Soooo.... name-calling?

Things to guide you through this site.

Soooo.... name-calling?

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:54 am

So, I'm not terribly clear on the whole name-calling policy. So long as it's someone we all know and they aren't here to defend themselves, whore-bashing and slut-shaming are (apparently) A-OK. On the other hand, I've been modded (with the utmost courtesy, because Englishmen don't know how else to behave) for referring to Avi as a "tedious pain in the ass." (Y'all've all met Aviel, yes? He's the [redacted] often seen patrolling the Current Events arena.) Another example would be that Pov knows he's a pompous prick and has made peace with that reality. Does this mean that none of us can talk about his prickish pomposity?

A little clarity and/or consistency is all I ask!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Soooo.... name-calling?

Postby Marcuse » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 am

In my view, and speaking only partially with my moderator hat on, I'd classify a personal insult as a slur directed at another user. I'm way more likely to look at moderating something in the context of an argument where an insult is directed at someone while in the process of disagreeing with them, than I am a casual reference that appears to be no more than a term of "affectionate reference".

For example:

"Well everyone knows you're a raging pants-dropper" might be okay in the context of a casual conversation with no opposition. The same comment in the context of a heated disagreement about a topic two people feel strongly about would come off like an insult. In most situations, we try to look at the context of the comment in question and try to see why it may or may not be considered an insult.

Unfortunately it's not exactly easy to define a hard and fast rule for that, but my suggestion for avoiding this would be to avoid them in debates where you're arguing against other people, because it looks like ad hominem. In a casual or non-debate discussion, if the other person is okay with it, we have no reason to look at moderating that.

I think the sticking point is that you're not using these terms with an intention of using ad hominem to win an argument, you're using them in a conversational fashion because you're familiar with the people you're talking to. The problem is that we can't judge your intentions (or anyone else's) with any degree of accuracy, nor can other users. If someone finds himself on the receiving end of an interesting appellation in the midst of debate, this can appear as an insult, and I usually feel we have to moderate that.

That's just one moderator's opinion, but I hope that helps.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:11 pm

You're a raging pants-dropper? I'm a raging pants-dropper!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:46 am

I think that name calling shouldn't be allowed if it is intended to be or is perceived as hostile.

If it is intended to be hostile then that should result in moderator action against the name-caller regardless of perception.

If it is perceived to be hostile but not intended, then that should not result in moderator action except (depending on the circumstances) the removal of the insult. However, if a user establishes a pattern of unintentionally hostile name-calling, then moderators should require that user not to name-call regardless of intent.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:21 am

May I ask, for the official record, how you feel/felt about my referring to you as a tedious pain in the ass? Obviously, my intent was quite the opposite of hostile, but intent is only part of the equation. If I were to call you such with affection and hurt your feelings, I should be expected to either quietly delete the offending words or else negate them with an apology and infinite quantities of off-the-fuck-knocking.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 am

When you say off-the-puck-knocking, why do I think of deep throated blowjobs? No offense but that's what I heard.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:44 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:When you say off-the-puck-knocking, why do I think of deep throated blowjobs?

Maybe you need to get laid? ;)

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:57 am

What IS off the fuck knocking?

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:01 am

It's like when I reconfigure shutting the fuck up to read up-the-fuck-shutting. Off-the-fuck-knocking basically means knocking it the fuck off. In short... just me being weird.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 am

I understood it, Damiana. Though it did make me giggle a bit.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:When you say off-the-puck-knocking, why do I think of deep throated blowjobs? No offense but that's what I heard.

Is it hockey season already? Everybody watches the puck but plenty of scoring chances are created off-the-puck.... however they haven't gotten around to televising these blowjobs you mention. That could be the ratings boost the NHL needs.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:59 pm

DamianaRaven wrote:May I ask, for the official record, how you feel/felt about my referring to you as a tedious pain in the ass?

I don't recall this, but I would not have perceived it as hostile, so as neither the intent nor the perception of the insult was as hostile, there is no problem.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby sunglasses » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:53 pm

aviel wrote:
DamianaRaven wrote:May I ask, for the official record, how you feel/felt about my referring to you as a tedious pain in the ass?

I don't recall this, but I would not have perceived it as hostile, so as neither the intent nor the perception of the insult was as hostile, there is no problem.

Wait, that was an insult? I thought it was a pet name for him. Shit, I am out of the loop.

lolz.gif
So out of the loop
lolz.gif (1018.67 KiB) Viewed 8258 times

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby LaoWai » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 pm

C**ks****ing****go***Kard******b***tresp*****oon*****!

Wait, maybe I should read the OP first...Nah, that ********ite's probably just ********ing on about some ******ing *****.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

It's spelled *****, you **** ****ing thunder****

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next