Ask a nurse

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Ask a nurse

Postby sunglasses » Sat May 04, 2013 2:22 am

While I cannot give specific medical advice, I'm going to put myself out there and offer to answer any questions you've maybe always wanted a nurse. Maybe you've been too embarrassed to ask or never got around to it. No question will embarrass me, no question is dumb, and I will not call you names, I promise.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Re: Ask a nurse

Postby Typical Michael » Sat May 04, 2013 2:26 am

Have you ever really, like really screwed up a blood draw? Like missed a vein 4 times, or dropped the vial and made a mess? I really don't like that this is the first thing that came to mind. But so it goes.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby Dottoe » Sat May 04, 2013 3:09 am

Really? First thing in mine was Animaniacs, but I imagine all of those questions would be improper for a lady of Sunglass' standard and profession.

Living is the biggest 'screw you' you can give anyone. -Dante Shepard
Dottoe
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 am

I once saw a video on the internet of some highly dedicated nurses who were ready to go to any length in order to make their patients feel better... in fact i didn't even know such acts were physically possible... could you maybe point me towards where they work? I am sure my appreciation would only grow more intense if I were to admire their work firsthand...

Winner of meta-description contest by poll.

Having a point is over-rated.
bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat May 04, 2013 3:20 am

Michael, some people have very hard veins to hit. There may be scar tissue, which can be hard or impossible to punch through, they can have fragile veins, or 'rolly' veins. That being said, I don't normally draw blood, the lab techs do. When they can't get a vein, then I try. I have not always been able to get it. I have gone through a vein, I have 'blown' a vein before as well. I have missed veins attempting to start I.V.s as well.

Dottoe, we don't dress like the nurse from Animaniacs. We just wear scrubs. No caps. Some facilities do wear white uniforms but not like that. And no one wears heels.

And, bayonet that is actually considered sexual abuse of a patient and an inappropriate patient-nurse relationship.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat May 04, 2013 4:16 am

sunglasses wrote:Michael, some people have very hard veins to hit. There may be scar tissue, which can be hard or impossible to punch through, they can have fragile veins, or 'rolly' veins. That being said, I don't normally draw blood, the lab techs do. When they can't get a vein, then I try. I have not always been able to get it. I have gone through a vein, I have 'blown' a vein before as well. I have missed veins attempting to start I.V.s as well.

Dottoe, we don't dress like the nurse from Animaniacs. We just wear scrubs. No caps. Some facilities do wear white uniforms but not like that. And no one wears heels.

And, bayonet that is actually considered sexual abuse of a patient and an inappropriate patient-nurse relationship.

Woah! Who said anything about a relationship...geez..

on a side note what do you mean by blowing a vein... all I can imagine is a distinct popping sound followed by a gravity-defying fountain of blood... sure glad nobody ever blew my veins...

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 am

bayonet wrote:on a side note what do you mean by blowing a vein... all I can imagine is a distinct popping sound followed by a gravity-defying fountain of blood... sure glad nobody ever blew my veins...

Sometimes you can feel a slight pop but what it means when the vein blows is that the vein wall 'breaks' so to speak and a bubble of blood or fluid will go into the surrounding tissue. It will normally happen with fragile veins.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am

sunglasses wrote:
bayonet wrote:on a side note what do you mean by blowing a vein... all I can imagine is a distinct popping sound followed by a gravity-defying fountain of blood... sure glad nobody ever blew my veins...

Sometimes you can feel a slight pop but what it means when the vein blows is that the vein wall 'breaks' so to speak and a bubble of blood or fluid will go into the surrounding tissue. It will normally happen with fragile veins.

So i wasn't far off then..conceptually at least.. also by fragile veins do you mean old people?

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 am

Older persons or people who've received chemotherapy. People who've been receiving certain antibiotics intravenously also may have veins with thinner walls in that arm due to the antibiotics' ph.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby El Coyote » Sun May 05, 2013 1:40 am

Is it possible for a recently deceased body to do a violent kick? I was reading about the execution of a Mexican colonel, and when he was being carried to the graveyard the body suddenly kind of kicked off the lid of the coffin. Is it like some sort of muscular or nerve thing?

There once was a guy called Coyote
Whose voice was a dose of peyote
His smooth mellow tones
Caused such flutters and moans
That the chat got all rapt and emote-y
- OrangeEyebrows

The Second Part of the Western Epic by El Coyote and JamesT
El Coyote
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Son of the Desert

Postby Learned Nand » Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 am

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby sunglasses » Mon May 06, 2013 4:09 am

Oh wow, this is weird. Coyote, I had replied to this and either it's not showing up or it didn't post. But, aviel is right, that can happen. There are a number of reasons it can happen. I've seen a corpse sit up in bet before. Sometimes, excess gas and bloating in the abdomen, sometimes various stages of rigor. The way the skin peels back from fingers and mouth lends to the legend of the vampire.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby bayonet » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 am

assisted suicide.... would you do it?

bayonet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Happy Nurse Week, Ms. Glasses!

http://nursingworld.org/nnw

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby spicytaco » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Typical Michael wrote:Have you ever really, like really screwed up a blood draw? Like missed a vein 4 times, or dropped the vial and made a mess? I really don't like that this is the first thing that came to mind. But so it goes.

So I work as a pulmonary function technologist and one of the things I do is arterial blood draws, meaning I take blood from an artery in your wrist and it's analyzed to measure it's gas levels. After I take the blood I have to tap the syringe to rid it of any air bubbles that would throw off the measurement. Anyway, we got these new syringes that I wasn't used to and when I tapped one I splattered blood all over, including right in my face.

One of the grossest/weirdest thing is some conditions can cause the walls of the arteries to harden, so when I stab into it there's this sickening crunching noise.

cellar door
spicytaco
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Next