Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Superman 64 is that game.

House rules are a must for board games. Otherwise you got people claiming they get paid for landing on free parking in Monopoly and going an extra space in Sorry because the arrow at the end of the slide obviously means continue your momentum into the next space. But not the next one after that, don't be silly.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:34 am

Are you comparing me to Mitch McConnell, Krashila? I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted. So "thank/fuck you" as appropriate.

MURDA, what you're talking about is people making up house rules. You're complaining about people making up rules that aren't in the game.

My family and I mostly played boardgames which are considerably more complex and less-extensively-tested than Monopoly, which means a lot of rules can combine in ways the designers possibly never intended. I like finding those combinations and loopholes, but I follow the written rules to the letter.

House rules are fine if they're agreed on in advance, but my experience with board games is basically make relatives making up house rules on the fly because they feel my interpretation violates the "spirit of the game." And that sounds like exactly the sort of thing you're complaining about.

Also, any misery you get from playing Monopoly is entirely your fault for playing a boardgame which was intentionally designed to suck to play.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Krashlia » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:33 am

... Did I ever tell you guys that I wanted to play a game of monopoly with a house rule of being able to use other players debt as money?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Is it wrong to use other people's sexual favours as money?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure recieving a full on blowjob is against the spirit of the game...

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Krashlia wrote:I'm pretty sure recieving a full on blowjob is against the spirit of the game...

I mean, Monopoly was developed as a critique of capitalism, and capitalism makes whores of us all...

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:09 pm

We were thisclose to getting the boy either the Mario or Fortnite version of Monopoly but then we realized we'd have to play it too and instead he's getting Battleship and Trouble.

Also this is the first Xmas in years he's not getting any video games from us. That wasn't intentional either. It's just that he asked for Lego sets and action figures from games like Roblox and Fortnite.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:58 am

My YouTube recommendations currently include both atheistTube videos and gospel music.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:25 am

Mine include Weird Al and Sleater Kinney. I don't know if I want to jump off a bridge or buy a new duck.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:25 am

I'm watching a Canadian on YouTube give the weights of his snakes in grams and their lengths in feet.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:40 pm

Considering that their home is Australia, how could we not look upon the residents there and feel pity?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:55 am

Self-restraint.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby Krashlia » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:45 pm

Dude, what could've happened if Thanos had gotten ahold of the Shikon Jewel?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 am

It turns out that my cell phone battery wasn’t hopelessly dead; the charger port was just clogged with lint, despite repeated attempts to clean it. So that was good.

Right now, I’m at my dad’s house listening to an obnoxious quiz show of some kind (after too many episodes of a show from the 70s that had a really loud and repetitive theme song) with my sister; her husband, their dog, and their infant offspring; and my brother in sensory hell.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:11 pm

My YouTube recommendations are suddenly filled with irrelevant videos. These include "Say Yes to the Dress," "Girl Chat Vault," and a bunch of hair-and-makeup videos. And, I think I know what's going on.

I've struggled with my gender identity all my life, since well before I came out as nonbinary. As such, pretty much as long as I've been using the internet, if I don't have to specify gender and I didn't intend to use the site for dating purposes, I always left the gender field blank, and this includes my main Google account.

As such, Google has been trying to determine my gender from my online behavior for years. And, apparently, my YouTube viewing habits must recently have tipped "female" enough that Google decided I'm probably a woman and started recommending random "girly" stuff to me.

On one hand, I'm always pleased when people (or AIs, I guess) can't tell my gender or assume I'm female. On the other hand, really YouTube? Really? Watching videos about birds and cooking means I must be into gossip, weddings, and hair care videos?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext