Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Your temp gauge reads extreme as in high temp? Could be a busted thermostat. Definitely check your coolant level and color. Also check your oil. Just make sure it's at the line like it's supposed to be. Years ago I got an oil change done on a vehicle I owned and they broke something and lied to me about it, long story short the oil had drained out of my engine and I was running it on zero oil. Thankfully my engine didn't suffer catastrophic failure, hopefully yours will be okay too.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:35 pm

iMURDAu wrote:Your temp gauge reads extreme as in high temp? Could be a busted thermostat. Definitely check your coolant level and color. Also check your oil. Just make sure it's at the line like it's supposed to be. Years ago I got an oil change done on a vehicle I owned and they broke something and lied to me about it, long story short the oil had drained out of my engine and I was running it on zero oil. Thankfully my engine didn't suffer catastrophic failure, hopefully yours will be okay too.

...No, it never says anything extreme; that's why I found it strange that the check engine light went on and off. And I checked the oil and coolant yesterday, and they're both fine. The light hasn't come back on since the other day, so *shrug*.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:27 am

So, over the past few years, it's seemed like every year I realize something worse about my mother: she's controlling, she has narcissistic tendencies, she's emotionally abusive. But this year takes the cake, I realized the worst thing about my mother to date:
Spoiler: show
My mother is a Karen.
Somehow, the amount of time she spends speaking (or writing letters to) management never clued me in until just now.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:05 am

Tonight I watched several episodes of Psych with my brother and realized that I am the guy who says trivia about the show and points out continuity errors throughout the episode. I don't know how I feel about that.

Also we watched Rango, which is weirder than I remember, although the animation was really well done.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:02 pm

JamishT wrote:Tonight I watched several episodes of Psych with my brother and realized that I am the guy who says trivia about the show and points out continuity errors throughout the episode. I don't know how I feel about that.

I've noticed that that show either made sense or was really funny, but rarely both. I thought the one where Gus's boss was murdered was hilarious, but it makes less sense every time I see it.

Spoiler: show
To name a few, Creech did nothing with the note for the whole rest of the day until just before he was stabbed? Shawn, Gus, and Henry waited until the next morning to look at the crime scene? The shredded papers lined up like that in the garbage bag at the end?

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 am

So, fun fact: if, in incognito mode, you listen to half a dozen covers of the Soviet national anthem and then seek out a punk rock cover of "The Star Spangled Banner" YouTube will recommend a whole bunch of right-wing videos.

I can't imagine why.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:10 am

I haven't really been giving to charity because I don't yet feel financial secure.

However, on a whim, I just give Wikipedia twelve bucks in response to one of their popups. I figure, as awful as the culture of the editors is, the information is useful, and I spend that much a year on each of the domain names I'm sitting on in case I ever make that website. Also, I kind of want to see if their cookies will remember me and they'll stop pestering me or not. Might also give twelve bucks to the Internet Archive and The Guardian.

I do have to say, however that I'm not sure having a checkbox to add an additional donation to cover their transaction costs is a wise move on their part, even if it's not checked by default. I've never seen any other website do that, except some particularly difficult ebay sellers, and it comes across as ... kind of whiny? Like, twelve dollars is what I decided I'm willing to give you, not what I decided you need. You've managed to survive for over a decade; I'm not convinced you need anything from me.

Also, they claimed their processing fees will be 4% of my donation, which seems simultaneously petty and implausibly high.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:35 pm

My aunt's CD player doesn't work anymore, and she has around 300 CDs. So for Christmas, we got her an MP3 player, and I was tasked with ripping all the CDs so they could be put on it. The player just came a few days ago (shut up, calendar), and it somehow takes up two different drives, despite being plugged into only one USB port.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:04 pm

cmsellers wrote:Also, they claimed their processing fees will be 4% of my donation, which seems simultaneously petty and implausibly high.

That's pretty good. VISA typically charges 10% per transaction to producers/companies plus a flat rate per month to use their payment processing services.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:30 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:
cmsellers wrote:Also, they claimed their processing fees will be 4% of my donation, which seems simultaneously petty and implausibly high.

That's pretty good. VISA typically charges 10% per transaction to producers/companies plus a flat rate per month to use their payment processing services.

10% per transaction?

I'm seeing ranges of 1.3% - 2.4%

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:21 am

So, in house-hunting I've learned a lot about what certain phrases mean.

"great location" = garbage house
"do not disturb the tenants" = garbage house
"move-in ready" = garbage house an investor did a bunch of cosmetic work on
"investor special" = complete teardown
"roof in good mid-life condition" = roof is leaking and needs to be repaired immediately
"new foundation" = foundation was partially repaired ten years ago on a non-transferable warranty
"bonus room" = we converted the garage; have fun frying in the seven months of Texas summer!
"custom finishes throughout" = the house flooded in Harvey and we had to remodel it top-to-bottom
"all new carpets" = an investor bought this and is trying to flip it on the cheap
"new flooring throughout" = new carpets
"won't last long at this price" = will be on the market for the next year because it's $20k overpriced and the seller won't budge

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:15 pm

I have a psychotic neighbour. It's a thing.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Windy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm

I haven't been giving to charity because I don't feel financially secure, I have 3 children and 10 dogs to feed, I feed my kids and my dogs ramen every day because it's all I can afford, I'm 3 months behind on rent, and I need to fund my expensive candle hobby.

However, on a whim, I just gave Wikipedia my entire $600 stimulus check in response to one of their popups, because I realized that corporate tech billionaires need that money more than charities, and it's the least I can do for helping me look up all of the actors in the latest star wars movie who make more money in a single day than I will in a hundred lifetimes so I can worship the ground they walk on, unlike starving homeless people who have never done anything for me. Man it's not fair how these rich people exploit us to make so much money, they should be donating all of it to charity.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:30 am

I tried to make pan-fried chicken earlier today, but it was pretty bland (except I used too much cumin). I have to try adjusting the spices.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:09 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I used too much cumin

I understand all the individual words, but I find this clause you've made out of them incomprehensible.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext