Sports section?

Discussion, in general

Sports section?

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:53 am

Kind of self explanatory really, since we have basically all the other topics such as music, games, movies, books etc etc I thought we might as well have a section where anyone can discuss sport orientated media.

I don't know, seemed like a good idea at the time writing this.

EDIT: Should be sports in general too, so that we can not only discuss sport orientated media (since we have a lot of sport lovers here) but also our own fitness, weight-loss and dietary goals (which other people prefer). And I know certain people here have talents in certain sports (such as fencing) and then they could have those "ask me threads" for people that are interested it in as well. And all of this can just be found in one place instead of searching through all the other current affairs and general discussion sections for our daily dose of sporty stuff.

Last edited by DoglovingJim on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Sports section?

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:02 am

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure anyone here keeps track of or knows stuff about sports? If there are other people who like it it's easy enough to do, I just don't know if we have the necessary number of interested users to sustain a discussion on it.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:05 am

aviel wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure anyone here keeps track of or knows stuff about sports? If there are other people who like it it's easy enough to do, I just don't know if we have the necessary number of interested users to sustain a discussion on it.

Fair enough.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:23 am

Feel free to post about sports in general discussion.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby 52xMax » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:44 am

There are a few sports enthusiasts on this site, but I'd say there probably aren't that many. So while I don't think a sports subforum would gain much momentum, you can always make a thread about your favorite sport/discipline, or about swpecific events like the olympics, a boxin match, Wimbledon or whatever, and I bet a few people will chime in.

There's been threads about the world cup, and I'm not sure if NFL discussion happens much (outside our IRC channel), but I know that fantasy football league has been a thing for two years in a row. I'm more of a baseball fan so that stuff really doesn't draw my attention, but I know there's people on the forum who visit regularly and are idle or lurking, so there's a chance some of them are big into sports and they'd be interested in participating on sports threads (either on General discussion or Current events for specific things)... probably they're just spiderbots, though.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby LaoWai » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:57 am

Baidu spider and I are still crying into our mugs over the Ravens' loss. Seriously, two 14-point leads turned into a loss?

*Curls into a ball and weeps gently.*

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 pm

aviel wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not sure anyone here keeps track of or knows stuff about sports? If there are other people who like it it's easy enough to do, I just don't know if we have the necessary number of interested users to sustain a discussion on it.

It is just you.

We sustained plenty of discussion about Soccer during the world cup. And some of us follow with the football (soccer) clubs abroad. (Manchester United all the way. Feck Liverpool. AND feck you, Crystal Palace).

We also do have some football fans here.

And don't even get me STARTED on the nightmare game that was Cowboys vs. Lions. WTF refs? I swear they need to drug test the refs or something.

Last edited by sunglasses on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:44 pm

I'd love to talk about sports. I could do it all day. Most of the sports fan sites are full of rabid jackasses though and donkeys aren't generally gentle when they bite. I'm still undecided on which draws more trolls, sports or politics. I'm a fan of certain teams but I consider myself to be objective and I'm a fan of greatness. Everyone where I live hates Tom Brady (might have something to do with the Ravens losing) but I want to see him win a 4th Super Bowl title because holy hell that's a great an amazing accomplishment.

Right now I've got THE Ohio State University winning tonight but barely, the Seahawks and Pats playing in the Super Bowl with the Pats winning and unless the Terps fall off big time in the next 2 months I think they could be a legit sweet 16 team in the basketball tourney and I'll be shocked if Kentucky isn't in the final game of that tourney. Whew. Oh and the Spurs will win the NBA title again.

I just don't start topics on the subject unless there's something transcendent happening like Michael Sam being drafted and subsequently blacklisted from the league, er I mean getting cut from two teams and not playing in a regular season game unlike any other previous SEC defensive player of the year that was drafted dating back more than a decade. Yeah you could say I think there's an agenda there.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:25 pm

*bites Sunny's ankles*

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Cordslash » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm

*Raises hand*. Huge sports lover here. Not many people, if any, on TCS enjoy my passions - rugby and cricket (except for nisi on the cricket front) - but soccer, tennis, track and field, swimming etc. are all sports I love as well. And I've had some exposure to football recently so discussions on that would greatly improve my knowledge of the game.

Also nisi if you're reading this damn your Windies team. Gayle destroyed us yesterday. It was heartbreaking.

Last edited by Cordslash on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby JamishT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:08 pm

iMURDAu, you're dang right THE Ohio State Buckeyes will win! Although I'm honestly pretty worried...

Anyway, I like sports, but am only a serious fan to college football and the Olympics.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Cardale Jones literally has nothing to lose and is playing like the typical "doesn't know he's a third stringer" player. If he wins its the greatest thing to happen to him as a college athlete, if he loses there's the built in "he's the backups backup" excuse. Yes I'm pinning the entire game on how he plays.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 pm

CmdrVimes wrote:*Raises hand*. Huge sports lover here. Not many people, if any, on TCS enjoy my passions - rugby and cricket (except for nisi on the cricket front) - but soccer, tennis, track and field, swimming etc. are all sports I love as well. And I've had some exposure to football recently so discussions on that would greatly improve my knowledge of the game.

Also nisi if you're reading this damn your Windies team. Gayle destroyed us yesterday. It was heartbreaking.

I actually like Rugby quite a bit but don't currently watch/keep up with it. For various reasons. The main one being that it's not the easiest to find stream.

Mmmm, those Rugby thighs.

Anyway-knock it off, Carrie! I can't like Liverpool since I like Man U and I dislike Crystal Palace for a number of reasons (mainly the color of their kits).

Now let's compare scarves.

Man U:
Manu.jpg
Manu.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 12759 times

Crystal Palace:
crystal palace.jpg
crystal palace.jpg (11.95 KiB) Viewed 12759 times

Liverpool:
liverpool.png
liverpool.png (52.19 KiB) Viewed 12759 times

Clearly, Manchester United has the superior scarf colors.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:24 pm

It's the liking Man U as much as disliking Liverpool.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby LaChaise » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Once again, rugby kicks football's butt.

I mean, look at these!

Also, Sunny mentioned awesome rugby thighs, I have to post the Dieux du Stade official calendar. (NSFW)

"Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"

"I'll die soon. But the last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life."
LaChaise
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: Lust in Translation

Next