Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:21 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:3x post; come at me.

-I got a fairly expensive bottle of brandy that got good reviews online a while ago

All right; I will.

How do you drink brandy? Like, not so much you personally, but how is brandy consumed? What's the secret to enjoying brandy? I ask because I was about to gasp in horror that you would drink neat brandy, but then I thought to myself, "What would I put in it?" Do I just not like brandy? I certainly do not, but from reading your post, it seems like you feel exactly the same way but are far more experienced in this world. You are much more handy with brandy.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 pm

I think... yes, here it is. Apparently it was in 2020 (in the drunk thread) that I mentioned my "try a random bottom-shelf liquor and see what happens" experiment. My budget has gone up a bit since then, so every once in a while I try something a little more expensive, as long as it's (supposedly, based on online reviews) not too harsh.

Re: mixers (or not), I usually try a new liquor neat first, just to see what it's like. I've mostly discovered good drinks via the "in my bar" feature at Webtender (though anyone can add whatever they want, so... there's that), and occasionally from having liquor [A], mixer [B], and an utter lack of fucks to give (or work the next day). [Arbitrary liquor] with [arbitrary dark soda] usually works well for me, and then I add whatever I have that might be good from there. (I actually learned that at a party a long time ago that featured an abundance of alcohol and about three mixers.)

Oh, and a splash of water. People who really know what they're doing say so.
-----
Completely unrelated thing that seems good-ish for me but we'll see: A coworker in a different department tested positive for COVID, so everyone in my area at work had to go get tested this morning (and then keep working). We had to scan a QR code at the front door and fill out an online form before we could go in, which was... interesting for some coworkers. The results should be in tomorrow, but I'm impatient/mildly paranoid so I bought a rapid at-home test kit on my way home. It seems I've tested negative. I'm not sure about the relative accuracy of the tests, though. EDIT: Both tests were negative.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:12 pm

The #1 news story in England right now is the nightmarishly hot weather. Apparently, on Tuesday, it could be over 40C (=104F) in places. Now, I understand that this country is not built for such sweltering hell, but I'm willing to bet at least a couple of you live in places where it gets that hot all the time. Our heat is coming with a red weather warning, which means there is a danger to life. Do people in Albuquerque die of heat all the time and Americans just don't report it? Or is just the case that because we never have heat that requires special effort, a bunch of English people are going to go outside and barbeque themselves in the street?

I freely admit that I currently have all my windows open, which is supposedly a bad idea in deathly hot weather, but it's meant to be 29 degrees here today (that's, erm, hang on...84F?) and that doesn't scare me. Yet. I spend ten months a year wishing the weather was less awful. It's going to have to be pretty lethal to make me complain.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:20 pm

Pedgerow wrote:Do people in Albuquerque die of heat all the time and Americans just don't report it? Or is just the case that because we never have heat that requires special effort, a bunch of English people are going to go outside and barbeque themselves in the street?

I think it's a dry heat in the southwestern US, so you don't notice it as much as long as you stay hydrated. But you're in the land where (I hear) this is pretty much your daily weather report, so it will probably feel worse. Also, I'm imagining something like the second possibility you mentioned.

EDIT: Two things: I got a bottle of whiskey last week, then promptly forgot where I put it (despite being completely sober). I found it earlier today. Also, I got a thing in the mail yesterday about a credit card specifically for medical procedures. I just applied online, and (despite having good credit and a steady job) failed to even pre-qualify (which normally means "you're an adult with a pulse"). They'll let me know why in about a week.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:00 am

Is it "you're a dog without a pulse"? Is that why you failed?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:04 pm

Pedgerow wrote:I freely admit that I currently have all my windows open, which is supposedly a bad idea in deathly hot weather, but it's meant to be 29 degrees here today (that's, erm, hang on...84F?) and that doesn't scare me. Yet. I spend ten months a year wishing the weather was less awful. It's going to have to be pretty lethal to make me complain.

Pro-tip, open your windows at night, then close them in the morning before it starts warming up. Also, moving air feels cooler than still air, so fans are your new best friends. When your windows are open at night, use your fans to get the air from the day out of your house (don't forget Bernoulli's principle!), and then just to keep the air moving during the day.
I have lived without central AC for the past 2 years after having it for 10 years, and I am very excited to have it again soon!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:19 pm

As an update on the boiling hell of Northern England: I think the humidity is actually lower than normal, so the weather is honestly pretty fabulous. Yes, it feels like walking around inside an oven, but that's really not actually that bad. No wonder California is full of people and Minnesota isn't. If the heat was more oppressive and stuffy than a typical English summer, then yes, I'd be praying for death. But it isn't, so I actually still feel fantastic.

Yesterday was a different story. It wasn't actually as hot, officially, but things went wrong. I cycle to work, and my bike had a flat tyre. I couldn't fix it, because from my investigations, the puncture was exactly where a patch from a previous puncture was. I carry a spare inner tube, and that had the exact same problem. This makes me suspect that these special patches that go onto inner tubes like stickers actually use an adhesive which had melted in the heat, causing any inner tubes that used them to deflate immediately as the patches peeled off. I had to take my bike home on the tram. Carrying a bike on public transport in this heat is not nice at all.

Also, I work in a datacentre, and one thing that is considered very important for servers and things is temperature regulation. Our air conditioning systems partly rely on sucking in air from outside, and they can break down if the outside temperature goes above 32C (~89F). As it turns out, there are things I can try to do to fix them (switch them off and on again, just like with anything in IT), but that doesn't work. So I spent two hours moving back and forth between screaming machinery like a modern Sisyphus, fruitlessly pressing the Reset button as alarms constantly went off and the temperature went from an acceptable 23C up to a frankly inhumane 39C. That was potentially an even bigger day-ruiner than the bike.

It's meant to go back to normal, equitable temperatures tomorrow. All in all, I rate the New-Mexification of England 6/10, fundamentally good but with some serious reservations.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:48 pm

Well you might've enjoyed it but I'm a reptile and can only cope with a narrow range of temperatures. I think my brain has solidified again after melting earlier today.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:10 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:Is it "you're a dog without a pulse"? Is that why you failed?

That would explain why I'm so stiff it's so hard to use a keyboard...

Anyway, there's a lottery drawing with an absurdly large jackpot next week, which means someone was collecting money for tickets at work today. I normally don't buy lottery tickets, but I threw in a little bit just in case.

In "things that will hopefully work out," I dropped off my car for an oil change, but failed to mention that I need it back somewhat early because we're going to visit a cousin halfway across the state and need multiple cars to carry everything. He said he couldn't get to it tonight (which I knew), but should have it done tomorrow *crosses fingers, arms, legs, toes, eyes, etc.* I forgot to ask what time, because of course I did.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:31 pm

I tried to pass out at the blood sucker's on Friday. Took me 10 minutes before I could walk again. Fortunately I was laying down the second time they tried to take my blood so it was successful. I sure hope Blade appreciates the lengths I go to to give blood for him.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 pm

We've been looking at getting an outdoor camera for our house. We get a lot of deliveries and there's a pair of kids in the neighborhood that stole reflectors from the end of our driveway so that's basically our reasoning.

I asked my boss what camera she has because she'd mentioned having cameras before.

Oh boy. She uses Blink. And didn't believe me when I said that's an Amazon product (it has the little smiley arrow in the logo under the word blink). Imo she's getting scammed. You buy their cameras but if you want to view footage its a monthly fee of $3 for one camera or $10 for unlimited. You buy the camera. Then you have to pay monthly to use it. Or cough up another $100 or so for a "sync unit" that allows for local storage. Because Amazon isn't putting an SD slot in the camera like every other manufacturer who isn't greedy as shit. And they take AA batteries. Fucking disposable batteries. In 2022!!!! I'm seeing other camera systems that use solar power at a lower price point.

The longer people stay ignorant regarding technology, subscription based services will benefit.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 pm

I've mentioned my work shoes finally started falling apart, after >3 years. Today I stopped at the store I was looking at, and they only had boots, which seem a little more expensive. But the ones I ended up getting weren't bad, all things considered.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:54 am

Alright, guys, hear me out:

I've made up rules for what I call a "Hebrew" or "Jewish Monopoly game"

Hold it! I see you headed towards the door, and shouting things like "Anti-semite"! but I insist, this isn't going where you think!

Okay, here goes the rules:

1) Lose your monopoly after passing "Go" twice. BUT any Houses and Hotels stay owned by the player that brought them.

2) The "Kohen" (aka: High Priest, or Gadol Kohen) is a Banker Player. He -- directly and as a player -- keeps half the earnings made from Houses and Hotels on broken monopolies. That is, from properties other players no longer owns, yet has houses and hotels on.

4) "Kohen" is decided by dice every... seven turns. (Maybe whoever rolls a 12 automatically becomes Kohen?)

5) Possible End Game:
*A)
--Step 1: Have at least two houses on half the board tp become King.
--Step 2: Game is over when King becomes Kohen.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:45 pm

iMURDAu wrote:We've been looking at getting an outdoor camera for our house.

My work has lots of CCTV cameras, but I'm not involved with them at all, which is why I haven't offered any non-existent expertise earlier. But every time I scroll past your post, I think, "I should really tell him that apparently Hikvision are a top camera brand, and they make much better cameras than the other ones we have." Also, IP cameras have wonderful HD quality, but I don't know if that's something specific about the technology or if our older cameras that connect differently are just really worthless. But if you haven't bought any cameras yet, and you want to control the whole layout rather than letting Amazon watch your house for you, Hikvision IP cameras are the best ones that my work has.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:58 am

I don't know where else to share this without feeling like a giant dork instead of just kinda dorky, but

I did a hit tweet! ...that's what the kids are calling it these days, right?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext