Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:36 pm

Have any of you ever opened a new pack of Post-It notes? Don't they smell amazing? They smell so good I'm worried that something weird happened to mine, and everyone else's will smell normal and you'll all think I'm crazy.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:56 am

For... at least a few months now, a credit card app on my phone has refused to open. Every time I tried, it would act like it was opening, and then minimize itself before the login screen came up. I tried deleting and reinstalling it a few times with no luck (even after multiple updates). Today, I downloaded it YET AGAIN... and finally got it to work.

I suspect Capital One's servers are (were?) haunted, is what I'm saying.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Pedgerow » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:33 pm

Victory!!!!! (Not a huge victory, admittedly). I heard some music on TV earlier, and thought to myself, "That sounds just a TV theme tune." But which one? I'll tell you: it's the one that goes, "PA PA PA PA PA paa! Dun daddah dah!" And it's from the 1980s. I was pretty sure it was Cagney & Lacey, but I looked that up and it wasn't, and thus the game began. I was sure it was something to do with women police, but that's Cagney & Lacey and I had already confirmed that this was wrong. Maybe it was a soap? It wasn't Dallas, it wasn't Knot's Landing, but it was definitely something famous. Really, really famous. And it goes, "PA PA PA PA PA paa, daddah dah!" It wasn't Dragnet, it's obviously not Knight Rider or Airwolf, but maybe it was something similar to Knight Rider and Airwolf? What's like Knight Rider and Airwolf?

In the end, I looked up a compilation video of 1980s theme tunes. It's famous enough that I was sure it would be on there. In 27 minutes of theme tunes, I was sure I would hear it, and then my plan would have worked and I would have identified the mysterious, "PA PA PA PA PA paa, dun daddah dah!" music. And this would confirm my status as the world's greatest genius.

I can't keep you in the dark now I know what it is. It was this:

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:06 pm

Here's more of a thing that's less crappy than it has been in years.

As of this past Thursday, another of my student loans is below 100% of its original balance (by less than 0.3%, and only because I threw some extra money at it specifically for this purpose, but still). Take that, negative amortization!

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:40 pm

I'm getting new boots. Tammy says their desert boots but I'm sure the description on Amazon said they were biker boots. Either way, I'm getting new boots! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun May 08, 2022 1:01 am

I heard about a book that I thought sounded interesting (about how the brain influences hand dominance), but when I looked it up on Amazon, it cost >$90. I went to the publisher's website and saw that it cost a little less, but the shipping was absurd. I found a coupon code that took 30% off the original price (almost the entire cost of shipping).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sat May 21, 2022 3:43 pm

I got today's Wordle on the first go. It was one of the words I always start with. I feel fantastic. I'm not saying I am the greatest Wordle player of all time; I'll leave that to the history books. But I feel pretty damn proud.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Tue May 24, 2022 10:31 pm

My job gave everyone a Honeybaked Ham on Thursday. The week before we got a bonus that was just shy of a weeks pay. It was also announced we're getting an extra (non-planned) bonus the first week of December that will be 3% of our YTD earnings. Fingers are crossed for overtime. I wanna get my kid a laptop.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm

I was approved a while ago to be a poll worker for the primary election. I spent yesterday evening in a mandatory training session in how to sit still and glare at people (and set up/troubleshoot the machines). I thought they would let us know exactly when/where we'd be assigned to work, but that won't be for a little while yet.

EDIT: I've been confirmed for regular Election Day, but not either of the two early voting days I applied for. Hopefully they're not done assigning spots to people yet.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:24 pm

^Related to that, I got my check today. I wasn't expecting it to come this early, and I thought I'd owe more in taxes than they took out, but when I ran the numbers, it was pretty close.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:46 pm

I switched dentists because the old one was kind of obsessed with peddling unnecessary stuff (eg. whitening). I had my first dentist appointment in almost a year today, and it went pretty well overall. I actually thought it had been longer, but a post I made on here suggests otherwise.

edit regarding my archaic house key that I mentioned in minor annoyances: Apparently a grocery store near me put in a machine recently that can cut keys (in general). It can't cut mine, because of course not. But it said that someone will cut the key and break in only to be disappointed at how little is in my house that's worth stealing mail it to me. I'll get three keys for the price of two. And I'll have ten blanks for the next time most of the house keys disappear.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:57 pm

Dentist technology these days is great. I lost a filling and had to get it replaced, and I also massively chipped one of my front teeth a few months ago and sometimes I cut my lip on it. While I was getting the filling replaced, he filed down the chipped tooth in about three minutes. Come to think of it, I suspect I have posted this exact anecdote too.

I didn't, but it happened on this day and then I never actually mentioned it, weirdly.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:31 am

So I couldn't sleep last night. As a result I decided to go for a walk and walked the two and a half kilometres to the bank (maybe it was three I don't know) and discovered that I couldn't deposit the money that my friend had paid me back for. So it's five in the morning and I walk an additional half a kilometre to an ABM where I can do deposits. Then I bought David Bowie's 1.Outside album off Amazon. At five in the morning, right there in the middle of the street. Yup, that was my night.

There were also a lot of homeless people up and about last night instead of at the shelter. They've been banding together at night to prevent muggings and assaults and one even looked like she had just gotten off work at an office. But none of them mugged me, not even the two sketchy looking native guys out in front of the Circle K variety store that was the only thing open at that time of night. Yup, I didn't get mugged. And that's a good thing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:22 pm

Yet another post.

I got David Bowie's album 1.Outside today. I also had to take the wife to Urgent Care because she tried to cook herself alive in a canteen of boiling water. She's okay now but I imagine it hurt. But I also got 1.Outside and that's a good thing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:36 am

Apparently I got another $1/hr raise this week. They don't actually tell us these things in person, but I saw it on my online pay stub. It's weird how they do it, though; my first raise was 6.5 months after I was made permanent (well, I guess technically my first raise was exactly when I was made permanent), and this one was nine months later. *shrug*

I'll try not to focus on the fact that I'm now making what I made at my first "real" job just over seven years ago, anyway.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext