Pet peeves

Discussion, in general

Re: Pet peeves

Postby Blackfish » Mon May 06, 2013 6:48 am

El Coyote wrote:Everyone has them. Mine is when people keep texting when I'm with them. But not like checking your phone once in a while, I mean people who literally don't even look up and rather text than speak with real people. I'm right here dammit why do you want to keep talking to someone who is not physically present!

YES. With the advent of smartphones it's become 100x worse, as there's also Facebook, Instagram, etc.

My current one is droplets of urine on the toilet seat. Okay, fine, you're too lazy to lift the seat. Then wipe the damn seat if you get urine on it. Seriously. I don't even like dealing with my own pee. I like wiping up other people's piss even less.

I don't like creases on book spines, and I've yelled at a friend for doing so before (not proud of that). You can always tell if a book is mine as the spine is completely uncreased, even doorstoppers like the Song of Ice and Fire books.

And I can't stand people who say the past is better, because more often than not, it's either always been terrible, or it's better now than it is in the past. Like when people say movies were better in the past or (more commonly) that Hollywood is devoid of ideas. No. It's because in the long run, only the good ones continue to be remembered; we don't see the crappy ones because no one remembers them. Some idiot in 2030 will be going on about how the early 2010s were a great time for movies - you have Black Swan, Inception, the Avengers, Inglorious Basterds etc. But that idiot will not remember that we also got Green Lantern, Sucker Punch, Due Date and a thousand other mediocrities in the same period.

Yeah. I feel more strongly about this than I should.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby Nostraa » Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 am

I object to the Sucker Punch comment. I liked that movie
*runs away crying*

Nostraa
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: The Beast of Reflection

Postby Dottoe » Mon May 06, 2013 8:07 am

Yeah, Sucker Punch was pretty awesome, especially for a chick flick. Due Date wasn't that bad either, more forgettable, but no The Dilemma.

Spoiler Alert, I guess, but on that note, movies that are advertised as comedies, only to deliver a whole two minutes of mediocre comedy and two hours of depressing drama. It's not black comedy, it's just awful.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Cordslash » Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 am

People with no reading comprehension.

Whether it's an article on a comedy site or articles on news sites, an alarming number of people will simply not understand it.

Sometimes when I read comments (and I always do) I want to punch complete strangers through the screen, saying:
"Aargh! That's not what the article said!"

Also I'm the type of person who routinely says "Aargh".

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby Blackfish » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Nostraa wrote:I object to the Sucker Punch comment. I liked that movie
*runs away crying*

I like its ambition, and I think it's been unfairly criticized as sexist, but... that movie was pretty mediocre. I didn't hate it but I thought the controversy around it was much more interesting than the movie itself.

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Blackfish wrote:I don't like creases on book spines, and I've yelled at a friend for doing so before (not proud of that). You can always tell if a book is mine as the spine is completely uncreased, even doorstoppers like the Song of Ice and Fire books.

I hate creased book spines, and I hate it even more when people fold corners of pages to mark their place (and/or... *shudder*... mark where they left off in pen). More generally, I find it annoying when people treat their stuff (or mine) like garbage.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Crooked signs, a bulldog clip with the handles(?) up, those who tweet at the Pope somehow thinking they're making a dent in his beliefs, Christians trying to argue someone into salvation (I'm a Christian because of an experience, not an argument), those who just don't seem to grow up, guys who would tap anything female and can't shut up about it, those who think they know about the Amish when all they know is from The Witness, the hot water tank being empty, those who don't know when to stop, and not winning.

That's a long list. Thankfully, I like lists!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Typical Michael » Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I don't lend out books, especially paperbacks, because people either have no idea how to treat books, or straight never return them.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Nullbert » Mon May 06, 2013 6:20 pm

People who play their stuttery sounding dubstep or some other eardrum violating music at irritatingly loud volumes from their phone. Seriously, I don't want to hear it, I want to shout at them to use some freaking headphones.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby TheWomprat » Mon May 06, 2013 10:59 pm

fun
Like the band
I once punched my sister in the throat because she wouldn't change the song. I know I overreacted but she knew that they sent me into a Hulk rage.

I'm the conductor of the poop train!
TheWomprat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Dottoe » Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 pm

TheWomprat wrote:fun
Like the band
I once punched my sister in the throat because she wouldn't change the song. I know I overreacted but she knew that they sent me into a Hulk rage.

If it makes you feel better (or worse, I dunno) they're closely associated, if not the founders of, The Ally Coalition. My sister hates them too, but they seem to be good people, so I'm happy to play their songs... That and all the references to nuclear war. Wait... are you my sister?

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 am

When my mother texts me while I'm driving on the way to her house (and she knows damn well I am not going to text and drive.)
Overly hesitent left hand turners.
People who say "di-ah-ree" rather than "di-ah-ree-ah."
People who say 'sugar' rather than 'diabetes.'
People who cannot pronounce 'phenergan' correctly.
When people text me while I'm sleeping, and they KNOW I work night shift, yet they almost always start the text with "Where you sleeping?" OR get mad at me for not getting back to them right away.
People who let their children run amok in stores.
People who let their children steal change out of your pockets when it falls out of you jeans in the changing room.
The anti-vaccine people.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue May 07, 2013 11:04 am

People who hop right on their goddamn phones and start goddamn texting while I'm goddamn talking to them.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamesT » Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 pm

People who have so little sense of personal space that they actually follow you when you step back to get out of their line of spittle-fire.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

PreviousNext