Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:08 pm

cmsellers wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I used too much cumin

I understand all the individual words, but I find this clause you've made out of them incomprehensible.

It wasn't bad, but I didn't taste the other stuff (garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, or basil) I put in the mix, despite using less cumin than anything else.

Actually, given my (lack of) cooking skills, I'm surprised it came out as good as it did.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:52 am

For pretty much everything I use, I tend to use a ton of it, which is one reason I tend not to use super-expensive spices like cardamon and vanilla all that much even though I like them. Despite this, the end result is generally not so much about tasting individual flavors as getting a whole that works together, unless it's something like black pepper which has a distinctive sensation on the tongue.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 am

True, but I think the other spices should play some role (and they did before I added the cumin).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 pm

My address is not 2B. It's 2! TWO!!! And because of this I'm not currently listening to Aerosmith's Greatest Hits. The red and white one with Dream On, Love In An Elevator, Kings & Queens, and Come Together.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:My address is not 2B. It's 2! TWO!!!

Does Nathan live in 2B or not 2B? That is the question...

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 am

This is the area where I live, as shown on the UK government's flood warning website. The orange warnings are floods. The reddish warnings are very scary floods. The very dark red warnings are "danger to life". Between the darkest red and the top of the image, with no flood warnings at all, is where I live. I am completely safe, but I'm probably a couple of hundred feet from being evacuated.

Flood warnings.png
Flood warnings.png (928.35 KiB) Viewed 4256 times

The only downside is that I work on the other side of all the flood warnings. I confess that this is not ideal.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:33 am

Now that I live in Houston, and find myself looking at a whole lot of properties that pretty much have what I want but are in floodplains, I now understand the frustration of living in a city that floods, as well as the often baffling nature of flood zone boundaries. Stay safe and good luck.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Just put another offer on a house.

First one I terminated in the option period less because of the property (which I loved), than because the seller's agent—who was also the point of contact for the seller, which was an LLC owned by his parents—was so awful I couldn't deal with him, and I didn't believe I had a chance of getting him down to a fair price on the house: he was looking for a sucker who would pay move-in-ready prices for an investor special with literally a new coat of paint in some rooms and nothing else. Final straw was when I learned he'd flat-out lied about the condition and age of the roof. (My agent was going to report the dude to his broker until she realized his broker was also his aunt.)

Second one I was way outbid by a buyer willing to pay $8k above asking price and about $20k over what the property was likely to appraise at.

So here's hoping third time's the charm.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:03 am

There's a LegalEagle video that includes the phrase "Bannon & Manafort" and I keep reading it as "Bananafort."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:45 am

They're predicting a fucktonne (yes, a metric one) of snow by me starting tonight, so work is canceled. I'm happy that I won't have to get up in about 5 hours, and I guess I don't need the money, but it would've been nice to have.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Oh yeah the snow. We called off last night because my wife is able to do tomorrow what she could've done today and I had someone cover my shift. So I cleaned the driveway yesterday twice because it snowed all day and then we're about to go out and and it's still snowing. Checked the radar and most of the storm has moved on but in this PA/MD/WV confluence we're stuck with some rotating clouds that won't stop dropping on us.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:22 am

Someone on YouTube said "more polls than" and I immediately filled in "a German camp?"

The actual punchline was "your average gentleman's club."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:My aunt's CD player doesn't work anymore, and she has around 300 CDs. So for Christmas, we got her an MP3 player, and I was tasked with ripping all the CDs so they could be put on it. The player just came a few days ago (shut up, calendar), and it somehow takes up two different drives, despite being plugged into only one USB port.

I thought I mentioned this somewhere on here, but the aforementioned MP3 player sucked, so my brother returned it. I ordered another, the order got canceled, (repeat a few times... or so I thought). Yesterday, I got an e-mail saying the last one I ordered should be coming in on Friday. Today, a different one came in the mail.

If the other one comes when it should, I'm keeping this one.

EDIT: Nope. It somehow got shipped to a different city. So I put in a claim with their shipping people, and someone called and told me they'd send another one.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:02 am

One Canadian YouTuber I follow in a video released yesterday: "PacMan frogs are one of the best beginner reptiles*."
Another Canadian YouTuber I follow in a video released today: "PacMan frogs are one of the worst pets for beginners that are commonly recommended as 'beginner pets.'"
They both also put them in second place on their respective lists.

*Including at least one amphibian on every list of reptiles is one of his shticks.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm

My brakes were acting up on the way to work, so I checked the fluid when I got out, and it was really low. I bought some on my way home, accidentally put too much in, and then took some out (with the extremely high-tech method of "rolling up some paper towels and absorbing the excess"). Anyway, that seemed to be the only thing wrong.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext