Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby cmsellers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 am

I'm using a pulse oximeter for the first time in months.
First time I put it on, I freaked out that the bottom number was in the low eighties and dropping.

Then I realized the bottom number was my pulse.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:21 pm

I just got a rejection for a job I applied to over a year and a half ago.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm

cmsellers wrote:I just got a rejection for a job I applied to over a year and a half ago.

Well. It's about time that they told you if you got the big job or not!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 pm

Perhaps they fired you for not showing up? My interview for the job I have now asked if I could start that following Monday, and I said yes, and then I didn't hear back from them. It was Super Bowl Sunday, and in England that means going to bed around 3-4am if you watch to the end, so in the end I emailed them saying that I hadn't heard back, and if I was hired, I would be taking Monday off. I was hired, but luckily they were very understanding.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 am

So the local schools are "back in session" but in a halfway way of doing things. They're having kids go every other day and the non attending days are done virtually. To be clear this is up to the parents to send their kids or not, we haven't, and this whole plan just started this week. Tuesday because of the prior day being a holiday in which we show reverence to our past heads of state by acquiring appliances at discounted rates.

tl;dr: Kids in my area go to school every other day as of yesterday.

Just got a phone call. And a text. And an email. School is going to be all virtual due to an impending snowstorm. Mother Nature just said "I gotcher A/B schedule right here" lmao.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:11 pm

It started snowing (yet again) around 11 AM today, and stopped some time before I got out of work. That wasn't terrible, but clearing the snow from behind my car, watching other people leave/hoping they didn't hit me, and finally getting on the road were nerve-wracking. The roads themselves weren't bad, both in terms of traffic and snow.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 am

This morning, I watched a hawk outside my window, in the beautiful live oak trees. I've lost count of how many hawks I've seen here, but the hawks and the landscaping—especially the live oaks—are some of the only things I'll miss about this apartment complex, relative to my new house, which is looking like it's going to work out but I'm not gonna get too excited until I've closed and moved my ass in there.

While a couple of houses I looked at had some fantastic live oaks of their own (one had three), none of those ended up working out. Hopefully I'll get birds at my house, but I'm guessing I probably won't get hawks, which admittedly is probably a good thing when it comes to seeing the smaller birds. Still, there's just something about hawks.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:49 am

How unreliable my internet has gotten with ATT is absolutely not a minor annoyance, but as a result of not having reliable internet anymore, plus house-related stuff, plus the internet issue itself, I've been making a lot of phone calls from my actual phone, which is weird.

Anyways the minor annoyance is that my newish baby parrot (got her in August) is not only fascinated with the phone, but obsessed with the big red button on the screen. She's hung up two calls on me today alone. She's too cute to be mad at, though.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:56 pm

I finished doing my taxes today. I thought I'd get a refund, but instead I owe a little bit (~$50 total).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:51 am

So, did the final walkthrough of the house I'm buying today. I noticed several things I hadn't noticed before; a mix of positive and negative. And then there's the palm tree.

See, I learned today that the property has a palm tree ... or rather had. It appears to have died in the cold snap. That's the thing about palm trees in subtropical climates: they need to be protected in extreme cold or they die.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I low-key hate palm trees; they're my second least-favorite landscaping element after grass, and this lets me put in a real tree. But first, I have to deal with a dead palm tree.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:11 am

I lost one of my credit cards a few weeks ago, so I deactivated it but didn't request a new one right away in case it turned up. Today I finally gave up hope and requested a new one. I fully expect I'll find it tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Nope, it took about a day and a half to find.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:36 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I lost one of my credit cards a few weeks ago, so I deactivated it but didn't request a new one right away in case it turned up. Today I finally gave up hope and requested a new one. I fully expect I'll find it tomorrow morning.

Ain't that always how it goes? I finally gave up on finding my Prius fob before the move and paid an automotive locksmith to make a new one.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Had to get a new laptop. One day the old one showed it was at 80% while plugged in. BIOS said the charging cord wasn't recognized. Okay. Replaced it. Same issue. Uh oh. Battery was getting low and that computer has always had an issue with suddenly fainting when not plugged in because it was poorly built. New battery didn't help. I believe the issue is with the power supply itself. Thankfully was able to do backups on A/C power with an "unsupported" yet OEM cord.

Ended up getting a gaming laptop because it works best for us. I like to play games but don't want to tie up the TV. I like the Switch but it doesn't have everything I want to play. Consoles suck anyway because one day you won't be able to redownload your game if something happens. Buh bye PS3 store features. Only spent $1000 which is only a couple hundred more than a well made non-gaming laptop with a good screen and features.

Specs: Intel Core i-5 CPU(10300), 16 GB RAM, 1TB WD Blue SSD, RTX2060 GPU, 15.6 inch 120hz IPS screen, Killer WiFi6/BT5. Came with a free copy of Outriders which releases in a couple days but I'm digging the demo atm. Also came with a free mouse, mousepad, and $50 AmEx gift card.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:24 pm

I just spent $6.66 on Easter candy. This amuses me more than it should.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Facebook showed me a sponsored post earlier, inviting me to buy a Macbook from Stormfront. That's right, Stormfront. As it turns out, it's a different one, and there is also a laptop retailer called Stormfront which is presumably unrelated to the notorious neo-Nazi forum.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext