PALADIN 769: The River and the Wizard-Knight

Pendragon: Tales of Chivalry and Sorcery is the place to go if you want to play Pendragon. Cpt._Funkotron will be your GM, with assistance from CarrieVS.

PALADIN 769: The River and the Wizard-Knight

Postby Scarik » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Anno 769, the First Year of the Reign of King Carolus

Winter

Renaud, son of Aymon, was knighted at the winter court by King Carolus himself and presented with the enchanted sword called Froberge by his father. It is said that Sir Maugis won the sword as well as the magic horse, Bayard, from the demon Ranas. He gave the sword to his cousin Sir Aymon, and the horse he gave to his younger cousin himself.

Later that week the king's cousin Bertolai challenges Renaud to a chess match and when he loses the older man strikes the young knight. Renaud protests to the king and demands satisfaction with the sword, but King Carolus denies the enraged man who shouts that all know that it was King Pepin who had Renaud's uncle, Bevis the Enchanter, murdered and that alone entitles him to his vengeance.

Carolus again refuses and the furious Renaud then strikes Bertolai in the back of the head with the chess board that lead to their dispute and then flees from court along with his brothers. Ashamed, Sir Aymon is forced to renounce his sons and chase them from his own hall. It is said that the banished sons fled into the deep Ardennes though no one has seen them since.

At the same time King Carloman and Princess Gerberga of Pavia become engaged. This infuriates Sir Ogier, who feels King Carolus should have requested the lovely princess for himself, instead!

Spring

At the May Field in the city of Tours nobles from across the realm come once more to swear fealty to the new king and to toast to his health. King Carolus holds dominion over the north of the realm and his brother reigns in the south. Aquitaine is part of the north, but Duke Hunold denies any oath to the Franks.

Enraged, King Carolus promises the Duke war, but he finds no aid from King Carloman who is content to let his brother suffer the insult alone.

The King also sends word to Sir Maugis to attend him and become Court Magician just as the great Merlin served King Arthur. But Maugis refuses for the King has defamed the House of Mayence by banishing Renaud and failing to right the murder of his father Bevis. Carolus is irate but the magician's insult must wait until the rebel Duke is crushed.

So King Carolus calls on his vassals, and Duke Theirry is among those who answer.

The Duke of Ardennes calls up the soldiers of his realm and manages a host of 100 sworn knights and 1000 men-at-arms to serve the king's justice. He departs at once with the first half of the army and commands the second half, which is weeks longer to muster, to follow along under the command of Sir Egier of the Gate.

June

The rest of the knights arrive and the final mercenaries are assembled when terrible news reaches Bastogne. The rebel sons of Aymon have been seen in the company of a terrible knight with a wolf's helm set with a gleaming, emerald. They have appeared from the deep forest along unknown paths and are raiding villages in the east.

To the dismay of the cousins that can only mean Sir Dagobert has fallen under the spell of the Jewel. But whereas before the Ogress Gisele controlled the Jewel Knigh,t what sorcerer could possibly command it in her place? Suspicion falls on quickly on Sir Maugis despite him last being seen 100 leagues away in Paris.

Last edited by Scarik on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Re: PALADIN 769: The River and the Wizard-Knight

Postby Scarik » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Sir Egier is troubled and he calls the Cousins to his solar and when all have been gathered he has them admitted.

"My children," he says informally when it is just the castellan, his squire and his body servants and of course his younger kin.

"I bear a heavy heart for this situation. These robber knights must be dealt with, but they have black magic on their side so I can hardly send common knights against them. And they are well provisioned and skilled at arms, and entrenched in some hide or hidden fortress in the deepwood, thus I cannot simply send a band of knights to challenge them."

He shakes his head, the grey showing deeper and deeper with each day he carries the trust of his lord in a duty he never expected would fall to him. Egier is the second son, the spare. He was trained to hold the reins of power but never truly believed it would be. But by kinship and the favor of the Duke he has been raised as high as one can be without the further intervention of Providence or King.

He looks them over, those who still remain at least. Not all have come, some have been called home and one has been taken...

"Our Duke had plans for you all to go on campaign as captains and stewards where you would have the chance to catch the eye of the king and the archbishop, but..." He trails off before holding up a hand to forestall any current objections," But, the sons of Aymon have not only insulted the King, but they now predate upon the Royal Demesne and the allodial fief of the Prince-Bishop of Liege as well."

He lets the possibilities of victory sink in before finishing.

"I will give you a dozen knights and three score foot to take north, hunt down Sir Renaud and bring him back in chains or a coffin."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Sir Renier loves his visits to Bastogne. What could be better than catching up with the Cousins and seeing Lady Machteld again? /o/ If it were only under happier circumstances this time. As it is Aquitaine needs to learn a lesson, one he would gladly join in teaching. It has been a boring half-year! Well except for Sir Coenwulf's wedding <3

Renier almost immediately notices some missing family members after his arrival. He hears that Ragnar and Shadi have gone back to their native places at their family's request. Ah well. But Dagobert would surely never be late to the muster?

"Psst..."

Oh. Crap. >_>

Renier is shocked about the rumours and half-tempted to dismiss them as just that. The man was present at Christmas court, and his behaviour was a little odd, but otherwise seemed fine. His cousins, however, convince him with the tale of the emerald. Renier's tongue lashes out at their carelessness, but he is unsure as to what he would have done in the same situation.

The Solar

Renier listens to the order with some mixed feelings. Are they ever going to distinguish themselves on the battlefield? But it is good to be entrusted with the mission, for he feels any other knights would have simply slain Dagobert and be done with it. As for Aymon's sons, Sir Renaud's anger is not entirely without cause, but it is misplaced upon the peasantry, and so the rebels must face justice.

"We will bring them in, and we shall save Sir Dagobert from the cursed stone and return him to his senses, if possible!" Sir Renier vows.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Scarik » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:51 am

Sir Egier nods, "As expected of your noble lineage, Renier, but beware for Sir Renaud rides Bayard and wields Froberge. Bayard can leap a dozen paces from rest and outrun an arrow from the finest Anglo warbow. Froberge can is light as a feather in the hand and heavy as an anvil on the foe. You will need all your cunning and courage to succeed in this, my son."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby WaitingCynicism » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Coenwulf frowns as he hears about what happened to Renaud and Dagobert. He knew that Renaud would have to die or be imprisoned for his actions, yet he had considered both close friends for so long. Not to mention the fact that they were family.

"I know what must be done. Much as I may not want to do it, they must be stopped if we are to protect the people."

WaitingCynicism
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby panda1594 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:27 am

After seeing what the jewel did to her cousin, Adele contemplates how to deal with this situation. Going after Aymon's sons may be the distraction she needs.

Nodding in agreement, "I couldn't have said it better than Sir Renier"

panda1594
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 am

Sir Egier eventually makes his final decisions.

"Sir Renier will command the expedition," he says to them all. I shall assign you ten soldiers from the Ducal Guard, 10 heavy infantry, 30 spears and 10 crossbows. You may ask any knight to accompany you until you get your dozen and if they affirm then they have my leave to join."

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 am

"We are not in desperate need of knights," Renier declares. "Our family will handle this."

Rashad speaks up. "I will ask Ikram if he will accompany us. He's my family, which is almost the same."

"Our family and Rashad's brother will handle this," Renier amends cheerfully.

"Surely you're not making me leave my friend! She will sniff out Sir Renaud like that," Rosamund grins.

"Of course not," Renier says hurriedly. "Our family, Ikram and the adorable yet fierce Hecate will handle this!"

"With God's favour," Leufroy pipes up.

"Our dear family, Ikram and Hecate will handle this, with God's favour!" Renier says exasperatedly.

Adele opens her mouth, ignoring her cousin's half-glare.

"When are we leaving?"

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:29 am

Sir Ikram is happy to accompany his brother, "I tire of Frankish wars, brother, he says in their native tongue, "I know my mother was a Frank the same as yours, but they are People of the Book and dismissive of The Prophet." He sighs, seeming much older than his is and tired as well.

"Robber knights will be welcome, at least I know who Allah favors in this."

And so they set out with only half the knights they were allowed trusting in God to deliver them to victory with perhaps some small help from a fae hound and Rosamund's glamours.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:18 am

Hearing about the expedition through the door, Lady Ermeline had already been aware that there was a chance knights would be mustered to go after Sir Dagobert and Sir Renaud. She just was not expecting it to happen this soon. Knowing her father was too weak to join the cause but would be expected to send knights along regardless, the lady started to hatch a plot. Someone would need to commit their troops, and who better than her to take up her fathers' mantle.

She just had to rescue Sir Dagobert, since she felt partially responsible for his fate.

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:43 pm

before Scarik's post above ^

That done, the cousins split to do their thing before reporting back - Leufroy mutters something about a relic; Rashad leaves to find his brother; Coenwulf says his husband is coming with them, which Renier enthusiastically agrees to - Aelred is now part of the family too! Hmm, maybe he will go meet his own (hopeful) future spouse while he still has the time!

Renier runs into Lady Ermeline outside. She offers him her manor's finest knights.

"Thank you but it's unnecessary," Renier says politely, but the lady insists, "I want to ensure Sir Dagobert's freedom from the enchantment."

"So do we," Renier replies hotly. Does she think they are going to cut their cousin down where he stands?

"Sir Dagobert is very dear to me," she says seriously.

"I'm sure," Renier replies dismissively and tries to leave but the lady steps in his way.

"Would you rather my sick father resume his service under the Duke?"

"No, of course not!" The knight throws his hands up in surrender. "We leave at ----. Tell your men to be there. Can you at least tell me where Lady Machteld is?"

He finds her with a group of women, sewing and chatting away. He hovers at the edge of the circle uncertainly, but she notices and comes up to him with a smile. Renier tells Machteld of his mission while trying to ignore her mother's withering glare. Good lord, what crawled up her butt?

"I don't suppose it is what you would have wanted," he finishes awkwardly. "I do want to earn enough glory to deserve your hand, but there will always be battles. Family comes before all else." Surely she'll understand? "So, uh. I just wanted to say goodbye. Take care of yourself," he smiles.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 pm

After her conversation with Sir Renier, Lady Ermeline allows a triumphant smirk to grace her features before dashing off to apprise her father and her retainers of the upcoming expedition. Still a little frustrated from her conversation with the knight, she starts hatching a plan.

In another part of the castle, Lady Machteld is sewing while listening to all the latest gossip. Her mother, who had been haranguing her about her marriage prospects, sniffs inelegantly as she notices Sir Renier approaching. Smiling politely at the other ladies, Lady Machteld approaches the knight. Listening to him, she can understand how he feels, and her smile softens.

"Family is important, good sir, and I do hope your mission is successful," she starts, glancing down at her hands. "I will endeavor to wait for you." That is, unless her mother starts taking matters into her own hands. "Be safe."

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Scarik » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 pm

Under the command of Sir Renier the Cousins set off on the north road toward Liege,after all it's only a journey of three days until they reach the place where the Sons of Aymon are said to be.

Bu no quest worthy of the name is simple, and after a single day they find themselves joined by the the warriors of Chession lead by none other than Lady Ermeline d'Chession. The lady herself rides a white courser as tall as any destrier and is clad in a shining breastplate and helm with sleeves and skirt of maille.

Her force consists of five esquires atop rouncies, two knights of advanced age and a dozen footmen whose best trait is that they can hold their spears upright.

Scarik
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:08 pm

Renier takes in the scene with bemusement. He doesn't recall Lady Ermeline talking about accompanying them.

"What are you playing at?" he accuses.

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby roobeastie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:25 am

Lady Ermeline draws herself up to her full height as she regards Sir Renier, the audacity of his comment making the men behind her visibly wince. "What am I playing at, good Sir?" she repeats, a bit of an arch tone in her voice.

"My father is in no condition to be out here leading a command, therefore as his heir it falls to me. If my uncle, Sir Eiger, knew of the disrespect you feel so entitled to treat me with, why I doubt he would think so highly of you. Now then, what say you?"

roobeastie
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Next