NaNoWriMo

What do you do with your free time?

NaNoWriMo

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:23 pm

"NaNoWriMo," you ask helpfully thus sparing me from having to think of an original intro, "What is that? Is YAmI stroking on the keyboard?"

No, my fellow TCSer's I am not. You see NaNoWriMo stand for National Novel Writing Month. You see every November, NaNoWriMo (the organization, not the concept) asks people to write 50,000 words in a month (specifically the month of November).

"That's wonderful, YAmI but why are you talking about this here?"

A wonderful question confused person, let me explain. I have, in my time here, noticed that TCS happens to be full of writers and comedians. So, if any place would enjoy doing a NaNoWriMo it would be TCS. I encourage everyone here to give it a try. I know most of you have something in your brain you would like to put down on paper (figuratively, I assume most of you will use Word).

So in that vein, it would be nice to have a thread where we can get encouragement or help with ideas.

What do you guys think? Who's willing to try?

Last edited by WaitYAmIHere on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wait... How did I get back here?
WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: An imagination of a figment

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm in!

And, if anyone could use a friendly kick in the pants while writing, don't forget about Write Or Die.

ETA:
Oh and I guess I can add my info here if anyone wants to be writing buddies.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Sadly I don't have time this year, but I'd heartily encourage everyone to give it a try - I've done it on two or three occasions and had a blast.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Sheepman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Not sure if I will be in... I might just try and put 1667 words into my currently active story per day. I will probably be too busy, though.

To everyone else, though, NaNoWriMo can be a lot of fun and a great motivator if you have a story you want to write, or even if you don't. The purpose is to write 50,000 words in a row, not 50,000 cohesive words.

My only thing is that I frequently abandon my current story to try and start on a new one, because you're technically supposed to start something new, and then I don't end up doing enough writing in either... But I did win once, and it was when I had a community of Kate to keep me writing my 1667 words a day.

And the story was awful, it involved Longinus (The soldier who stabbed Jesus with a spear during the Crucifixion) fighting a bunch of German vampires and then Hitler. But it got written, and the characters are still in my head for future stories.

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me.
Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: God'); DROP TABLE Students;--

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Sheepman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Gash wrote:
Sheepman wrote:And the story was awful, it involved Longinus (The soldier who stabbed Jesus with a spear during the Crucifixion) fighting a bunch of German vampires and then Hitler.

You call this an awful story? This is sounds amazing.

Yeah, but it only -sounds- amazing... It would've been a lot better if I hadn't started to get impatient by the time I got to Hitler.

Maybe I'll post some when I get home.

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 pm

This year will be attempt number 3 for me. I've always given up at about 6k words. So I'm hoping that, with TCS help, I'll make it to 10k before it all falls to pieces.

Whoo.

WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby JamesT » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 pm

You know, I'm swamped as all get out and I probably won't succeed but to heck with it, I'm going to try. I may even get some work done on the space opera that's been rolling around in my head.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby WaitYAmIHere » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:20 pm

A space opera? Nice. I can't wait to see it. I think I'm gonna try fantasy this year. Mainly because I don't have to look up any kind of science. I can just say "A Wizard Did It" and be done. Thought I suppose you could say "A Jedi Did It" but you'd probably run into legal rather quickly.

WaitYAmIHere
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Kate » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:22 pm

Sheepman wrote:
Gash wrote:
Sheepman wrote:And the story was awful, it involved Longinus (The soldier who stabbed Jesus with a spear during the Crucifixion) fighting a bunch of German vampires and then Hitler.

You call this an awful story? This is sounds amazing.

Yeah, but it only -sounds- amazing... It would've been a lot better if I hadn't started to get impatient by the time I got to Hitler.

Maybe I'll post some when I get home.

He's lying, guys, it was freaking FANTASTIC. I really want him to brush it up and start writing more because it was a brilliant story.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Overlord Moo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:09 pm

50,000 words? In one month?

*Throws back a shot of vodka*

I'll fucking do it, darling!

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby sunglasses » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm

50K words?

I'm gonna regret this. Horribly.

But I'll do it.

It might just be a bunch of stories threaded together but...

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Sheepman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 pm

sunglasses wrote:It might just be a bunch of stories threaded together but...

I've considered doing that before too. One of my more successful ideas was more or less split between two related stories. And "Blake Steele vs. The Third Reich" was split up into two parts.

Speaking of which, here's the first 774 words of my NaNoWriMo 2008 winning story:
Blake Steele vs. The Third Reich

EDIT: And here's my NaNoWriMo profile if anyone wants to add me as a writing buddy:
I.Am/Sheepman's NaNoWriMo Profile

Last edited by Sheepman on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Overlord Moo wrote:*Throws back a shot of vodka*

I'll fucking do it, darling!

Oh man, I got that reference, it struck me hard.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Well, I was planning to either do the first half of my second novel, or a horror novella I've been intending to write for ages. But thanks to Orange, it's gonna be Volcano God Panther Orgy.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Next