Miniatures

A place to hang your fingerpaints, blue ribbons and the things you've created.

Miniatures

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Up till now we've all been putting our Warhammer and other miniatures in Art you Went and Made, and we have on occasion pretty well hijacked that thread, so I thought I'd make a thread especially for them.

I'll go first, shall I?
all.png
all.png (1021 KiB) Viewed 9717 times

This is my first saurus cavalry-lizard. I have three more, but I'll probably wait a while to do them.

It's also the first time I've managed to do claws and spikes worth a damn.

It's also my first attempt at modding besides carving 'scars' into things with a swiss army knife. I cut away the 'bridges' between the teeth and tongue of the cold one (the green thing; the blue one riding it is a saurus), and did much the same with one of the hind claws.

I taught myself a sharp lesson about taking care with the knife, too.
Spoiler: show
ouch.JPG
ouch.JPG (65.31 KiB) Viewed 9717 times

...right by the fingernail.
Marcuse, you're absolutely free to say you told me so. I know you were warning me about damaging the model, not myself, but I did that too. Sliced right through the fang I was trimming and into my finger. But I made a new tooth with green stuff.

I also used some green stuff to fill the gaps where the saurus didn't fit together so well, but the main thing I did was to add a piece of an enemy.
arm.JPG
arm.JPG (106.8 KiB) Viewed 9717 times

That's a spare skink arm, as being what I had available, with the weapon cut away, and green stuff used to make it look less lizard-like and to create the torn-off end, then painted to look humanoid (though if you look closely you can see it has only four fingers; my skill didn't extend to rectifying that).

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Re: Miniatures

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:12 am

Well, it's been a long time since I painted anything. This thread seems a little pointless. But here's saurus cavalrylizard #2:

all.jpg

Last edited by CarrieVS on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Andropov4 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:21 am

If I had a decent camera, I would use this thread. Alas, the best I could possibly do is my camera's phone, and that thing sucks.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Well, here's exhibit C at last. I'm pretty pleased with how this one turned out. (Although not as much as before I photographed it, because the camera flash does show up some flaws that I literally couldn't see with the ambient lighting.)

007.JPG
007.JPG (122.45 KiB) Viewed 9584 times

I rather like the pose of the arms, as though he's alternating beating one drum then the other. That's pure coincidence as it's the only way I could get either arm to fit around the rest. The drums were a bitch to glue on, and I'm not entirely sure how they're meant to be attached - probably to the Cold One's collar I guess.

004.JPG
004.JPG (128.91 KiB) Viewed 9584 times

I love to make all my lizardmen different in colours and patterns. You see so much variation in how people paint them, and it's incomprehensible - and frankly a crying shame - to me that nearly everyone paints whole sets as identical X-tuplets. I stick to a basic theme of blue for the lizardmen and green for the Cold One mounts, but that leaves a lot of scope. The first two were fairly standard, this one as you can see is a little different, a sort of photo-negative of the 'usual' pattern. I'm very pleased with how the body colour turned out.

005.JPG
005.JPG (131.46 KiB) Viewed 9584 times

002.JPG
002.JPG (126.64 KiB) Viewed 9584 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 pm

CarrieVS wrote:I love to make all my lizardmen different in colours and patterns. You see so much variation in how people paint them, and it's incomprehensible - and frankly a crying shame - to me that nearly everyone paints whole sets as identical X-tuplets.

Well, there is a lore reason for this. Lizardmen spawn in batches, and often form units based on those batches, especially the Saurus. Colours can vary between spawnings, and certainly individual markings are totally present, but often it's the climate and surroundings that dictate this. So Lizardmen from one Temple-City may tend towards a blue hue, another might be red, another blue-green and so on. Albino Lizardmen are extremely rare and usually considered marked as special in some way.

Also, a lot of painting guides tend to promote a batch style of painting, which emphasises simplicity of marking and colour, over individuation to help beginners paint up their own units. But it's the mark of a really good painter to make little individual tweaks to their models, so I say more power to you. Your Saurus cavalry are looking amazing!

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:35 pm

Oh, I know the identical battalions make in-universe sense. I just feel like it wastes the potential to be really creative with them. I guess my units are ragtag bands of outsiders, survivors, and leftovers.

One more calvalry pair to go, as this is only half a unit (the rest belong to Alby). Then I have a couple more odds and ends, and after that it'll be on to a bigger project - possibly a salamander, which I have had an idea about for a while.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:43 am

With the muscles on the shoulders and arms in that last photo, did you use some dry-brushing in turquoise there? Nicely done.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 am

Something like that. In all honesty I did the colour on the body so long ago I forget exactly what I used.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Well, the fourth and final pair of saurus cavalry are done, and they're rather special.

014.JPG
014.JPG (143.97 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

Meet Al the fearless, and his - beloved would be the wrong word, but greatly valued steed Beano. (Show the mud, these white animals, don't they?)

Marked out from birth as special, Al is naturally the captain of this little band of mismatched lizards.

021.JPG
021.JPG (147.99 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

He always leads from the front, and it's a point of honour for him to face more dangers than any of his lizards.

On this occasion, though, his prized albino cold one has paid a heavy price for his bravado.

009.JPG
009.JPG (137.58 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

018.JPG
018.JPG (153.82 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

Whatever it was that inflicted such damage took quite a swing at the rider too, but Al just managed to take the blow on the edge of his shield. Maybe it was whoever used to own the arm his lieutenant's mount seems to be finding so tasty.

I'm pretty pleased with this one. It didn't turn out quite so well as I hoped it would at one point, but it's not half bad, if I may say so myself. The wounds on the cold one are definitely my best bit of modding so far - it didn't even look that good in my head.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:14 pm

I had more pictures than you can attach to one post, so here's the rest, that don't have any particular point, just different angles.

016.JPG
016.JPG (151.59 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

013.JPG
013.JPG (131.93 KiB) Viewed 9526 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Well, it's been quite some time but as anyone who's been on IRC lately can't possibly have failed to notice (sorry) I finally have more lizards to show you! A salamander this time. Which is not the little newty thing that real-life salamanders are, but a very big and toothy lizardy thing that spits caustic liquid.

Front.JPG
Front.JPG (141.98 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

Right in your eyes.

Right.JPG
Right.JPG (168.44 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

You know what they say about black dogs with orange eyebrows?* Turns out it also applies to lizards.

Left.JPG
Left.JPG (152.51 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

Do you know, the orange markings of a BDWOE are a very, very specific pattern and working out exactly how that translated to an animal with an entirely different body shape was the hardest part of this model. The second hardest part was working with a resin model instead of plastic for the first time, and learning that acrylic paint rubs off of resin if you look at it. Other than that, it was actually the easiest model I've done.

*I'm not saying anything about the accuracy or otherwise of what 'they' say.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:12 pm

You can only upload four pictures to one post, so here's the rest.

A salamander is an animal, of course, not a soldier, so it comes as a 'hunting pack' with a trio of skink handlers who try to make sure it savages the right side.

All.JPG
All.JPG (159.8 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

Skink1.JPG
Skink1.JPG (139.71 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

Skink2.JPG
Skink2.JPG (124.66 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

Skink3.JPG
Skink3.JPG (135.28 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby pikajew » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:14 am

Sorry for resurrecting, but I want to show off my Arachnarok that I've been working on.

She's the first big model I've ever done and one of the first models I've painted without help.
20150716_175948_resized.jpg
20150716_175948_resized.jpg (328.09 KiB) Viewed 9331 times

20150716_175944_resized.jpg
20150716_175944_resized.jpg (323.88 KiB) Viewed 9331 times

20150716_175924_resized.jpg
20150716_175924_resized.jpg (289.15 KiB) Viewed 9331 times
I'm very proud of all the little work I've done on her.
20150716_175905_resized.jpg
20150716_175905_resized.jpg (358.07 KiB) Viewed 9331 times

I'm not going to finish her until after my move, but I'm anxious to work on her more and base her.

Last edited by pikajew on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pikajew
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Darth

Postby Andropov4 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:56 am

I can't approve of that Arachnarok. You chose the web catapult over the spider shrine. For shame, Pikajew.

I do wish mine looked as nice, though.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby pikajew » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:15 am

We bought a second one so one could have the shrine! (Also, technically it's J's army, not mine. I just use it sometimes because I prefer gobbies to elves.) We did the same thing with the plague furnace/screaming bell. I have two griffons too (though the only difference will be the paint, I want to try a pretty silver ombre on the wings).

pikajew
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Darth

Next