Donald Trump tells congresswomen to go back

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Donald Trump tells congresswomen to go back

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:48 pm

There are for congresswomen known as "the squad." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, and Ilhan Omar. All except Omar were born in the US and all are legal US citizens. Recently, Trump attacked the women and told them, literally, to go back to where they came from.

Nanci Pelosi is normally a huge enemy of the right, but the right is forced to take her side here because she stupidly decided to publicly scold "the squad" for not voting in favor of a border aid bill because they believed it didn't do enough to protect migrant children. Establishment democrats look down on Cortez because she's young and does things differently, and they talk down to her.

Later, Trump demanded they apologize for calling him "racist," which is apparently "disgusting language."

I'm really angry at Donald Trump for this. I think people have become jaded and have the attitude that he says racist things all the time, but I truly believe this is the worst thing he has ever said. Usually his racism is aimed at non-US citizens, such as his attempt to keep people from Muslim nations from legally entering this country. These women are AMERICANS and like most Americans (including Trump) their recent ancestors are not from the continent. He's telling them they don't belong here because they are not white.

Trump is not going to become a better president. He's going to become worse and more extreme every day and it's something we should all be upset about.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: Donald Trump tells congresswomen to go back

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I don't like any of these Congresswomen, but I'd like to point out that they are the closest thing the Democrats have to a Tea Party. Except that, instead of being a third of the caucus which holds the other two thirds in check with threats of primary challenges ... there's four of them, and Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats pick on them for moderate points.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:07 pm

cmsellers wrote:I don't like any of these Congresswomen, but I'd like to point out that they are the closest thing the Democrats have to a Tea Party. Except that, instead of being a third of the caucus which holds the other two thirds in check with threats of primary challenges ... there's four of them, and Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats pick on them for moderate points.

They're still threatening primary challenges, and stirring up a lot of discontent among the most liberal part of the voter base. I don't blame Pelosi for being upset with them, although I'd prefer that they keep the acrimony off of social media.

Regarding Trump... nobody can really say they're surprised, can they? If this is the worst thing he's ever said, it's not by much. This is the guy who ran on a platform of "Mexico is sending us their rapists." All the heinous shit he's said since taking office tracks pretty well with the heinous shit he said before he got there.

The depressing part is that no matter how much he lowers the bar, Republicans keep slithering under it. Trump is too sick and ignorant to know any better, but what's Lindsey Graham's excuse to go on Fox this morning and defend him? Not one single, stinking Republican in Congress even bothered to issue a critical statement about it. They're all on board. This is one side of mainstream American politics now.

EDIT: Since I posted earlier, Reps. Will Hurd (TX) and Mike Turner (OH) have denounced Trump's remarks. Two down, two hundred or so to go.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
I'm really angry at Donald Trump for this. I think people have become jaded and have the attitude that he says racist things all the time, but I truly believe this is the worst thing he has ever said. Usually his racism is aimed at non-US citizens, such as his attempt to keep people from Muslim nations from legally entering this country. These women are AMERICANS and like most Americans (including Trump) their recent ancestors are not from the continent. He's telling them they don't belong here because they are not white.

Trump is not going to become a better president. He's going to become worse and more extreme every day and it's something we should all be upset about.

Sadly, I think this is what a lot of his base wants. There are a few disturbing but unsurprising examples of research suggesting that fear of racial diversity was a major motivation among Trump supporters in the 2016 election. For example:

Perceiving growing racial diversity as a threat strongly predicts Obama to Trump vote switchers, and more positive attitudes towards diversity predict the probability that a Romney 2012 voter would defect from the Republican nominee in 2016.

This aligns with research indicating that white people who fear being outnumbered by nonwhites are more likely to oppose welfare programs and that racial resentment increased among whites after Obama was elected. Hopefully it's obvious that I'm not calling all Trump supporters racist or suggesting that all non Trump supporters aren't. But despite a heavy emphasis on Trump's supposed economic accomplishments, economic anxiety doesn't seem to have been a major reason many people voted for him. I think Trump rightly recognizes that the politics of fear and resentment of the other really resonates with his most fervent supporters and others aren't turned off enough by racism not to vote for him as long as he promises a few things they hold dear.

I totally agree that his behavior will get worse, and many conservatives will either cheer him on or turn a blind eye because they think it's for the greater good, whatever that means for them.

As far as Pelosi goes, I'm not really a fan and not really surprised by her condescension towards progressives. The establishment Dems seem to oppose that sort of diversity while patting themselves on the back for not looking like a bag of white rice.

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby Pedgerow » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:50 pm

Tesseracts wrote:
I'm really angry at Donald Trump for this. I think people have become jaded and have the attitude that he says racist things all the time, but I truly believe this is the worst thing he has ever said.

I'm actually tempted to agree with this. It's so much more incendiary, in so many more directions. He has simultaneously managed to fire on women, ethnic minorities, Americans, Democrats, foreigners, and people who understand how immigration works at all. It's such a cartoonishly dumb thing to say, that for him to believe it even remotely is the greatest insult of all. It's like he straight-up hasn't been paying attention to anyone or anything. I give pretty much everyone the benefit of the doubt, pretty much every time, unless other people beat me to it. But here, I cannot even conceive of a person who would think these comments make sense, and yet there is no benefit of the doubt to give. He's just an idiot.

The obvious thing here is that he is clearly trying to rile up the media so they talk about this instead of some colossal indiscretion. No way does Donald Trump mean what he's saying up there. Even Donald Trump is too intelligent to believe that if you're black you automatically must just be visiting from Africa. If he thought that, then he would have appeared on TV wearing his clothes inside out at least once by now, or stuck his finger in a foreign electrical socket, or pooed his pants on purpose at an international summit, or believed the Avengers are real, or tried to declare war on Westeros. He hasn't done any of those, so who is he trying to fool by acting this dumb?

So: what the hell is he trying to distract everyone from? What has he actually done this time that he needs to cover up?

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm so close to getting a bingo.

Kick a puppy, kick a puppy, c'mon already.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:25 pm

I tend to be somewhat sympathetic to Pelosi.The GOP is trying to paint the democrats as these four people, and that could pave the way for a 2020 victory in the Midwest. That aside...

I also think I'd catalogue this as the worst thing Trump has said thus far. Part of me has always been kinda alright with him saying horrible things and stacking an already overburdened budget with rich people tax cuts because it rips the mask off of a GOP trying to deny all that it really is, driving younger and more diverse voters further away. This is a different type of horrible than his usual stupidity.

This is pretty racist. Worse, this continues to push an attitude I despise among republicans, where they think themselves the sole arbiters of what is American and what isn't, with anyone who looks or votes differently or has problems with the country aren't really Americans. You see it on Fox News all the time, when they talk about "real Americans", I.e. Any that vote republican. So am I, who have spent more time in the armed forces than Tucker Carlson(an elitist who went to Harvard) the lesser American of the two? In this hyperpartisan era, that attitude genuinely worries me.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 pm

iMURDAu wrote:I'm so close to getting a bingo.

Kick a puppy, kick a puppy, c'mon already.

But only if he wears a blonde handle bar mustache or handlebar-mustache-shaped toupee.

Pedgerow wrote:
Tesseracts wrote:
So: what the hell is he trying to distract everyone from? What has he actually done this time that he needs to cover up?

Perhaps the fact that the ICE raids he promised this weekend don't appear to have happened.

But I don't really think he's necessarily trying to create a distraction. Trump also pushed birtherism when Obama was president and even offered $5 million for his college transcripts and passports. Much like the racist tweets, I don't think the point was that really believed Obama was born in Kenya. It was the idea behind it, that as a nonwhite person with a foreign-sounding name, he wasn't "really" American or representative of the Americans that count. And I think he wanted to suggest that because Obama is black (technically interracial, but that's not how people view him), he wasn't smart enough to excel in school. And his history of racism goes back way farther than that if you look into housing practices. Racism isn't always about the exact words you use but the attitude perceived behind them. Hence, the existence of racist dog whistles. Trump just so happens to use a racist bullhorn sometimes.

Last edited by Fun With Mr. Fudge on Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 pm

I first read this as...Donald Trump tells congresswomen to go BLACK.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:08 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I first read this as...Donald Trump tells congresswomen to go BLACK.

(Trump grins at them leecherously, and wiggles his brows suggestively)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Come now. Once they do that, they'll never go back.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby Absentia » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:24 am

The House of Representatives voted on a resolution to condemn Trump's remarks, a purely symbolic gesture. With Democrats in control of the chamber, it passed. How many Republican votes did it get?

Spoiler: show

4, out of 197 Republicans. Add in the newly independent Justin Amash, and that's a whopping 2.5% of elected Republicans in the House who were willing to break ranks, even just far enough for a toothless resolution.

Like I said, they can squeeze under even the lowest bar.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:07 pm

The Republicans are playing a game of political limbo. Also, don't lump Justin in with the Republicans. You don't know his political bent. He could be a communist and we'd never know.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:19 pm

I've been waiting like idk my whole life for the Republicans to come out as the party of Racism and Sexism but they were denying it forever. I'd be more relieved if they would also admit they're on the march to communism instead of only accusing the left of it. I mean, having corporations instead of a government doing things is just semantics imo but that's another discussion for another thread.

Really the thing that gets me is I'm supposed to fear 4 Congresswoman based on the rants of someone who doesn't understand what Congress is or how it works and doesn't even research the people he insults. Is he going to sheepishly admit that 3 of the 4 are native born Americans once he sees their birth certificates?

I never came across the "real Americans" ideal until I moved to Ohio. People would tell me they've visited the D.C. area where I'm from but they didn't like it because there weren't many Americans there. I would say what do you mean? There's like nothing but Americans wtf are you talking about. Apparently to them "real' Americans have white skin. I was not aware of that. Probably because it isn't true and I'm not an uncultured swine.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 pm

phpBB [video]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep