Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:46 am

Just when I think my college has learned from the last times they've had students call and beg for money on their behalf, a new semester starts.

This time, the unwitting victim started by asking how my degree has helped me in my career (I said it mostly hasn't; she seemed mildly concerned for half a second). Damned if she didn't start in with the "we have a great, expensive 3D printing/general awesomeness facility and you don't so haha we also need $125 from YOU" routine. I was a bit calmer this time, so instead of telling her that the script they gave her sucks (like I did once before), I just went with "no, and the same for the next two amounts you're going to ask for" and hung up.

I should make a list of fun responses to use for the future.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:17 pm

I think I've only ever been called like that once by my university. I was happy to regale the caller with delightful tales about how my life has been an unmitigated failure ever since I graduated and I would never give him a penny, and he seemed to genuinely care. I kept him on the phone for about half an hour, reminiscing about how I was already a bit of a failure back then anyway but at least I had hope, damn it, and it was a really nice conversation. He must have been furious when I still didn't give him a goddamn penny.

By the way, is this site loading funny for anyone else? Every time I open it, it has no background and every board is just listed at the side rather than with the layout I'm used to. But if I refresh the page, it loads normally.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:01 pm

It does that sometimes when I log out on my phone, but I think that's all. (EDIT: Okay, now it's doing it to me, all over the forum, and refreshing doesn't help at all. Weird.)

My generic single-serve coffee machine has always been a bit wonky, but just today the motor started to give out. I thought it might just be minerals from the water since I don't run vinegar through it as often as I should, but I tried that with no luck. Another one of the same kind will be cheap, but the next one up in price is a fairly big jump.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:34 pm

I apparently am stuck with my box spring in my bedroom. My wife decided to make the new bed that we bought last month together despite us not having enough space in the bedroom to build it. Boy was I wrong, we did have enough space. But I couldn't get the now useless box spring out of the bedroom so it's sitting there against the wall at the end of the bed in my way. I've decided to borrow a saw from my father and I'll cut it in half with a pair of aviation snips, a exacto-knife, and the previously mentioned saw. Then I'll get it out!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:53 pm

Last Monday I had an appointment for my yearly cpap follow up. I forgot it was scheduled for that day and rescheduled it for today. Get a call from the office that the person I was going to see just tested positive for Covid. Okay. Whatever, reschedule it again.

So wait, if I had actually gone to my scheduled appointment there's a chance that person was contagious a week ago.

Epic dodge. *does an imaginary dab*

All this time and afaik (knocks on various wood and wood-covered surfaces) have never caught it. I didn't take to masks easily because they're uncomfortable it seems like my glasses are destined to fog up no matter what and at the beginning I wasn't sure about effectiveness but obviously mask/vaccine is the wombo combo.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 am

The state health department called me a little while ago to follow up with me about my positive COVID test.

On a brighter note, I found out I can order a spiced rum I've heard good things about but can only find in one store where everything is a mess. I ordered a bottle for curbside pickup next week.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:56 pm

Oh, good. The site is up again. I was having withdrawal symptoms.

If anyone hears about a COVID outbreak in northern New Jersey any time soon, I am truly sorry.

After I got my positive test result back last week, I tried to call my work to see if the testing center told them (I figured they should have their info with the insurance). I couldn't get through to anyone, but when the state called me to ask about my positive result, I didn't really think about it, because surely they would follow up with someone...

Yeah, no. One of my bosses called Monday to ask where I had been (I guess he only just noticed...). He texted me an updated phone number for when I got the test results (still positive).

Like I said, I sincerely apologize to humanity for what I've probably unleashed. I'm about to go get tested again, and hopefully they'll actually test for the virus and not the antibodies (which I hear can stay in your system for quite a while, but I only have one more week of sick time left). The testing site said my boss is wrong and I have to wait until Sunday, or ideally Monday to take another test.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:07 am

I don't know if there's anyone out there to get this but it's horrible. Jbobsully11 got a COVID test and suddenly the world just shat out an apocalypse. The horror! The horror!

Anyways, that's a thing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:22 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I don't know if there's anyone out there to get this but it's horrible. Jbobsully11 got a COVID test and suddenly the world just shat out an apocalypse. The horror! The horror!

Anyways, that's a thing.

I thought we had been in an apocalypse for a while now...

TL;DR for what's about to follow - a different group did my COVID test than I was expecting, and I forgot to drop something off there.

Two days ago, I (thought I) registered for a COVID test at my uncle's work (he's a doctor). My mom also asked me to bring something to him when I went, and I put it in my car so I wouldn't forget it.

I got there this morning, filled out their online forms, and went inside the building... only to find that, no, a different group does the testing in a not-ominous trailer out back. So I drove around the building and found a trailer with its doorways blocked off and a sign saying to call someone. I did, and the person who answered told me to go through a different door into the building.

I made sure it was the right test (antigen, not antibody), got it done, drove halfway home... and the thing for my uncle rolled out from under the seat.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:07 pm

I have not changed a single clock today, nor has anyone reminded me to, even though we "sprang forward" last night. Perhaps technology has reached a stage where all clocks everywhere just change automatically now.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:51 pm

There is a video on YouTube of me in 2008, inflating two balloons simultaneously with my nostrils. I thought that was a pretty cool party trick, but I never did it again (I was very drunk in the video). Last night, I was very drunk again, and I had another opportunity, and I did it again! If anything, I did an even better job of it. The video was posted to Facebook and got a full three Likes. Honestly, if that doesn't get the punters in, I think Facebook is dead. Or maybe i need to put a balloon in my mouth as well and see if I can inflate three balloons at once.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:00 pm

Well there's your mistake. Facebook isn't the place to post. It's Tik-Tok. The Chinese government will surely disseminate your awesome feats better than Zuckerberg.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:31 pm

My mom had cataract surgery on one eye today, and it seems to have gone well overall. She was supposed to be at the place at 6 AM, and after some swearing and U-turns caused by a mix of GPS issues and a complete lack of signage, we found the place... which didn't open for another few hours (and we weren't the only ones waiting). Afterward, I had to take her glasses to get a fake lens for that side. Long story short, that eye sees a lot better than it used to. She has to go back in a few weeks for the other eye.

Actually, having to wake up excessively early today was good practice for tomorrow, when I have to be at my local polling site at five to help set everything up and then do nothing for most of the day.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:30 pm

*wonders where everyone is, and/or if things mostly just happen to me*

I worked at the polls on Election Day again, and it was remarkably uneventful. I was worried about how the income from that would interfere with my unemployment, but it only reduced the amount I'll be getting one time (oddly, by less than I earned).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby RedBearded » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:27 am

jbobsully11 wrote:*wonders where everyone is, and/or if things mostly just happen to me*

Still here. Still lurking. Mom broke her ankle. Brother came home for vacation, he's in the navy. Sister is doing fine. I post here about as much as I talk to people irl. Glad to see TCS is somewhat stable again.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

PreviousNext