolic. I will have to wait till the end of this month to see how much I get paid, but I hope everyone involved in this utter catastrophe feels appropriately humiliated. (I will consider forgiving them if I do actually get a raise, of course).

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Pedgerow » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:57 pm

Hey, we're back online again!

To follow up on my previous rant, it turns out my salary was reduced at some point to a number less than I thought it was (because I only got a monthly bonus on top of a monthly bonus for one month, and then the initial bonus was stopped without telling me), and my final astronomical raise was a full £18 a year more than what I believed I was getting before, but nevertheless is actually a raise of about £1300 a year. So I am at least partly to blame.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext