Questions about Judaism

A repository for intrinsically valuable information

Re: Questions about Judaism

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:34 am

Although I recognise that you didn't intend offence, aviel, let's avoid dismissing the beliefs of others. As you're aware we have members of various religions and ranging from extremely devout to staunchly atheist. This needs to be an accepting environment for all of them. Thanks.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:40 am

I'm kind of confused here. We regularly debate about each other's beliefs, including religious ones. What changed?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 am

It's a matter of tone - specifically the use of the word "silly". It's completely fine to say you don't believe in God and find it difficult to understand why anyone does (I'm in the same boat), or even to argue that belief in a deity is harmful - however, it needs to be done respectfully, not dismissively.

This isn't a "punishment" or even a wrist-slap, just a reminder to be aware of others' feelings.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 am

I've used that term many times before here in reference to arguments others have made. Has there been a rule change? Is there some difference in context here I'm not understanding?

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am

No, nothing has changed. The fact is that sometimes we allow things to slide because there's a certain element of edgy humour that's part of the forum culture. Perhaps that isn't as it should be and we should be a hundred percent strict, and I know some of our rules are a little too nebulous for your preference - "you know it when you see it" kind of stuff. I realise that sometimes leaves you feeling uncertain where the line is, which is why I tried to stress that this wasn't an "argh, grrr" sort of thing, more a "hey yeah, let's avoid that in this particular instance thing".

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Learned Nand » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:14 am

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of "you know it when you see it" metrics of evaluating transgressions, but so long as the evaluations result in requests to stop rather than punitive action, it's not much of a problem.

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:46 am

The British Library wrote:The word silly has over many centuries taken a fascinating journey through a range of evolving meanings. Silly did not originally refer to the absurd or ridiculous – in fact quite the opposite. The word derives from the old English word seely, meaning happy, blissful, lucky or blessed. From there it came to mean innocent, or deserving of compassion, only later mutating this sense of naive childishness into a more critical, mocking term, signifying ignorance, feeble-mindedness, and foolish behaviour - the meaning we know today.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:51 am

That's interesting but not really relevant to the matter at hand, and I'd prefer to get this thread back on track so it's about questions about Judaism.

Feel free to start a new thread about the changing meanings of words, though.

OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby blehblah » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, that went a bit sideways rather quickly.

I've my own thoughts on what constitutes a silly person versus a person with a silly tradition(s), silly belief(s), or plain-old silliness, but that discussion does belong somewhere else. I will simply point-out that we do tend to be less than entirely rigorous with the comments on here. This is not a sanctioned forum of international debatering, however masterful of the debatering some folks may be. In that, some reasonable leeway, in every available direction, would seem to be the best way to continue. Else, I suppose it should have been called The Debatering Section.

I'll leave it with a pithy and funny commentary on the English upper class, after which we can return to the regularly scheduled "Questions about Judaism".

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 am

(skip to 0:30 because this damn forum can't handle time codes)

DELAYED EDIT: But now it can! The YouTube tag has been updated so it now supports timecodes and multiple URL formats!

Click for a Limerick
He tested with Turing,
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 am

We don't have a thread for Muslim questions (that I can recall) so I thought I'd drag this one out to post an informative bit about the difference between kosher and halal.

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Previous