Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue May 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Stupid games that will get you banned on Facebook. Like add the word Fucking to a book title to make it sound dirty. Here I'll give you an example. Fucking The Iron Dragon's Daughter.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Coming back from Turkey in 2013, I noticed that even good restaurants in New England generally have no fucking idea what to do when you ask for tea. Moving to Texas two years later, I noticed that, at least when it comes to hot tea (I don't drink the iced "sweet tea" they pride themselves on and can't speak to that), Southerners have no fucking clue either. Nor do coffee shops that "also have tea."

Pretty much without exception in the US, if you're not at an East Asian (or more rarely Middle Eastern) place, and you ask for tea at a restaurant or coffee shop that "also has tea," you get a cup, a pot of hot water, and a bag of fucking Lipton. Sometimes the coffee shops will have a marginally better brand of bag tea already in a cup of hot water. This bothered me even before I realized how much better loose-leaf is than any bag tea, simply because the "better" bag teas those coffee shops serve aren't even the best bag teas you can get, with most options being heavily-flavored to hide inferior tea. (And now that I've discovered the joys of loose-leaf ...)

I'd blame our insistence on putting milk and sugar in tea by default, but the Turks always take their tea with at least sugar, and the Turks at least generally make a tea which, while not exceptional, is better (without sugar) than pretty much anything you'll get in US restaurants.

Anyways, I recently discovered (via Harney and Sons, which offers some fantastic teas) this editorial from the NYTimes, in 1983, which recounts substantially the same experience I've been having three, going on four decades later. How is it that in all that time, it seems like no restaurant or coffee shop not run by immigrants from a culture that know tea has learned anything, at least in New England and the South?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:40 am

Pounds are a unit of force, not pressure. Pressure is a force applied over an area. Pounds are a unit of force, not pressure. Pressure is a force applied over an area. No TV and no beer make Homer something something. Pounds are a unit of force, not pressure. Pressure is a force applied over an area.

Every time I see or hear the phrase "pounds of pressure," I die a little inside. Why yes, I realize that's apparently not normal.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Would it help to assume that "pounds of pressure" means the stress the speaker is under from their British mafia gambling debts?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Oooo. I'm under lots of pounds of pressure, eh?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:37 pm

The whole concept of "everyone is in trouble because one person did something". If one singular individual did something and its known that they're the one that did it then they should be dealt with. If a notice needs to be given to everyone as a reminder that's one thing. If its not known who the offender is then yeah chew everyone out.

But when I know I'm not the one being referred to, when I know who the person being referred to is, when a few if not many other people share my knowledge what happens is I tune out the person talking and start playing Hot Drinks in my head.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:25 pm

iMURDAu wrote:But when I know I'm not the one being referred to, when I know who the person being referred to is, when a few if not many other people share my knowledge what happens is I tune out the person talking and start playing Hot Drinks in my head.

That video was... oddly catchy. Better than this one about how selling is service (and service is selling).

Service is selling,

and selling is service.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:46 pm

But that's one of the best videos of the decade, you madman. It's so great, I don't even care that I have no idea what some of the merchandise is (what's an usik? Some kind of Alaskan thing?). You remind me of Jill, who doesn't like to sell.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Previous