The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby cmsellers » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:59 am

I went back to New England, but had to be back in Texas for 7 PM today. My options were early morning flight and short layover, or late morning flight and long layover. Well, of course I opted for the early morning flight, figuring I would take a nap when I got home.

Alas I missed my flight (well the doors closing) by literally fifteen seconds, meaning I wait three hours after getting up at 3 AM, and get the long layover to boot. The frustrating thing is that I left with a view to getting to the airport an hour and fifteen minutes before my flight, it took a perfect storm of everything going wrong for me to miss my flight.

First, my father needs to stop for gas, but the pumps at the gas station on the way are down. My father goes out of the way to a gas station five minutes off the route, and waits five minutes at a traffic light before realizing it's broken and making a double right to get around it. Then, at four-thirty in the morning, there is a patch of standstill traffic on the highway, which adds another ten minutes.

I then get into the airport, and find that the line is three times longer than I'm used to. Apparently this is normal for Hartford now, but it's a new normal I wasn't prepared for. When I finally get to the baggage scanner, two of the three people immediately in front of me have not taken out electronics or liquids, so the TSA gets bins and the customers in front of me open their luggage and search for the stuff. The second guy is especially slow, and I hear my name called while he's searching for the liquids he knew to bag but not to put in an accessible place.

The TSA always pats me down after the scanners, so I'm in the habit of opting out of the scanners entirely, but that cost up to five minutes, so I submit to the scanning and additional patdown. Then, my luggage is selected for a manual inspection, which lately also seems to happen every time. While the world's slowest TSA agent, paws through my stuff, I hear my name called with what sounded like a ten minute warning and breathe a sigh of relief, but it must have been a two minute warning. TSA clown cannot figure out how my luggage all fits together again, and is shoving stuff desultorily like a spoiled teenager asked to wash the dishes, so I offer to shove a bunch of stuff into my laptop bag and carry my sweatshirt.

I then sprint until I'm out of breath, then powerwalk. One gate down, they announce a thirty second warning, so I sprint again, waving at the gatekeeper. I get there, and she tells me it's closed. Which makes me wonder: if you can't make the gate sprinting from one gate down, what is even the point of the thirty second warning?

Any rate, should get back to Texas, if all goes well from here, just in time to shower and change and go to the thing I really need to be at.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:13 pm

tl;dr omg wtf? fml!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:09 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:tl;dr omg wtf? fml!

*swats Nathan with a rolled up newspaper*

No! Bad Nathan. Bad!

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Tesseracts » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:58 pm

My left earlobe has cellulitis. I went to the emergency room at the ear hospital and they put me on antibiotics and told me to come back if it doesn't get better. Well not only has it not gotten better but I'm probably allergic to the antibiotics. I've had a headache and red face ever since I started taking them. So now I'm going back to the emergency room. This probably happened after I tried to stretch my lobe piercing. Now I keep thinking they're going to cut off my earlobe, which is probably a ridiculous thing to think but there's a good chance I'll need some kind of unpleasant procedure like surgery or antibiotics by IV.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Twistappel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 am

That sucks. Can kind of relate to the sickness-adjacent anxiety. It really doesn't help on top of the actual being sick.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:58 pm

This is the second time in a year where I've gotten into a car that someone else parked, and where getting out required backing out and turning at the same time, that I have backed into a parked car. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I didn't park the car myself, or if I'm unable to back out and turn at the same time, but apparently, even with mirrors and backup cameras, I am really bad at driving backwards in parking lots.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:38 am

I accidentally cut my pinky yesterday with a sharp knife because I was holding the thing I wanted to cut in one of the stupidest ways possible. Then I learned I was almost out of Band Aids.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 am

I had a birthday on Friday.

I didn't do anything for it. I worked.

I don't plan on doing anything for it. I don't plan on celebrating. I'm 39 now. Birthdays also tend to be bad luck for me. I'd rather just let the whole thing pass without much notice.

On Facebook, I turned off the notification years ago, but a few family members still care about me enough to remember and wish me well and hope I had a good day. I don't have the heart to just tell them I'm not going to do anything. I'll lie to them and act like I'm going to have some kind of good time, when in reality, I'm working until Thursday, I'm dealing with an ear-ache, and I'm not even getting so much as cake or ice cream. I'm not taking myself anywhere, I'm not shopping, I'm not going to spoil myself.

It's just going to be a regular day from now on, except my age counter gets incremented by 1.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:21 am

{{{Malfeasinator}}} I'm gonna wish you anyway! See if you can stop me from adding a yearly notification pin to 6th September!

Spoiler: show

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Windy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm

I sure wish I could forget my birthday, my age, and my existence.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Windy wrote:I sure wish I could forget my birthday, my age, and my existence.

Well I will never forget you!! >:| {{{Windy}}}}

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:10 am

Windy wrote:I sure wish I could forget my birthday, my age, and my existence.

Just going to put this here:

1-800-273-8255

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Also: have you tried hookers and cocaine?

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueOffMyChest ... e_hookers/

https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/com ... juana_but/

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Hey! I have a friend going to rehab for suicide prevention! I'll recommend the hookers and cocaine to him next time he's feeling down.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:11 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Hey! I have a friend going to rehab for suicide prevention! I'll recommend the hookers and cocaine to him next time he's feeling down.

If his facility is anything like the one I was in, he's going to hear stories from the people on detox that will not make drugs sound like a great idea.

The hookers are probably fine, though.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Oh he's already done detox. He's just going back in to learn how to get along without illegal drugs.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext