TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:47 am

TIL ketchup can be made with mushrooms instead of tomatoes. I'm half disgusted and half curious to know what it's like.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:29 pm

Did you know website URLs are case-sensitive? I could have sworn they weren't, but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_to_Launch
"Failure to Launch is a 2006 American romantic comedy film directed by Tom Dey, and starring Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failure_to_launch
"Failure to launch informally refers to dependent young emerging adults who are unsuccessful in transitioning into societal requirements of adulthood."

All it takes is a capital L, and you get taken to two totally different pages.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:39 am

Literally two posts ago, I wrote:TIL ketchup can be made with mushrooms instead of tomatoes. I'm half disgusted and half curious to know what it's like.

I ordered some from Amazon, and TIL it's not bad. Kind of like soy sauce, but milder.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:47 pm

I have a failure to lunch. Does that count?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:44 am

I know we have a thread on here for stupid questions, but is there one for stupid/obvious realizations?

I follow someone on Quora who writes a lot about rabbits and pop culture, especially music. She has a pet rabbit named Eddie. I realized only a few days ago (because I'm stupid) that it was almost certainly named after the singer Eddie Rabbitt.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 pm

There's a town called Shallotte, North Carolina.

I spent a short time imagining a scenario where someone from there is asked where they are from. However their southern accent turns Shallotte into Charlotte without pronouncing the "r". So they have to hilariously explain no not Cha-lit, I'm from Sha-lit, over and over again.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:33 pm

There's a house for sale near where I work. For $295,000. Some minor issues are that it has a paper on the front door that may or may not be a condemnation notice on it. You can tell it is literally falling apart just by looking while driving past. It also used to have a nice woodland view but that's all been razed for a new gigantic warehouse. It sits on 9 acres which imo is why the asking price is what it is. So yeah. If you're willing to ignore or just destroy the standing structure you've got yourself... uh some land.

Rustic former farmhouse in need of TLC, beautiful view of Brutalist architecture, 9 acres of land that you hope to flip to another warehouse developer, how could anyone resist?

My wife checks real estate websites sometimes just to see what houses look like inside. There's some really cool stuff, but my favorites are the 1970's wood paneling and kitchen appliances and carpeting inside homes going for more than a quarter million dollars.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:30 pm

Colin Hay, the lead singer of Men at Work who sang "Down Under", was born in Scotland. He was also raised in Scotland. He emigrated to Australia with his family when he was 14. In 2016, he got American citizenship.

So in the song, when she said, "Do you come from a land down under?", I guess the answer was actually, "No, I don't." I'm so shocked that I'm not even going to post a link to the song here, even though I just know that you really want to go and listen to it now.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:48 am

The first manufacturer of rubber condoms had a manufacturing plant just a few towns away from where I live.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:28 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:The first manufacturer of rubber condoms had a manufacturing plant just a few towns away from where I live.

Did they bounce?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:05 pm

Probably. They were pretty thick, by today's standards.

TIL coffee flour is a thing that exists. It's made from coffee fruit (the thing of which coffee beans are the seeds).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby RedBearded » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:54 pm

TIL TCS is back up. Checking if it is or not is becoming a daily thing for me.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:42 pm

In Japan, it was believed until 2010 that the oldest man in the country was Sogen Kato, who was born in 1899. People kept trying to visit him and congratulate him, but his family refused to let anyone see this incredible record-breaker. Ultimately, the police were called, and it was found that Sogen Kato had been dead since 1978 and the longevity record obviously belonged to someone else. This strikes me as a very amusing story, but be careful reading the Wikipedia page because it's actually grim as balls and not funny at all.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:28 am

Black metal without distortion is just surf rock. I'm highly amused:

If you see the video on Youtube, the description has a list of the songs he's covering at different times.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Previous