5 Things People Hate That Are Suspiciously Popular

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Things People Hate That Are Suspiciously Popular

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:02 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-things-people-claim-to-hate-that-are-suspiciously-popular/
This article has Felix Clay attacking hipsterism with the "Appeal to Popularity" fallacy.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Things People Hate That Are Suspiciously Popular

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm of the belief that you can't truly hate something unless you know it well (the old "familiarity breeds contempt" thing). Thus, when I say I hate McDonald's, it's because I've bought plenty of Quarter Pounders, and also served plenty of them back in the day when I worked there.

If given the choice, I'll get a burger from Jack in the Box every time, because of the fast food burger joints that are in shooting distance from my house, they're the only one open 24 hours and they actually offer a bit of flavor to their artery-clogging services. Plus, the meals there are pretty much the same price as ones at McDs.

But I don't always get the choice, particularly if I'm not the one driving the car. If the person driving just wants to stop at whatever place is on the way home, I have to suck it up and either get something from the place they stop at, or go home and cook for myself. Though to be totally honest, nine times out of ten I'd rather just stop at the grocery store, buy a pound of ground beef and a bag of buns and cook my own anyway.

In the same vein, I hate Wal-Mart because they treat customers and employees like thieves, and if I can buy something anywhere else, I'll avoid Wal-Mart. But Wal-Mart has the best bakery in my area, so if I want some awesome bread, I'll still buy it there even if I have to be patted down by a greeter when I enter and leave the store. However, unlike what the article implies, it's not any cheaper to buy things at Wal-Mart than anywhere else. In many cases, it's more expensive at Wal-Mart, in fact. If I want cheap, I go to Family Dollar.

The other stuff listed? I don't hate 'em. I don't care enough about Nickelback, Twilight, or the Kardashians to work up energy to hate 'em because I can't work up enough energy to know what there is about them worth hating. I do hate having to hear people talk about them, but I'll live.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:03 pm

I didn't know I hated the Kardashians because I never actually saw an episode of their show until this past Wednesday. It was amazing how quickly I reverted to judgment mode just because they are a little... a lot... okay, like SO insipid. Seriously, it was pretty terrible. But whatever, it's just reality TV, and that's how the world gets down. Although I still have no idea why the E! network was playing in a break room for gruff airplane mechanics. The irony is that they finally did change the station, to the History channel, to watch a reality TV program about a pawn shop instead.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby aBagofYoughurt » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:29 pm

The Nickelback hate I never got. It's pretty bland and boring music, yes, but it's pretty inoffensive stuff. I don't see how it's cringe-worthy-oh-my-god-must-turn-it-off-I-can't-even bad. That might be the internet exaggerating a wee bit, though, as it tends to do. But yeah, I've grown up around similarly aged friends and the older adults who like Nickelback. I never had a problem with it. Boring music. There's worse things in the world. So yeah, never got the Nickelback hate, and maybe I am kinda offended on behalf of all the wonderful Nickelback fans I happen to know.

Hello
aBagofYoughurt
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lurker Supreme

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:04 am

Nickelback is some kind of a band, right? Or a soda, or a store, or one of those terms like "donkey punch?" Or is it a douche? Kids listen to all kinds of stuff these days, I can't keep track.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby AboveGL » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 am

DashaBlade wrote: I don't care enough about Nickelback, Twilight, or the Kardashians to work up energy to hate 'em because I can't work up enough energy to know what there is about them worth hating. I do hate having to hear people talk about them, but I'll live.

My exact take. I've heard more about them from people who hate them.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:08 pm

If a lot of people hate something, it must therefore be well known, and thus is probably popular.

Join us next time for the Cracked Article Seven Sea Creatures that are Suspiciously Fond of Salt Water

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Exception: the Westboro Baptist Church.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Exception: Whales

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:06 pm

The Westboro Church is a sea creature? Wow, no wonder they're such bigots.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep