Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby gisambards » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 pm

cmsellers wrote:In another application, this one for state government, I affirmed under penalty of perjury that Turkey and Korea are both in Texas.

Only half a lie.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:07 pm

The Austin Public Library, for some reason, often has multiple entries for the same edition of the same book, such that there might be three copies of one edition of a book, each with different entries for some reason.

I have a tendency to check books out and assume that if there's multiple copies available, I'll be able to keep them for two renewal periods, nine weeks.

Twice now, within the past two weeks, I've had to return books before that, despite there being other copies available, because it was one of the "one entry for each copy" books and someone put a hold on the copy that I had checked out.

I'm annoyed at the library for the frequency with which this happens. But I'm really annoyed at the people who choose to place a hold on the version of the book which is checked out. Are they doing it out of sadism? Do they assume the checked out copy must be the better one? Or do they just place a hold on the first entry they see, without seeing if any other copies are available?

I'm guessing it's the last one, so I'm gonna make a point of requesting the last copy of a book that shows up on my search from now on to see if that fixes this. But still, the level of clueless you have to be to place a hold on a book which is listed as unavailable without checking if there are other available copies is breathtaking to me.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Cpt._Funkotron » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:55 pm

When people close the doors of bathrooms that aren't occupied. When I was growing up, the convention was that you would only close the bathroom door if you were using it, that way if you see that the door is closed, you know to leave the occupant in peace, whereas if it were open, it would obviously be available. If you have the bathroom door closed all the time, then you have no way of knowing whether or not it's free without knocking every single time. In general, getting the door knocked on you while you're on the john tends to be rather unpleasant, with reactions ranging from startlement to irritation. Worse, if you're the kind of person who has anxiety about people knowing you're doing your business (I'm not one of those people but I've met a few), by answering a knock you're losing your anonymity. Whereas, if you are in the habit of employing the closed-if-occupied convention, you have plausible deniability unless someone directly witnesses you exiting the lavatory. Plus, a bathroom with an open door is easily identifiable for people who aren't familiar with the house, whereas a closed bathroom door tends to look much the same as the door to any other room, so a guest would have no choice but to announce their intention to evacuate their waste to the host and procure directions to the designated facilities, or else haphazardly try every knob they encounter, either causing a ruckus knocking on every door in turn, or god forbid, opening the right door without knocking but with an engaged resident on the other side.

ImageImageImage
Cpt._Funkotron
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 pm

My new computer likes to crash when I play PS2 emulated games. Specifically Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance 2. It's annoying having to wait until the computer reboots. I know that this will be less annoying when I get the new harddrive at the end of the month simply 'cause it will be faster. But I hate waiting. Waiting is a pet peeve of mine.

EDIT: I have to wait longer now because I'm going to get a SSD that's 30x faster than what I have now instead of one that's 10x faster.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 am

So, Firefox has been randomly reloading and going back on pages, most commonly when I'm in the middle of typing something. I've disabled keyboard shortcuts to go back, disabled quantum refresh, and it's still happening. I google periodically and I'm not sure why, because it's always the same advice:

Disable quantum refresh for the reloading issue, disable backspace for back for going back, and try restarting Firefox in "Safe Mode" to see if it solves the problem.

This advice isn't quite as obnoxious as "just refresh Firefox (ie, press the button that deletes all your extensions and sessions)," but it's still pretty obnoxious, and in the same vein.

"It's probably an extension, get rid of all your extensions," is terrible advice when I use extensions for security purposes. I'm especially pissed off by term "safe mode," since "safe mode" means any site can run any scripts it wants. As annoying as this is, I'm not going to do that.

It also doesn't really help, since I can't replicate the problem reliably, and since, even if I determine an extension is causing the problem "safe mode" doesn't tell me which one.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:48 pm

If you get stuck in a right-turn-only or left-turn-only lane and can't get over, then you need to turn. It's not OK to hold up traffic until someone lets you in. If it was an accident, that sucks, but you knew that this was a real risk when you got in the much shorter lane on the far left and right; it's why I don't get into such lanes if I don't know the area.

And if you knowingly got into that lane gambling you'd be able to squeeze in and still decide to hold up turning traffic until you can, you need to be euthanized for the good of the species.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:20 am

cmsellers wrote:If you get stuck in a right-turn-only or left-turn-only lane and can't get over, then you need to turn. It's not OK to hold up traffic until someone lets you in. If it was an accident, that sucks, but you knew that this was a real risk when you got in the much shorter lane on the far left and right; it's why I don't get into such lanes if I don't know the area.

On a somewhat-related note: intersections where you get off one road in the left (or right) lane, but wherever you're going requires you to almost immediately have to cross over to the other side. I had to do that near the end of one of my last jobs, and I always hated it.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:54 am

Another literal pet peeve: People "rehoming" baby animals. I mostly see it with parrots, because that's mostly what I look for, but I've found it plenty when I've looked for other animals too. I mostly see it on Craigslist because that's where I've looked, but Tess just showed me a link that suggests it's prevalent on Facebook too.

This tells me several things:
1. The person isn't being honest about what they're doing. Now, Craigslist prohibits selling animals, but that is not a good excuse. I've seen both breeders and pet shops use Facebook to sell their animals, so the fake rehomers don't even have that excuse. I think they're appealing to the idea that "buying" is bad and "rehoming" is good (which is already a problematic paradigm), but by lying about it they're both perpetuating the paradigm and dishonesty placing themselves above both honest breeders and people rehoming adult animals, which tend to have more behavioral problems.
2. The person can't be bothered to put up even a rudimentary website. In this day and age, it's not that hard, and I see a lot of seventy-year-old breeders with actual websites that look like they came straight out of GeoCities. If grandma the cockatiel breeder can figure out how to set up a fucking webpage, you can too. It smacks of extreme laziness to not have a website, and nearly everyone I've seen who correctly identifies as a breeder has at least something.
3. They're almost certainly not USDA-licensed, which isn't legally required for breeding birds, but is certainly something I'd do if I were breeding. And with mammals, it is required, yet I see plenty of illegal small mammal breeders anyways. My impression is it's much the same with America's two most popular pets as well, though I have never looking into getting a dog or cat.
4. They're clearly targeting people who don't know much about the animal, because people who've done their research probably aren't going to be buying an animal from a dishonest backyard breeder.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:55 pm

People who sell tropical plants as "subtropical."

"These beautiful plants are subtropical, so they are generally only hardy to USDA zone 9b"

I see stuff like this a lot. Technically, the subtropics include humid subtropical climates, hot-summer Mediterranean climates, hot sub-arid climates, and hot desert climates. However Mediterranean climates and desert climates are their own thing, so when people talk about "subtropical" climates, they generally mean humid subtropical and maybe hot semi-arid climates.

And for both of these climates, you're looking at USDA zones 7-9 (hot desert climates too, west coast climates have much milder winters). If you get into zone 10, you're in a tropical climate. And it's not like these are Mediterranean species, where at least the species come from the subtropics. (I could maybe forgive people not knowing the difference between a subtropical and Mediterranean climate, though I feel like if you sell seeds you should know the difference.) No, these are species that come from places like Malaysia and Colombia being sold as "subtropical" species.

The fact that your tropical species can technically survive in Central Florida or the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and that those are technically considered subtropical climates, does not make it a subtropical species. If you can't grow it in Arkansas, it is not a subtropical species.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:01 am

I'm looking for a house again. I cannot tell you how many houses advertise "all new carpets" or "all new [bunch of things including carpets]."

So, you ripped out the disgusting old carpet and decided to replace it with ... more carpet ... in Texas ... in 2020?

I'm also kind annoyed by all the houses that converted their garages into "bonus rooms." Like, extra indoor space is always nice, but you know what's really nice in Texas? Being able to get into your car in summer without dying.

Still not as annoying as "all new carpets!" though.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:40 pm

The garage conversion is a trend here in Maryland also. I'm waiting to see one that doesn't look super obvious. I want my mind blown. I want someone to tell me I'm standing in a room in their house that used to be a garage, and I don't want to have already been aware of that fact.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Can I just say that cart-reminder emails are super-obnoxious and make me less likely to buy whatever I left in my cart from the website sending them?

I know ecommerce sites don't like people abandoning their carts, but this is a terrible, obnoxious solution.

Especially because they always send them under twelve hours after I last modified my cart.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat May 01, 2021 3:10 am

People who aren't too poor to have a bank account and still only take cash in this fucking day and age. For businesses, I get not wanting to pay the 1-2% credit card fees, but you can always charge a credit card fee to consumers. And PayPal is kind of shit for sellers and pretty much nobody using a small bank or a credit union can use Zelle (I can't, with accounts at multiple institutions), but for individuals, Venmo and Google Wallet are ridiculously easy and completely free.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat May 01, 2021 3:10 pm

Google Wallet? Where have you been? Google Wallet got folded into the brand new Google Pay. You know the one. It's the Google Pay that only Americans have. The rest of us have the old Google Pay.

Could I say Google anymore?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 pm

Yeah, I meant Google Pay but I've been calling it Google Wallet for years.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext