4 Reasons Last Week's Marvel Announcement Might Destroy Them

Our thoughts about the famous Cracked.com.

4 Reasons Last Week's Marvel Announcement Might Destroy Them

Postby EvilerDictator » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-reasons-last-weeks-marvel-announcement-might-destroy-them/

I feel like Cracked has something against Marvel of late. Or maybe David Bell just hates everything.

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Re: 4 Reasons Last Week's Marvel Announcement Might Destroy

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:02 pm

5 Baffling Reasons Marvel Did 9/11

7 Mind Blowing Facts You Won't Believe About How Lame Marvel Is

4 Reasons Marvel Killed Your Real Parents And Replaced Them With Cyborgs

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby EvilerDictator » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:04 pm

*by David Christopher Bell

Have me, I'm a love albatross!
EvilerDictator
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Love Albatross

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Well, it's not the first time this happens. I posted this after reading "4 Reasons the New Star Wars Movies Are Completely Screwed", which was taking shots at Marvel despite being about Star Wars in the same way that this one was taking shots at DC despite being about Marvel.

P.S. Jack Road is a blast in that thread. Keep hitting it on, Jack.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:13 am

I think that Marvel should veer completely from their released plan, just to mess with everyone. Like a movie scheduled for release in 2020 comes out this January. After the credits, there's a shot of a figure in a dark office. The camera dollies in and the figure slowly turns to the face the audience. The figure reaches out, flicks on a lamp (revealing that it's Stan Lee) and yells "YA PUNKED! THE NEXT MOVIE IS WHATEVER AND WHENEVER I WANT IT TO BE!" *cut to black*

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:18 am

JamishT wrote:I think that Marvel should veer completely from their released plan, just to mess with everyone. Like a movie scheduled for release in 2020 comes out this January. After the credits, there's a shot of a figure in a dark office. The camera dollies in and the figure slowly turns to the face the audience. The figure reaches out, flicks on a lamp (revealing that it's Stan Lee) and yells "YA PUNKED! THE NEXT MOVIE IS WHATEVER AND WHENEVER I WANT IT TO BE!" *cut to black*

Don't forget the punchline: "Be true believers of THAT, punks!"

Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:06 pm

With this one, I sympathize with the tone a bit more. First because it is very marketable. Marvel is huge right now, and already doing a swell job talking up themselves, so the obvious direction to take, if you want increased clicks, is a negative tone.

But aside from that, aren't you guys apprehensive that Marvel is going to mess up? I know I am. They keep churning out gold after gold, and as a comic book lover, I am always expecting the other hand to drop. Sure, Emo Spiderman, but that was barely their doing. Did you see the Agent Carter TV show coming to ABC in January?

An awesome looking show about a strong female protagonist that dresses in normal clothing? Oh my sweet Muslim Jesus, Marvel. Can DC have nothing? They were doing so well in television (barring Gotham). I thought that medium was finally where DC was going to win one. But no. If this show is one iota of how good the trailer is, it will be the best superhero show on television. And it isn't even about superheros.

So yeah, I will always click into an article promising to show the hidden flaw in Marvel's Eternal Profit Engine. And Demand Media knows that.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:32 pm

So has everyone heard about Marvel having Google subpoenaed over the account information for the person who leaked the Age of Ultron trailer?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/06/us-district-court-issues-subpoena-for-age-of-ultron-trailer-leak

I made some funnies in the comments there, trolled a guy, probably made him go crazy, then I left. You'd have to scroll quite a bit since that was last night, some of you would recognize my cracked avatar but for those who wouldn't its Megatron's head and my username there is welikehonda. If you're interested, that is.

Anyhooooo. As I said there its kind of ironic that they're upset over a trailer leak when we already know (due to their public announcement) there's going to be an Avengers/GotG team up 2 parter like 5 years from now. I know they wanted to build hype and that the info would have probably been leaked anyway, I also realize they lost some ratings for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. but this isn't the 90's or that one South Park episode. I would've watched it on youtube anyway instead of forcing myself to watch a show I have zero interest in.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby 52xMax » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm

Gotham is actually doing really good, at least on the ratings. And it has already been renewed for a second season, so there's that. But unlike their movie counterparts which has had plenty of ups and down, DC has a pretty good track record doing TV. I never watched Smallville, but that show lasted ten freaking seasons, and both Arrow and the Flash are among the most watched shows on their timeslot and the network they are on. I think they should probably focus more on that instead of planning 10 movies before even knowing if the movie they all rely upon (which they have postponed and then moved back so it would not compete with Captain America 3) is actually going to be successful.

Agent Carter looks great, but I still don't know if I buy it as a regular TV show. I like Agents of SHIELD, but it's been on the bubble since it started, despite being on ABC (owned by Disney) and using characters and plot elements from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Agent Carter is that show except it's also period, so if anything, it's a very bold choice from Marvel. Then there's Daredevil and the other shows they are releasing with Netflix next year, which might make or break them on the television market.

With respect to the movies, I don't know if it was a good move to announce so many projects, even though we've known for a while that the plan all along was to release 2 or maybe 3 Marvel movies a year. The only difference is that now we know the titles and the people being involved on making these movies. so we have plenty of time to speculate and be wrong about almost everything, or be right and disappointed there were no surprises. It makes me miss the days when the first time you heard about a movie was watching the previews on a theater a month before the release, but I guess that's the price you gotta pay to live in the information age.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Jack Road » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:17 pm

DC has always been my first love. I just feel they have the better stories. The fact that they have not figured out a way to tell those stories effectively in television and film is a source of constant sorrow. Sure Gotham got good ratings, but like almost all DC properties, the reviews are deplorable, and I agree with them.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:12 pm

Well, I have to admit that I give them the reason in the part about removing the surprise factor.

Imagine the person who went to watch Iron Man back in 2008 expecting it to be just one item of the "Robert Downey, Jr. Gets It Together" list and ends up walking out of it with the discovery that they were planning to assemble the Avengers, then went to see the second part and discovered that there was a large, very familiar hammer at the bottom of a crater in a desert in New Mexico, and so on. Those moment generated feelings that, with this announcement, may not happen again anymore.

From Russia with Love

Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep

Postby Jack Road » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:28 am

It might, but I know it won't for me, for one simple reason. I'm fucking lazy. I think a lot of other people are as well.

Picture this. We know that they are going to keep pumping out James Bond movies for as long as they make a profit. If you are a die-hard fan who has read all the novels, you understand where the studios can move with the character. What if they put out their twenty year plan for Bond movies? At first we would decry, just as we are doing now, the fall of dramatic tension. Now we know the whole layout. That's distressing. But as time goes on, most people are not going to continue to look at the list and plot-out what each movie is going to do.

I can say for a fact when Ant-Man 3 comes out, or whatever, I'll still be surprised and anticipating, because even now I can't remember if they are planning an Ant-Man 3, or when it comes out. I could look it up, but I won't, because I am lazy.

I'll put it another way, we knew there was going to be seven Harry Potter books, and that Harry Potter was going to have to fight Voldermort at some point. That didn't take away from the enjoyment of the books.

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep