In the Enclosure

In the Enclosure

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:40 pm

The ringing in your ears won't stop. The ground is cold. You look up, and you find yourself in a Great Hall. The massive room is clearly in the middle of a cave, as stalactites hang from the high ceilings, yet the floors are paved and smooth, and on all sides are doors, exits leading to other rooms. In the center of the room is a staff with a faintly glowing pink orb on top. The orb suddenly grows brighter, and in the light you recognize that you are in this hall with 12 strangers, people you've never before seen—and yet something about each one is familiar to you.

Then the oracle speaks: "Friends. You are gathered here to stall the advancement of a great evil in the land of the awakened. The rooms are many in this dungeon, and each has a special purpose to hinder or help you in this quest. Beasts of all kinds are spewing forth from the center of this malevolent vortex, and their only desire is to kill you and devour your lifeless body. However, I will retain your spirit and return you to this Hall if you should meet your untimely end out there in the Enclosure.

"There are weapons in this dungeon to aid you, true. And there are ancient tomes with cryptic depictions of craftsmanship and even a magic jar to collect and distribute the healing waters in the deepest parts of this cave to your friends. However, none of these matters nearly as much as those weapons of virtue you bring with you: your own grace, learned endurance, acute vision, willingness to increase your intelligence, and boldness and courage in the face of danger... not to mention a little good fortune. The rooms are vast; you will have to learn to move nimbly to traverse more than one of them at a time. The traps set before you are dangerous and many, but all of them can be overcome by the skills hidden inside you, only made plain by your carefully cultivating the qualities I've mentioned.

"One more thing: through me you are all linked, and can speak to one another from anywhere else in the Enclosure, so don't fear to divide if needed. But remember this: in the end, it will require the work of the entire team to accomplish this terrible task. I can be asked to assist you in discerning the secrets of this cave, but you will first have to learn how to ask such a question. Now go forth, and destroy the source of the evil of our time!"

The Oracle flashes brightly, then dims again, but now the lights are fully on and the dungeons are apparent. As the Oracle stated, there are exits on all sides of the Hall. What will you do now?

So here's how this works: On your turn you can move a space to the North, South, East or West, and take any actions listed there if the room has already been discovered. Of course, this is your first turn, so all the rooms have to be discovered first. If you discover a room, you will earn two stat points. If there are any beasts in a room, you will have to defeat them before any other actions can be taken, including exiting! Beware. Defeating all the beasts in the room will earn everyone present three stat points.

Right now everyone is fighting with their bare hands: roll 1d4 for attacks. You can't attack each other, so don't try. You may only brandish one weapon at a time if you discover it; you won't be able to pick up another you find in your travels to give to a teammate. You can apply your stat points at the end of your post, in pink text, to any of the qualities you see listed in the stat thread. All stats max out at level 4, including the two supplementary stat categories.

For the record, I will be back in about five and a half hours to resolve all actions and reveal squares on the map. After that I will return once again in ten hours to resolve any actions you've taken since then, including combat, will use monsters to attack, and so forth. Ten more hours after that I'll do the same thing, and then your phase will end and the Dreamers will play again.

More details are to be found at this thread here!

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Re: In the Enclosure

Postby sunglasses » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:04 am

Dana the Frazzled heard the Oracle finish speaking. She took the bandana out of her pocket and used it to make a hair band and push her frizzy, blue hair back. She took a deep breathe and took a giant step North.

I'm putting the one stat point I have into Endurance.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Kate » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:09 am

Kate the Klutzy followed Dana North.

I'd like to put 2 points in Favor, please.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Overlord Moo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:20 am

Urthbert looked around the room. He didn't recognize a single soul around him. Come to think of it, this didn't look ANYTHING like the Academy. Something weird was going on around here, and the High Sorcerer didn't like it one bit. On the upside, Urthbert missed his biannual bath. After scraping himself off of the cobblestones, Urthbert was suddenly doused in a golden glow. The divine sparkles showered down from the ceiling, but aside from that, had no obvious source. The light tingled, but not in an unpleasant way. As the light subsided, Urthbert felt ... healthier. And just a smidgen more lucky.

Well, that happened. Urthbert looked around the room and saw two women running to the NORTH. Thinking that it would be best to stick together in this unknown dungeon, Urthbert chased after her.

To recap, I put a point into Endurance and Favor. I also went NORTH.

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:20 am

Ealdgyð was quite confused. He found himself in a great hall, still unsure of what was going on around him. He has never been sure of what was illusion and what was reality after a rather unpleasant incident with a man catcher. Having realized his situation, he slowly got up off the floor. Stumbling a little, he followed voices coming from the north, and so he followed. At least, he thought himself heading north. He very well could have been venturing east or south, or perhaps he was just stumbling at a wall. After all, there IS a reason he has been called "Ealdgyð the Abǣndane".

Ealdgyð has hazily ventured north. He has gained experience in endurance and mobility.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Blackfish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:01 am

For the life of him, Vladimir could not remember how he'd gotten to this place. It was an unnatural place, quite unlike anything Vlad had ever seen in his campaigning. It had clearly once been a cave, but it had been shaped by human hands- or at least, intelligent ones- so that it recognizably resembled a hall of some sort.

If this is Valhalla, this is poor reward indeed. But he sensed that this place, whatever it was, was not the Hall of the Undying. Vladimir the Bastard, it seemed, had lived to fight another day again.

Vlad checked himself. He had his wool tunic on (sans its customary reek), but his lamellar breastplate and dagger was gone. His empty hand on his hip twitched at the absence. Going into town without his trusty bardiche always made him feel exposed, but being completely unarmed was another thing altogether.

Vlad eyed the other dozen strangers warily. At least a few of them seemed like civilians. He decided to wait and see what the others did. As the saying went, there are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but no old bold sellswords. And Vlad, Vlad was not so young any more.

When four of them strode north, Vladimir followed a few paces behind them, trailing a frazzled-looking woman. Safety in numbers. Under his bare toes, the marble(?) floor was smooth and cold.

---

I have traveled north with the rest. I would like to put both points my stat point into Favor, as well.

Last edited by Blackfish on Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Postby Cordslash » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:51 am

Carrot looked around. Broad shoulders straightening he head North with the others.
One point each in Endurance and mobility

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby NudgeNudge » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:58 am

Nudge wasn't very good at being a warrior. He came from a place where war and slaughter were almost a daily occurrence, and that made him feel out of place. And now, for some reason he didn't understand, he was trapped in some kind of smelly cave. Very smelly. Why was that?

Of course, his lack of personality could be really important for his survival. Following people stronger than him, shielding behind rocks, and those kind of things. Some people considered that cowardly. They called him names, and he cried, and they called him even meaner names. But, deep inside, he didn't care. Running away from conflict was the best way to make sure he didn't get killed.

Despite of that, he decided to follow the people that had more initiative than him.

---

So, I go NORTH with you, guys. And I guess I'll spend my point in Favor. I'm going for a support character, not a brave warrior, I think.

NudgeNudge
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 pm

For the record, guys, Mobility is a passive stat and can't be directly buffed. It's not a big ol' deal with Eric since he only had one point anyway (same to you, Mr. Blackfish), but for now, Vimes, I'll leave one of your stat points alone and will put the other in Endurance, okay?

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:21 pm

The entire party decided to head north. Safety in numbers. A wise decision.

Exhausted from the long trek, they find themselves in a long hallway with marble floors, the walls covered in mysterious hieroglyphs. There doesn't seem to be anything else of interest here. At least, that's how it appears...

The entire party is in the GLYPH HALL. No members have any mobility remaining to move on. Exits are back SOUTH to the GREAT HALL, North, and there is a small tunnel leading off to the East.

Glyph Hall.png
Glyph Hall.png (296.23 KiB) Viewed 9557 times

Last edited by Matthew Notch on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added exits information

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:30 pm

"Ahh! What the hell is going on? Who are these people? What do I do? What do I do? How did I get here? Where am I?" Ambi though frantically as he awoke in this strange room. "Why are they all leaving? Where are they going? Decisions, decisions, and not a clue what to do. Hmm, I may as well follow everyone else. There, they made the decision for me, now I don't have to."

Ambi follows the others.

I'll go NORTH with the rest, and put 1 point in Endurance and 1 point in Favor.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Albatross727 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 pm

As Ozzy followed the others North he reflected on the oracle's words, oh sure, he thought to himself, we'll just head off into the darkness and defeat this unspeakable evil, I'm sure that'll turn out just dandy. Well he no idea where he was, even less of an idea who these other people were, and on top of it all he found himself without his beloved longbow; at least things couldn't get much worse he thought hoped prayed.

I go North and shall put one point into grace and the other into favour.

I didn't choose the furry life, the furry life chose me.
Albatross727
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: TCS Birdmaster General

Postby Cordslash » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:04 pm

I'll put my other point in favour

*The artist formerly known as CmdrVimes*

Hancock, John.
Cordslash
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Blackboard Monitor

Postby sunglasses » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:06 pm

Exhausted, and slightly frazzled as was her moniker, Dana studied the strange glyphs upon the walls to see if she could make any sense out of them. The torch light on the walls flickered and cast shadows upon both the walls, and the floor. She lightly ran her fingers along the strange markings while she studied them.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Blackfish » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Vladimir studied the wall markings from a safe distance, arms folded. He had seen hieroglyphs like these before in the sack of Pselchis, when the Brave Bastards sacked the mausoleum of the first River Caliph. He felt his gut clench with superstitious dread at the memory of what happened next.

The frazzled woman had no such qualms and was studying the glyphs intently. The entire group had followed her north out of the great hall, and now seemed to be waiting on her. Vlad sucked in an apprehensive breath through the gap in his front teeth and backed away when she reached out towards the glyphs and ran her fingers along them almost fondly.

Vlad let out the breath he hadn't realized he was holding in when the seconds passed and nothing happened, but the woman seemed intent on tempting fate, her fingers dancing over the stone without any hint of caution.

"Stop touching, woman," Vlad hissed. "These symbols... they are powerful and unholy."

In the night there is something wild
Can you hear it breathing?
Blackfish
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Holy Mop Master Race

Next