Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:12 pm

As of this past Thursday, I’ve paid off three of my student loans, and gotten the payments down to a (relatively) reasonable number. Now to tackle that car loan...

Next-day edit: I passed 56789 miles on my car's odometer a little while ago, and I got a picture.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 pm

A while ago, NathanLoiselle wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I stayed three hours late at work today to help make up for the fact that I'm off tomorrow. Not that I really need it; I'm getting five paychecks this month. Second shift seems very disorganized compared to first.

On my way home, I got a handle of spiced rum for less than half what I expected to pay.

But did you pick up any Canadian Whisky? Inquiring minds need to know.

I did today, and it's actually pretty good (Canadian Club is the name). Not smoky at all.

NathanLoiselle wrote:Mixed with coca-cola it tastes like vanilla.

This is true.
-
Edit to avoid triple-posting: I got the second Pfizer shot about half an hour ago. No negative symptoms yet.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 am

3x post. Come at me.

I was able to sign up for benefits with my job today, and they seem pretty good (and cheap) overall.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri May 21, 2021 2:32 am

C-c-c-combo breaker!

I also have gotten the chance to sign up for some more benefits at work, I just haven't gotten around to getting some of my family member's info for the form saying who gets my 401k if I kick the bucket. Unless someone here wants to send me their information (including Social number and such).

Also, our quarter has been so good that we all (several hundred of us) got $300 gift cards for local merchants a few weeks back, and then this week they paid for a Chic-Fil-A food truck to come by for lunch. Not too shabby.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:57 am

Ned Flanders-themed metal band Okilly Dokilly released a second album last year, and I just found out about it yesterday. I don't like it as much as their first one, but maybe it will grow on me.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm

Aston Martin got second place in the Baku grand prix. It's the first podium they've gotten this year and I'm so proud of a company that's owned by a Canadian.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:52 am

Right around the time I joined TCS, but before I was posting here, there was a guy on YouTube who was one of the founders of the genre called "chap hop," which is basically steampunk as music. I discovered him from his video "Shibboleth," just after it was uploaded, though I didn't subscribe because I didn't really spend much time on YouTube until about two-three years ago.

Sought him out again a few months ago, and to my severe disappointment, discovered that "Shibboleth" was at that time, the last thing he'd ever uploaded, seven years prior. Still, watched his handful of excellent videos a couple times each, then subscribed to him and turned on notifications, just in case. There's several other defunct YouTubers I've done this with as well, but none that I discovered—nor who stopped posting—anywhere near as long ago. (Next-closest is a "sheikh" who sings folk music of Ireland and last uploaded four years ago.)

Well yesterday, I get a YouTube notification and to my pleasant surprise but also total shock, it's none other than Sir Reginald Pikedevant!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:25 pm

I take it you are already aware of Professor Elemental, then:

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Good but also kind of pathetic: As of yesterday, I've been at my job longer than any other in my adult life (and continuously, the longest I've ever been at any job in my entire life); 13 months and one day (the previous record was the one I had from 2019-20). It's also the only permanent job I've had so far as an adult, which feels like a whole new level of pathetic.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:34 am

Would it make you feel better if I told you that I'm kind of in the same boat? Indeed, if you count from when I was hired full-time, I'm also at about 13 months, and this is both the longest full-time job I've ever held, the first time I've exceeded a year in one, and the only full-time job I've ever held in the United States.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:15 pm

I went to my aunt & uncle's house yesterday. They have a pool, which normally means I end up sunburned all over. But this time, I only got it on my upper back, around my neck and shoulders.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:21 pm

I mean, that's an improvement I guess, but sounds more like "things that are less bad than I anticipated."
I have pasty-ass Irish skin that burns in under half an hour and am completely incapable of tanning; so I try to avoid going out in the sun when there's a chance I could burn. If I absolutely must go out in the sun, I use waterproof, sweatproof, UVF-30 sunscreen (higher doesn't do anything because 600 minutes spans well beyond the period I could burn) and reapply every 90 minutes. I also used to wear long clothes, until I got so fat that I started sweating like a pig in even moderate heat.

Anyways, I finally found my electric tea kettle (had two moves and packed it away in the first one). I'm too lazy to boil water on a stove and wait seven minutes, so I hadn't had tea since the shutdown. It's really nice having tea again.

Also, have been getting all sorts of teas I've wanted to try for awhile but just didn't have money for. Not really high-grade shit (I probably couldn't tell the difference), but some solid mid-range tea. Several kinds of Turkish tea, some low-grade pu'er, and jasmine, osmanthus, and cardamom flavored teas. (I love rose tea, so that's the flavored tea I'd splurged on before. Plus I drank earl gray since you can get that cheap.)

Also got some higher grade rooibos, which I continue to insist is a tisane, not a tea, in bulk.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 pm

For some reason, every grocery store near me has been out of baking soda for at least the past few weeks. I finally found some today.

Also, I've had to replace a fuse in my car for a little while now. It was a pain in the ass to find (there are two fuse boxes, and ofc it wasn't in the one you can see or reach). I thought I'd have to buy another fuse, but I found one that was the right size in my junk drawer. Actually putting it in should be more interesting...

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:02 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:Actually putting it in should be more interesting...

That's what she said

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:29 pm

I got my COVID booster this morning. I also realized I misplaced my vaccine card, so I have to find it and bring it in as soon as I can. My arm started to feel sore about 2.5 hours after I got it because I forgot to take ibuprofen before I went. But in spite of the last two sentences, I'd still say things are good.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext