Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Looks good. You seem to have everything generated correctly - and in any case the software is pretty good won't let you make invalid choices without some effort.

Your choices for spells look good to me - Eldritch Blast is of course the warlock staple, and Chill Touch is a fantastic one because sooner or later your DM will throw monsters that regenerate HP at you, and it's fabulous to be able to just say "nah" to that (though the effect also applies to enemies using healing spells or potions, don't forget that). Charm Person is very on theme for a Feylock. Witch Bolt is one that a lot of people don't like, but it's pretty decent if it works, in my opinion.

The divisive issue with that spell is that you have to make an attack to hit with it. Attack roll-based spells do nothing at all on a miss, whereas most saving throw-based damaging spells do half damage even if the target succeeds the saving throw. That's ok if it's a cantrip that you can cast again the next round but for a spell of 1st level or higher, which takes a spell slot, some people don't like that it may have no effect at all. For a warlock, you have very few spell slots compared to say, a wizard, so you may feel that you've wasted a big chunk of your resources. Or you might feel it's good enough on a hit to be worth the times it misses. Entirely up to you.

I like your story, I like your pact origin which is important for a warlock - a good DM may well try to tie it in at some point if the campaign continues long enough.

My advice would be, look through all the Eldritch Invocations (in the player's handbook, and in Xanathar's Guide to Everything if you have access to it) and come up with an idea what sort of part you want your warlock to play in the team. They're a very versatile class because of these mix-and-match options. You can build them for max damage output and that's fun (I had a warlock I loved to play, who was very carefully optimised to Hex anything that moves and Blast it until it stops.) You can also build them for more of a support or utility role, or for all kinds of things, once you get to a high enough level to have several Invocations.

Also remind your party members that short rests are a thing, or else you'll always be out of spell slots.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Twistappel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback/advice. I feel slightly less like I'm going to throw up now.

Will look into acquiring a copy of Xanathar's Guide at some point. I honestly just used the "Quick Build" spells for Warlocks in the PHB.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby SandTea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 pm

CarrieVS wrote:Also remind your party members DM that short rests are a thing, or else you'll always be out of spell slots.

Just say "Can we count this as a short rest?" like all the time :twisted: .

I've gotten into wtching this crit role show and do recommend everybody give it a shot. it is a good time waster.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm

SandTea wrote:
CarrieVS wrote:Also remind your party members DM that short rests are a thing, or else you'll always be out of spell slots.

Just say "Can we count this as a short rest?" like all the time :twisted: .

I've gotten into watching this crit role show and do recommend everybody give it a shot. it is a good time waster.

If you have classes in the party that don't benefit much from a short rest, they're just gonna want to press on and on until you're all so exhausted you have to have a long rest. You can remind the DM that long rests are supposed to be limited to one per 24 hours but that might not make you popular with the Paladins.

I spent almost a year catching up on Critical Role - both campaigns. I love it - and I think my DM takes inspiration from Matt Mercer. Are you watching campaign 1 or 2? Do you have a favourite character? (Also the campaign 2 theme song/intro animation is just awesome. But... I don't know how to feel that they're still playing "..falchions and cunning..." after... well I don't want to spoil.)

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 pm

I am literally listening to Critical Role (Campaign 1, Ep.15) right now.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby SandTea » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Hehe... I am up to date on campaign 2. Haven't even started one yet, although i will at some point. I agree with your falcion problem in the intro and literally just yesterday thought about editing it out of the video lol. But that 'scene' was cool as hell and Nott making fun of him the next ep was hilarious.

As for fav chars, I love the guests Twiggy and Shakasta but for regulars I'd have to say Nott even though they're all great. I do love Jesters shenanigans and dick jokes (ball peen hammer lol).

Damn now I think a crit role discussion thread would be awesome.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:34 pm

We have a D&D thread somewhere but you can always make a CR one.

It's hard to choose a favourite but if pressed for it, Caleb is my guy in campaign 2. Percy in campaign 1.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Someone left a business card in our front door and in the doors of our neighbors.

I wanted to frame it but we threw it out.

It featured:

"too" instead of "to"

incorrect Capitalization

And "specialization" was spelled "speacilization"

:lol:

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm

There's an estate agent (I think they have a different name in America, but they sell houses) near my work that is responsible for selling nearly all the houses within a radius of a couple of miles. But I really don't want to buy a house from them, if I do eventually buy a house there, because they appear to be criminally illiterate. Not only do they have a sign asking a giant question with no question mark (one of my most despised pet peeves) but they also had a sign in their window once for a house which boasted all modern facilities. Except, instead of "facilities", it actually boasted all modern farcicalities. Yes, "farcicalities". That's actually a more difficult word to spell, so I suspect they just got "facilities" so wrong that the spellchecker asked if they meant farcicalities. Which leads to the terrifying follow-on question: how the hell did they initially spell facilities?

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Today was the last day for the machine operator that started at my work back in June, and she took the morning shift. Now there will be one fewer normal compatibly weird person here to confide in.

Naturally, the line leads were happy that she left, because she had been doing a split shift for the past two weeks, which kind of messed up production (slightly) when she left early (and instead of telling her this, they decided to... not do that).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:00 am

I was reminded of just where I grew up by a classmate who never moved away and posted about her son's soccer team fundraiser:

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 am

I went through a light I'm not used to in the dark and mistimed it, running a yellow so late it turned red while I was in the box. Then, as it turned red, I noticed there was a cop car, first in line, in the opposite direction. Fortunately, for whatever reason, the police officer apparently did not decide to pursue me.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Have you heard of what3words?

It's an app that assigns every 3m square of the world an address consisting of three random words. If you have a device with GPS you can get your current location's address, and if you know a three word address you can see the exact location on a map.

I can think of all sorts of uses for this, like finding a friend in a large or crowded place, or making a note of where you parked your car. It's being used to address post and mark points of interest. But it's also being used by emergency services, for things like locating injured or lost people who got into difficulty in the outdoors and can't give a precise conventional address (and apparently on one occasion locating and rescuing a hostage).

Emergency services can send you a web link to get your three word address, but if you downloaded the app ahead of time it doesn't even need phone signal to work (does need a phone and battery of course) so someone can get a precise location and then go for help.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 am

According to that, I was born at "active boggles someday" which is strange because Boggle is my dad's favorite game. The barn is at "uniformity intelligible coached" which sounds like slightly trained cows to me, but my high school contains "unzips provocative pulsing" which...uh...hmm.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 am

So, I was driving to the pharmacist today, and because they're close I chanced it during rush hour. Not too bad, although it meant the school zone between home and there was active. So, I was driving slow, because active school zone, and another car comes up behind me. It's a two-lane street, but there was a bus (city bus, not schoolbus) in the other lane, so they couldn't pass me. Since I was already overtaking the bus and and I knew there was a stop right where the school zone ended, trapping the poor bastard behind me for all two hundred yards or whatever of the school zone.

The driver behind me reacted by tailgating, which considering I was only going 20 MPH, didn't worry me too much. Then as soon as the bus pulled over at its stop, they immediately pulled into the other lane, except we were coming up to a red light and there was one car already stopped at the light in the other lane. So it seemed kind of pointless to me, but I figured "yeah, I do that too with slow drivers, though, y'know, I was only driving slowly because first there was a school zone and then a red light, but you don't know that."

Red light turned green and almost immediately after I pulled through the intersection, a cop car put its lights on. So I start to pull over, until I see that the cop has pulled over the car that was behind me. Initially I felt bad, because I figured that by trapping the car momentarily at school zone speeds in the school zone, I might have driven the driver to do something stupid, then I remembered that this was the dumbass who tailgated me through the school zone, so I'm sure whatever they did, they brought it on themself.

Which brings me to what's been puzzling me since, is: as the second car at a light, how on earth did that driver get a cop to pull them over pretty much the moment the light turned green?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

PreviousNext