5 Trivial Things With Armies of Crazy Advocates

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

5 Trivial Things With Armies of Crazy Advocates

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:13 pm

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-trivial-things-with-armies-crazy-advocates/

Because, why, bother, with, the , whole, "getting a life", thing, when, you, can, screech, like, a, gibbon, on, the, internet?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 5 Trivial Things With Armies of Crazy Advocates

Postby Cordslash » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:58 pm

It's not just the internet though. The breast feeding one in particular is a toxic debate.
Most of my friends have young children and everyone, from acquaintances to complete strangers will give "advice". Don't breast feed because of health reasons (the mother's or the child's)? You monster! Dare using formula? Monster! People seem to think they have a right to tell other people how to raise their children.

This means my one friend is stared at (read "judged") if she takes out the bottle in public, but also judged when she breasts feeds in public. Of course she is ALSO judged if she doesn't feed the child at all and he screams because he's hungry.

As far as breast feeding and all its intricacies go people are the absolute worst.

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby DashaBlade » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 pm

CmdrVimes wrote:It's not just the internet though. The breast feeding one in particular is a toxic debate.
Most of my friends have young children and everyone, from acquaintances to complete strangers will give "advice". Don't breast feed because of health reasons (the mother's or the child's)? You monster! Dare using formula? Monster! People seem to think they have a right to tell other people how to raise their children.

This means my one friend is stared at (read "judged") if she takes out the bottle in public, but also judged when she breasts feeds in public. Of course she is ALSO judged if she doesn't feed the child at all and he screams because he's hungry.

As far as breast feeding and all its intricacies go people are the absolute worst.

Oh dear God, yes. It's gotten to the point in my life where I get downright rude to people when they ask the feeding question. Honestly, it's nobody's business but the mother's as to whether they want to breast feed or bottle feed, and I make it a point to make sure nosy people know that. Last time someone asked a pregnant woman about it in my presence, I hit the roof, and said some rather impolite things about people who worry more about other people's families than their own. The pregnant woman in question thanked me, and said that she'd been dying to tell people the same thing.

As an aside, it pisses me off that nursing mothers have to take their baby into the bathroom because God forbid she should pop a titty out in public. I didn't breastfeed my kids, and that was part of the reason why. I'm not going to say anything about the sociopolitical implications, but I will say that if someone yells "Think of the children!" and then looks down on someone who IS thinking of her child, they're the worst sort of hypocrite.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:16 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Jeckel » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:52 pm

And this is why, overall, I didn't like the article. They had to throw the breastfeeding item in there and, not surprisingly, all conversation has focused on that one item. Bottle, breast, it doesn't matter, generations of kids have been raised on one, the other, or both and have turned out fine.

Meanwhile, text editors (or the advanced IDE versions of text editors), proper indentation, and correct order of operations are fundamentally important topics that keep our software driven world operating. If every parent switched completely to breast or bottle feeding tomorrow, then society as a whole wouldn't even notice. However, if order of operations changed tomorrow, then you would immediately see the entire internet would crash, as would the satellites in orbit and every other software driven device (which at this point is pretty much all of them). If consistent indentation was removed or everyone was forced to return to the dark ages of editors that vi and emacs represent, then you would literally be adding thousands and maybe millions of man hours to maintaining the highly complex code that we all rely on, basically rendering out technological lives unsustainable and grinding the medical, scientific, and all other progress of our species to a halt.

So, which is more important; the topic that could maybe, possibly have a slight (or just as likely no) positive/negative effect on the early years of development, or the topics that would most definitely grind the lives of half the planet to an immediate halt and push our species back to the early stages of the industrial age. The answer is the latter, not the former.

This article is just another example of cracked feeling the need to include some pointless controversy in an otherwise great article, just to up the clickbait factor.

Jeckel
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Well the title did say trivial.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am

Jeckel wrote: If every parent switched completely to breast or bottle feeding tomorrow, then society as a whole wouldn't even notice.

Nonsense. For poor people in the developing world, it makes quite a lot of difference whether they can breastfeed or have to buy and prepare formula.

Jeckel wrote: the topics that would most definitely grind the lives of half the planet to an immediate halt and push our species back to the early stages of the industrial age

The way you're putting it makes it sound like as if there were only two choices; the way things are done today, or the collapse of technological society, and return to the Dark Ages. If that were the case, there would be no reason for any kind of argument whatsoever, because everyone would agree that the way we do things is the only way to do them.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep