Pitzer College student requests POC roommate, no whites

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Pitzer College student requests POC roommate, no whites

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:07 pm

A student has sparked controversy by asking not to share a home with any white people.

“When and if you understand this context, it becomes clear that students of color seeking a living space that is all-POC is not only reasonable, but can be necessary,” they wrote to The Post. “We live in a world where the living circumstances of POC are grounded in racist social structures that we can not opt out of. These conditions threaten the minds, bodies and souls of people of color both within and without the realms of higher education. We are fighting to exist.”

This reasoning is identical to the justifications white nationalists use. Both groups believe segregation is necessary to preserve their existence. There's a fundamental insecurity to both the SJWs and alt right which gets on my nerves. They do not want to tolerate the slightest amount of competition from the out group, so they just pretend they don't exist. It's a childish attitude. I do not believe your existence is threatened by the existence of people of other races. Both may exist at the same time.

Maddox did a podcast on this subject. I haven't listened to it yet but his podcast is usually good. He argues both sides as an experiment to see how many minds change.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Pitzer College student requests POC roommate, no whites

Postby Marcuse » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:15 pm

White people existing nearby equates to oppression. That's a...stunningly dangerous attitude.

I still don't understand how people who live in a country marred by racial segregation can reasonably think that segregation can be a tool to fight racism? Do they want to go back to the 1950s? I suppose they presume that they intend to be the ones on top of this arrangement? If so how does that make them better than racists who want segregation?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Tesseracts wrote:This reasoning is identical to the justifications white nationalists use. Both groups believe segregation is necessary to preserve their existence.

During the civil rights era, some black supremacists co-operated with white supremacists, because they both supported segregation. There's a famous photo showing American Nazi Party members at a Nation of Islam rally. The American Nazi leader George Lincoln Rockwell called NOI leader Elijah Muhammad "the Hitler of the black man" and he meant it as a compliment.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:29 pm

My undergrad institution has "identity-based housing," which allows oppressed classes to form a group of people who want to share a housing unit free of the oppressive classes and also skip the housing lottery. When I was there there was special housing for "people of color," "women of color," and some version of "LGBTQ" which also included several other letters.

A student wrote an editorial in the student newspaper criticizing this policy, and the president of the school plus a another administrator (a black woman, though I don't know if she was providing cover for the president, he was providing cover for her, or they both thought it was a good idea) criticizing the newspaper for running that editorial.

Fortunately, the editors of the students newspaper stood their ground wrote a very good response defending the importance of allowing controversial opinions in the editorial section, and the administrators distributed it by the same mass email they'd used for their borderline censorious email.

Unfortunately, the student who wrote the original editorial transferred to it, partially as a result of the reactions he got to it, and I really can't say I blame him.

Last edited by cmsellers on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:35 pm

The second lady pictured has a white parent. The other one is also bi-racial. So I find it funny that they're on this "no white people" kick. I hate to tell these people but white is indeed a color. If they want to call themselves "People of Varying Slightly Dark-ish Shaded Hues" then okay.

If I were a white student I'd sue the fuck out of the school and start a protest. Shit if idiots in Milwaukee can go crazy because an armed suspect fleeing police got shot by an officer (both black so whose life matters?) why not have a sit-in on this campus?

I actually encourage this behavior from college students. That way employers can easily figure out who the racists are before they accidentally hire them.

Ureña said she has no regrets about the Facebook posting. She and Jefferson said they take issue with people who focus on “white people and their ‘exclusion’ in this housing ad.” They said they want to “reframe” the conversation.

“This is not about white people,” they wrote. “It never has been. The insistence that it should be only reaffirms [our] understanding of how deeply we are submerged in a white-centric world. Recentering this question so it is about the well being of POC is therefore an act of resistance.”

Wow. Colleges need more marijuana. It brings people together.

Its like these kids are happy to discriminate because it happens so much to them, they want others to experience it. They say:

“When and if you understand this context, it becomes clear that students of color seeking a living space that is all-POC is not only reasonable, but can be necessary,” they wrote to The Post. “We live in a world where the living circumstances of POC are grounded in racist social structures that we can not opt out of. These conditions threaten the minds, bodies and souls of people of color both within and without the realms of higher education. We are fighting to exist.”

Fighting to exist? As a fucking college student? You want to fight to exist then quit school, leave all your shit there, and go be homeless in East L.A. for a while. But the only thing about that is the homeless aren't all one color.

So run, run to your safe place, it only exists on campus, the real world has no such thing!

How long until the Black Lives March on Washington to promote segregating the school systems?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:15 pm

iMURDAu wrote:If I were a white student I'd sue the fuck out of the school and start a protest.

For what would you sue them? You don't have a cause of action just because a fellow student was being racist. It's also unclear to me what value there would be in starting a protest. Why does the response to one random person's ridiculous opinion so often seem to be to publicize outrage at that opinion as much as possible? How is that helpful?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby D-LOGAN » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:18 pm

The first job my dad ever worked in was at this warehouse, which like a year or so before he started had a sign on the door saying 'CATHOLICS NEED NOT APPLY'. Now obviously they changed the policy and removed the sign before he started and the way he tells it, the story was the guy who'd been running the business for years was retiring so he let his son takeover. Now the son was ... not a pleasant man and obviously thought under his reign he could run the organisation without any help from the local taig population. Fortunately there was enough push-back from the community that he backed down and reversed the system. He ended up transferring to another firm and his younger brother took over who was in charge of the place when my dad got there and was apparently a lovely man.

But that's how things were back in the day ... Nice to see segregation of some manner is making a come back. About time too, I have a whole box of white hoods just lying there out the shed. TIME TO GET THIS RACE WAR STARTED!!!!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:22 pm

It seems there's a growing amount of students who just don't understand the point of college. This sort of activist sentiment in college is nothing new, of course, but this is a whole new level of irritating. I mean, where most people see a chance at higher education and increased opportunity, these people just see activism. And not just activism, but activism having to to with their particular demographic. And then you have a lot of those same people demanding the ability to major in social justice, going so far as to actually complain that college is interfering with their activism. So, you have a situation where all a bunch of students seem to want to do in life is learn about themselves and hold a sign. And even when they have ambitions beyond sign holding, that does seem to be the path they think they need to take to achieve their goals no matter what it is. My initial tour of CSUS was led by a woman who was quite passionate about her intention to become a math teacher via a Black Studies major. Not a degree in Mathematics with a certificate with that as a minor or getting two seperate majors, but intending to go from A to B via 7. So, basically this controversy is essentially just a symptom of this stressing of activism as education. Every waking moment must be spent fighting the power that is them White Devils! Every class should require a stick and some poster board.
I guess it has something to do with the devaluing of the college. A college degree used to be considered special, but now, everybody and their mother has a degree. But the places of employment that used to require it seem to hold on to now-defunct ideals, still requiring you to be special. Even the places that would have hired the activist minded people 10-15 years ago now have those same high standards, so these people try to carve their own path out of activism, going so far as to try and make it their career by forming organizations or adding a patreon to their tumblr blog, entrenching themselves in activism to the point where they become humorless assholes that treat everything as the most seriousness of business. And the next thing you know, some dorm room bans Whitey.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Absentia » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:14 pm

In my first-year dorm suite, there was a Korean, an Indian, a Colombian, a black guy, a Jew, and five WASPs, one of whom was openly gay. Now I was one of the cishet whiteys, but I'm pretty sure nobody's mind, body, or soul was threatened (what does that even mean?). For the most part we all got along great, and the only one who didn't was the Korean guy because he was kind of a jerk.

I feel like maybe the internet SJW crusade has given these kids a distorted picture of how "oppressed" minorities are, because in my college experience I never saw or heard anything more hateful than a few stereotypical gay jokes. Except for a couple of isolated incidents, racial tension was basically zero.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby gisambards » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:47 pm

While I think the person responsible for this is a bit of an idiot, I really have to side with aviel here:
aviel wrote:Why does the response to one random person's ridiculous opinion so often seem to be to publicize outrage at that opinion as much as possible? How is that helpful?

This isn't Pitzer College policy or anything, it's literally just some random student posting on Facebook. I think the issues raised in the earlier posts in this thread - the segregationist attitude which has also been displayed in other, more prominent examples of SJW behaviour, etc. - are interesting, but is it really worth being outraged about a couple of innocuous Facebook posts that haven't really affected anyone (I mean, I doubt there were any white people desperately disappointed they weren't allowed to be these girls' roommates)? If anything, I think more of the outrage should be directed at the Washington Post for giving these girls publicity literally just because they posted something racist on Facebook.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:53 pm

I find it amusing that my school actually has a more extreme version of this as a policy and nobody cares, but one student asking for a less extreme version at another school makes the news. This student wasn't even asking for priority in picking his accommodations, like students get through "identity-based housing" at my alma mater.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 pm

I wouldn't want any of those filthy snowchimps in my dorm. With their higher average incomes and their lactase. Probably eating cheese at this very moment. Nice cheese, I should think. All fancy and paper wrapped. We should wipe them out by allowing immigration to run rampant.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:02 am

aviel wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:If I were a white student I'd sue the fuck out of the school and start a protest.

For what would you sue them? You don't have a cause of action just because a fellow student was being racist. It's also unclear to me what value there would be in starting a protest. Why does the response to one random person's ridiculous opinion so often seem to be to publicize outrage at that opinion as much as possible? How is that helpful?

Geez never mind. Is there value in the protests started on campuses where all this constant and horrible oppression goes on? Why am I defending part of what I said? I was mocking the ignorant notion of fighting fire with fire in protesting and threatening lawsuits over shit said on facebook. And "ssofb" should be a common acronym. I did follow what you quoted with
iMURDAu wrote:Shit if idiots in Milwaukee can go crazy because an armed suspect fleeing police got shot by an officer (both black so whose life matters?) why not have a sit-in on this campus?

My call to extreme ignorance was sarcastic. That's why I connected those things.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 am

Wow, thank god this POC anti-white thing doesn't apply to me. Why doesn't it apply to me, you didn't ask? Well, I'm not-caucasion-in-anyway-oid. I might however be POC seeing as how I don't know what it means.

EDIT: Oh! I am POC, seeing as how my skin colour is a tan-red. Purple on a good day though!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Crimson847 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:22 am

Was the request granted?

EDIT: Apparently not.

Pitzer President Melvin Oliver, who earlier this year became the first African American to lead a Claremont undergrad campus, calls the post "inconsistent with our mission and values." He says the college wants to engage "complex intercultural issues, not to isolate individuals on the basis of any protected status."

More specifically, these three girls apparently posted an ad online looking for a roommate for their off-campus apartment, with the "No Irish (or anyone else from that continent) Need Apply" coda included. The college has no control over this, but the college president denounced the post as mentioned above.

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next