Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:13 pm

I hate people.

Some guy was just ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door like it was important.

He asks for someone who doesn't live here so I let him know and he gave me a look of disbelief.

Then asks me where this person is. I said "dude we've lived here 5 years I don't know who that is".

He tells me the neighbor told him that this person lived here.

Which is a damned lie. My neighbor knows who lives here, we work at the same place, we see each other outside often.

I hate the shit out of people. Its like dealing with a customer. They ask a question but if they don't get the answer they expect then nothing you say to them will be valid. So I told him that I don't know who told him what about anyone but whoever it is he was looking for hasn't lived here in over at least 5 years and have a nice day.

He makes a face like I'm lying, says "ooooooo k" then gets in his truck and leaves.

Its very suspicious to me because he lied about being told someone lived here and there's no car in the driveway right now so why would he think anyone was even here in the first place?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Does anyone here know how to cook scrapple*? I got a pound of it a few days ago, and though it smells like breakfast sausage and is made of pork, it doesn't seem to fry like normal sausage. I tried looking up a few recipes online, but they all start with the person's life story and I refuse to read through all that. Interestingly, I couldn't find anything at all on Yummly.

*If you don't know what it is, originally it was made of leftover pork scraps. I don't recommend doing any more research than that.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:09 pm

Read my life story here! I have painful teeth. It could be a sinus infection, it could be dead teeth. Frankly, we don't know. I could go to the dentist but I'd rather take painkillers. Usually the pain goes away after an agonizing 20 or 30 minutes so there's that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:24 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I tried looking up a few recipes online, but they all start with the person's life story and I refuse to read through all that.

I've heard that this is because Google filters out websites which just repeat the exact same words as other websites, and since that's what most recipes are going to be (there are only so many ways to phrase "preheat your oven to this temperature"), all cooking websites now have to distinguish themselves with some original flowery prose at the start. I guess what I'm saying is, that life story might not even be true.

I'm not really into cooking so I can't help you otherwise, but if I was in your position, I would heat it up, check my fridge for chillies, garlic and onions, and probably add whichever one of those I currently have. I never have more than one of them so your next question answers itself.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 am

I cut a slice off and cooked it for a few minutes this morning, but the texture is weird and I wasn't sure if it was cooking all the way through, so I kind of crumbled it up a bit and scrambled some eggs around it. It wasn't terrible, and I didn't throw my guts up or anything, so *shrug*.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:51 am

Was it worse than Borscht? I bet it was worse than Borscht.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:45 am

I've never had borscht, but based on the recipe I just saw online, I doubt scrapple is worse.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:59 am

Happy 22/02/2022, people who write the date that way (ie. "almost everyone on Earth")!

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:54 am

jbobsully11 wrote:Happy 22/02/2022, people who write the date that way (ie. "almost everyone on Earth")!

I used to write it that way, but now I write it as 2022-22-02 just to be difficult.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:05 pm

Scrapple, yeah, man, that takes me back.

Slice it real thinly. Cover in flour and fry it in butter or oil. It's... it's never going to be some kind of health food, but it's cheap.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Windy » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:30 pm

What color should I paint my car to stop birds from pooping on it all the time?

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:02 pm

White. The birds won't stop pooping but you'll never notice.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:35 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:White. The birds won't stop pooping but you'll never notice.

Actually, this site says white repels birds. I thought I heard red does the same thing, but I'm not sure.

One of my mom's coworkers (one of the last good/sane ones left) had a stroke in school today, then died in the operating room. The administration said they're still going to have classes tomorrow, because they're awful non-terrible reasons which I would like to imagine exist.

edit to avoid double-posting: First of all, they ended up having a memorial for the aforementioned coworker, probably so they weren't the next ones to go because they're marginally less heartless than I thought.

There's no good way to transition into this, so... totally unrelated note to self: Dollar store pancake syrup is as sad and disappointing as it sounds.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:08 am

Ah, screw it. This time on You Need Experience to Get Experience...

My mom works with someone whose husband works at a military base/research facility not too far from me, and he said they'd be hiring engineers soon, in a bunch of different roles. I talked with him yesterday, and he said he only hires experienced people, but my resume looks good. I'm going to keep an eye on the government jobs website in case anything comes up.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:51 am

The French song "Joe le Taxi", by 14-year-old future ex-wife of Johnny Depp Vanessa Paradis, is a soulful ballad about a seedy French taxi driver (called Joe, obviously):

I had never really listened to the lyrics much beyond that. But I was listening to it just now, and heard a familiar name. Vanessa Paradis lists the sort of music he listens to in his taxi, and it's all random old music to highlight the musical diversity and multiculturalism of Paris. But since I last listened to Joe le Taxi, I have discovered the music of Yma Sumac, a Peruvian opera singer with an astounding vocal range, and she is one of the artists that Joe listens to. The thing is, Yma Sumac is weird as balls. Rather than singing traditional opera, she used her incredible multi-octave range to basically try out weird noise experiments back in the 1950s.

Imagine sitting in a taxi and the driver puts this on:

"Vibrant multiculturalism" is not really how I would describe such an experience.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext