Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:17 pm

Windy wrote:What color should I paint my car to stop birds from pooping on it all the time?

I have to agree with Nathan. I've had two white cars and they were treated like toilets.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Windy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:57 am

Using 1/2 cup of baking soda instead of 1/2 teaspoon makes your cookies inedible

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:41 am

There's currently a small amount of plastic somewhere in my oven (because I'm an idiot; don't worry about the specifics), and no matter how much I scrape and scrub anywhere it could be, I still smell burning plastic when I turn it on.

Totally unrelated thing: I went to the self-checkout at Walmart yesterday, and some woman who was standing next to a scanner (not doing anything in particular) got really pissed off when I tried to use it.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:37 am

Tonight I went to a local restaurant for the second time, and I really should go more often because while the service wasn't the absolute best, I did get a two burritos covered in delicious sauce (and sour cream, etc) and a drink for $12. Anyway, I decided to pay with a $20 bill, to which the server whipped out the coin change from her pocket and bills from what was obviously her own purse. I think I witnessed some good ol' fashion tax evasion, but I don't care, it was just a little confusing. Get that bag, I guess!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:34 pm

I once saw a very ancient repeat of a gameshow (it was Bullseye, in case you don't believe me) where before the final round where the contestants played for the grand prize, they had won £70 so far - I told you it was a long time ago - and the host took out his wallet and just gave them the money himself. I always thought that was slightly offensive, really.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:40 am

I helped pry my aunt's bedroom closet door off its hinges earlier. And then, when that didn't work (the pins came out but the hinges stayed stuck), I unscrewed the hinges from the door (after scraping through decades of paint). When that didn't work, we (my aunt, my mom, and I) were going to knock/saw/drill/chop/burn/detonate a hole in the door when her neighbor came over and helped us knock it loose.

Somehow, the door is pretty much fine. I suggested she replace it with balsa wood anyway, just in case.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 14, 2022 12:06 pm

The pharmaceutical industry is off the chain with their advertisements. Especially during daytime hours.

It was an ad for a Peyroni's disease treatment. I might have spelled that wrong but I'm not looking up the correct spelling.

Has to do with bent wangs.

Idk I feel like anyone with a bent or broken penis would have already sought medical attention for that. I almost feel bad for anyone who finds out that their mangled junk can actually be fixed by watching daytime TV.

Note to self: never look at the break room TV even if someone says "hey looka that". Especially if they're cheesing with a big smile.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat May 14, 2022 11:38 pm

I just got a letter in the mail warning me that my property's home warranty "may be expiring or may have already expired."

Two problems, both so small they're barely worth mentioning:
  • While the letter names the bank that the mortgage is from, it had no return address.
  • Nothing about the house is in my name. Never has been.

I showed my mom, and I suspect Wells Fargo will be getting another call in the near future, just in case it was from them.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 pm

I left my phone at home today when I went to work, because I store it in a separate place from my keys and wallet and so on, and dressing for a bike ride in the rain meant I didn't put the other things in my pockets or do the traditional pocket-tap as I went out. It rapidly came to my attention that I am no longer entitled to the smugness of not being someone who constantly looks at their phone. Also, while normally nobody rings me, I have currently got a few people who might wish to speak to me for assorted reasons.

Anyway, I just got home and crisis averted; my phone was indeed still there and I hadn't actually lost it. Zero missed calls, zero messages. Just how I like it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 18, 2022 2:15 am

On the packaging of a Cadbury caramel bar I just opened:
about 4 servings per container
Serving size 1/4 package (28g)

stupid question: Why is that "about" 4 servings?

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed May 18, 2022 8:35 pm

It's probably to protect them from any sort of lawsuits if the delicious snack food inside only weighs 111g. Or if a factory employee has gone rogue and scandalously taken their eyes off the profits prize, and given you 113g of chocolate like you're Elon Musk or Puff Daddy.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed May 18, 2022 11:20 pm

113g? Oh boy! I'm like Brian Boytono or something.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:18 am

Usually I only see "about [x] servings" when the numbers don't match up, though, like if there are 50 of something in a package and a serving size is four. *shrug*

Anyway, I was driving home from a store earlier and "Gangsta's Paradise" came on a radio station that never plays hip-hop. Is that song considered something else nowadays, or what?

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:41 pm

"Ooh, I should register to work at the polls for the primary election," Past Me said. "It'll be an easy way to make >1.5x what I make at my regular job per hour," he said. (I said I was available for the early voting Friday and Saturday as well as Tuesday, but they only needed me on Tuesday.)

So the voting theoretically started at 6:00, and I was told to be there by 5. In the morning. Naturally, I woke up around 2 and couldn't go back to sleep, because of course.

Three other people and I got there around 5 AM, and only one of us had any experience (not me, in case it wasn't clear). The guy who had the key to unlock the voting machines didn't get there until about 5:30. Voting theoretically should have been ready to start at 6, but nothing was fully set up by then.

The machines they used required us to print out a slip of paper so the voter could put it in the machine and vote. We didn't get to print a test slip right away, and when we finally tried (with a few people waiting), nothing worked. We had an interesting time getting a mechanic to come over, and after she called three different people and replaced almost every conceivable part (it seemed), she finally got it working (around 8:00). Luckily the people were understanding (or at least they didn't blame us), and came back later.

There were a few interesting characters, including two independent voters who were convinced they could vote in the primary without declaring a party (they can't in NJ). One eventually went away on his own (Mr. "This is Bullshit," with his embarrassed teenage daughter who was mostly pretending not to know him), and I'm not sure how they got the other guy (Mr. "I Know My Rights!," supposedly one of the most obnoxious people ever to curse the area with his presence) to leave.

Eventually, I'll get paid for 14 hours of work, though I probably only actually did anything worthwhile for about half that time. Oh, and a little extra for dropping off the ballots and other stuff at the town hall. I didn't get home until around 10 PM, and then had to get up for work seven hours later. Oddly, despite eating significantly less than usual (I had a one-hour lunch break about halfway through), I wasn't overly hungry.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:52 pm

3x post; come at me.

A few things have happened recently, with varying degrees of severity/awfulness:

-My phone alarms went off five minutes early this morning for no apparent reason. It was just as well, because the first one interrupted a weird, mildly unsettling dream that I'll write about in the dream thread if I can organize it into a semi-coherent paragraph.

-I got a fairly expensive bottle of brandy that got good reviews online a while ago, and I thought I'd have it for my two-year anniversary at work (from when I started as a temp), but I don't think it tastes that great on its own. Hopefully I can find something it mixes well with (and stick to the bottom-shelf stuff in the future).

-My mom has had a really bad cold or something for about a week. She tested negative for COVID today, which is good. On a less good note...

-A neighbor who lives around the corner has a tumor in the back of her brain. She's going to have more tests done soon.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext