6 Ways Your Brain Is Programmed To Keep You Unhappy

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

6 Ways Your Brain Is Programmed To Keep You Unhappy

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:18 pm

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Re: 6 Ways Your Brain Is Programmed To Keep You Unhappy

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:52 pm

This article is right about one thing: my brain is programmed to make me unhappy. However, I couldn't relate to just about anything else in the article. I don't think happy people are stupid or deluded. Minor inconveniences don't make me more angry than major ones. I'm not compelled to get involved in bad relationships to avoid loneliness. I'm not a hedgehog. I would never lie and say I want to go to Applebees. And I'm a burden because I'm lazy and stupid not because I'm trying to avoid being a burden.

“Someone who's always smiling and waving at strangers, dancing in the rain because they like the way it feels -- you know, taking pleasure in the little things, not worrying too much about the world. They're endlessly optimistic, and always sure that everything will be okay. They're probably an artist or some shit.”

This is a joke, right? Artists are happy?! Half the artists I know grew up miserable and friendless.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Re: 6 Ways Your Brain Is Programmed To Keep You Unhappy

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Tesseracts wrote:“Someone who's always smiling and waving at strangers, dancing in the rain because they like the way it feels -- you know, taking pleasure in the little things, not worrying too much about the world. They're endlessly optimistic, and always sure that everything will be okay. They're probably an artist or some shit.”

This is a joke, right? Artists are happy?! Half the artists I know grew up miserable and friendless.

Well, to be fair, after that they say that it is an example of the kind of people other people see as oblivious of problems, and how people think that it's the brooding geniuses who are miserable. Maybe saying "artist" as an example wasn't the best way to describe it, but I think that we in this very site talked about that kind of endlessly optimistic people before.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener