ReadMe & FAQ

ReadMe & FAQ

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Here are the rules for Enclosure, as succinctly as I can put them while making them ridiculously clear. If you have any questions after reading these rules, please feel free to post in this thread and a GM will clear it up for you ASAP. Please note, though, that these are overview rules, and your location and personal stats (HP, Items equipped, virtue levels and respawn counter, where applicable) are to be found in the Stats thread. Any questions relating to those topics will be referred to those threads. As rules are revealed, a log of them will be made here.

Last edited by w00 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: testing post edit as Strant -i- pants
It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Re: ReadMe & FAQ

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:44 am

Question (Warriors): What in the heck are stats?

Answer: you deal with these all the time in RPGs. Often times your luck points will determine how often a critical hit lands, for example, or your wisdom will make all magic stronger perhaps. In this game, though, stats are a crucial part of advancing the story and making your way through the dungeons of the Enclosure. They will either increase certain abilities or, sometimes, they will unlock entirely new options! If you come to a room and can go no farther, it's probably time to build your stats up.

How do you do that? Just mention in your post which attribute you want to apply your new stat points to. Points are earned by discovering new rooms and killing beasts that may attack you. You'll note, at the beginning of the phase, that stats were also accumulated by mysterious means while you waited for the dream to begin again.

The attributes are:

Endurance: Lets you fight with more resilience, and also helps you hold your breath longer...
Courage: A stat that improves your ability to take and throw a punch. No fear, son!
Vision: Helps to improve your perception of the rooms you are in, and may even reveal hidden messages.
Grace: Allows you to move with more agility and to use your weapons more elegantly.
Intelligence: When you build this ability up, you will learn how to craft and build with the materials around you.
Favor: Increases the amount of stats you may earn at the start of every phase!

Then there are three more tech trees, but they're passive, meaning they are affected by building up other stats.

Mobility: Allows you to move more than one space at a time on the overworld. Bear in mind that you'll still be hampered by walls, locks, and sealed doors no matter how mobile you are.
Resilience: Once you have gained some resilience, you will recover a set amount of HP at the beginning of every phase. The higher your resilience rating, the more HP you'll gain. It's a very small amount, though.
Skill: As you grow in skill, you will become more adept at combat. Skill affects different combat methods differently, and your method will be outlined specifically for you below your stat grid.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 pm

DREAMERS: So... what now?

I'm glad you asked! You start the game. Just write about what your character is doing. Nobody knows each other at first, but trust me, you will all know each other VERY well by the end of the game. How soon that happens is up to each of you, though. There are no objectives yet, so go nuts. You have twenty-seven thirty hours per phase. After that comes the Warriors turn.

Good luck!

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Blackfish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:14 pm

I need clarification on a couple of things:

1) Am I actually in? I'm not on the Player Stats page.

2) As far as I can tell, there are two sets of players. Are players from the "Warriors" set supposed to post in the "One Last Hurrah" thread?

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby Strant » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 am

Blackfish wrote:I need clarification on a couple of things:

1) Am I actually in? I'm not on the Player Stats page.

2) As far as I can tell, there are two sets of players. Are players from the "Warriors" set supposed to post in the "One Last Hurrah" thread?

1) Yes, yes you are in fact in. Go check the stats page again.

2) No they are not. You'll have to wait a little bit longer.

<Orange>A fellow called Strant (he's a Swede)
<Orange>Is a fetus who somehow can read
<Orange>He'll plant a chat bomb
<Orange>Though with charm and aplomb
<Orange>Then laugh as he watches us bleed
__

"Somewhere over the rainbow there's another rainbow"
Strant
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Asshole

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:14 am

Sorry Blackfish, it's a matter of editing about 30 times each time, but we're ready for you now. Look to post on "In the Enclosure".

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:42 pm

All right, we're about to move into a new part of In the Enclosure: COMBAT. Let's go over it briefly, shall we?

There are several spawn points on the map. When a monster is spawned, I'll let you know where it is, even if the room hasn't been uncovered yet. Defeating a monster earns everyone in the room three stat points. NOTE: This does not earn EVERYBODY playing the points. They have to be in the room. See, I think we got confused when Glasses (Dana) unlocked the Glyph Hall. She's the only one who got those points, in the same way that Alby (Ozzy) got two for unlocking the Snake Pit and GG (Milo) got two points for unlocking the Death Banana Cave. But I digress. Here's how to defeat monsters...

Remember, there are three opportunities for taking action during a Warriors phase, about every ten hours. If the encounter with the monster ends on a cliffhanger (as it did with Milo in the last phase), the monster will never act first. Monsters have several different classes, each with their own special abilities and stats. Right now GG is up against a swarm, which have low singular attack power but can be very dangerous if fought alone. You attack by throwing dice.

Everyone is starting out unarmed; weapons are in a specific room that hasn't been unlocked yet. So, your unarmed attack is 1d4.

Matthew Notch rolled 1d4:

Like that. For every "skill" level you gain (which is not tied to any specific attribute), you can add one to your attack. You can also add one to your attack for every GRACE point you've leveled up. So the highest attack you can use unarmed is 4+4+4=12. Other weapons, which you'll find eventually, will be explained at that point, in that room.

The monsters will attack at the beginning of each turn (again, about every ten hours, three per phase). All players have 50 HP, and when that runs out they will lose all acquired stats (though not skill level) and will start again in the Great Hall after losing a turn. You can heal, but first you have to find a Sampling Jar and also a source of Pure Water. Your Resilience stats will also let you slowly recover HP at the beginning of each turn.

Now this is important: If you're up against a BOSS, you'll be asked to choose three players to join a party that will take on the Boss in the iRC. We'll set up a time that works for all involved. That's about it, in a nutshell. Good luck!

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 am

Can I do a scan and attack in the same phase, or do they count as separate actions and I need to choose one or the other?

Are you guys made of awesome, or do you just wear awesome clothing that radiates awesomeness? (This is not at all a transparent attempt at flattery...)

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby JamishT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

I honestly am completely confused by the dice and how they work. I'll learn that later. My question is, how do I make keys or radios? Do I have to know (do you have to tell me, really) that there is stuff building ingredients around me or do I just assume it's there and build it? Also, we get to move one...unit in a direction per turn, (you don't need stat points or anything for that), correct?

Hi.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Kate wrote:Can I do a scan and attack in the same phase, or do they count as separate actions and I need to choose one or the other?

You would have to choose between the two. Think of it like an option on your HUD when you're playing a turn-based RPG, which is about the only way to do this sort of thing, I think...

Kate wrote:Are you guys made of awesome, or do you just wear awesome clothing that radiates awesomeness? (This is not at all a transparent attempt at flattery...)

You!

JamishT wrote:I honestly am completely confused by the dice and how they work. I'll learn that later.

Here, it's easy. Here's the code:

Code: Select all
[dice]xdy[/dice]
Where x=number of dice thrown, and y=number of faces on the dice.

In Monopoly, you throw 2d6, that is, two dice with six faces each. In Enclosure, while you are unarmed, you throw one die with four faces... er, points, but same difference. I hope that was helpful and not too complicated...

JamishT wrote:My question is, how do I make keys or radios? Do I have to know (do you have to tell me, really) that there is stuff building ingredients around me or do I just assume it's there and build it?

There are indeed stuff-building ingredients, but they are confined to a specific room. You'll know it when you get there, I promise.

JamishT wrote:Also, we get to move one...unit in a direction per turn, (you don't need stat points or anything for that), correct?

The amount of...units you move per turn is determined by your Mobility stat. Now if there are no monsters or unlocked rooms between where you want to go and where you are? You can go straight there as long as you have the Mobility for it. Keep in mind, though, that you can only go the cardinal directions—no diagonal! We don't slant in this game!

JamishT wrote:Hi.

O hai.

Hey, check the OOC thread for the dice codes you need, okay?

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Kate » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Posting this here so other people can see it:

<Kate> And I can derive
<Kate> right?
<Kate> do I have to pick up the ash and derive?
<Notch>Intuit is asking the Oracle a question
<Notch>You can try to derive
<Notch>but you don't have everything you need to do it
<Kate> hmm
<Notch>If you try, though, the Oracle might tell you what's missing
<Notch>OR
<Notch>You could just ask
<Notch>since you have Intuit
<Kate> So I can ask in thread?
<Kate> as my action?
<MatthewNotch>Yes.
<MatthewNotch>Like Jamish did with the door.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Overlord Moo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Notch, for the third person in the boss fight, does he/she need to go to the room first to join up, or can they just declare "Ye Gods! I shall attack the nightmarish nightmare as well" from anywhere in the dungeon?

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby ButtChocolate » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Overlord Moo wrote:Notch, for the third person in the boss fight, does he/she need to go to the room first to join up, or can they just declare "Ye Gods! I shall attack the nightmarish nightmare as well" from anywhere in the dungeon?

Building on that logic, I'd like to see the rest of the Warriors at least attack the beast from their various locations verbally, yelling insults and disparaging remarks at it. It's worth a try- you never know if a combined effort of "Yo mama's so" jokes could somehow inflict +1 Psychological Damage to it, or at least add a Distraction modifier to help diminish its attacks.

"You think you can hurt us with those claws?!?" a voice called out from an adjoining dungeon. "My cat does more damage to my couch if I don't feed it on time!"

"Comb" ~ Typical Michael
ButtChocolate
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Sausage King of Chicago

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:56 am

Moo, very sorry, I just got your PM! I'm a terrible GM! Anyhow... no, Kate can just warp to the arena like you two did. You made a good choice, by the way, she's very strong.

So obviously ship has sailed for boss battle today... How about tomorrow? Just let me know when you're all good to go.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep