Things that are things.

Discussion, in general

Re: Things that are things.

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 pm

At about 6:00 this morning, I apparently saved a note on my phone that says “twigs / more break material,” and I have no idea what it means.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:43 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:At about 6:00 this morning, I apparently saved a note on my phone that says “twigs / more break material,” and I have no idea what it means.

Did you fall asleep watching "Flaming Globes of Sigmund"?

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Krashlia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:56 am

Babel has fallen.
The "culture wars" seem to have come to Wikipedia.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Krashlia wrote:Babel has fallen.

Uh, we're going to need a citation for that.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:
Krashlia wrote:Babel has fallen.

Uh, we're going to need a citation for that.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jo ... ulture-war

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 pm

Bad wikipedia joke, sorry.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:Bad wikipedia joke, sorry.

...Wait how did i miss that?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:19 am

Today at work, I ran into a coworker from a previous job. We haven't seen each other in probably 4 years, so I totally forgot her name while we talked, but our conversation was fun. In response to "how have you been?" I mentioned that I've been at my job for way too long and am wanting out, ending with "is your place hiring?". I didn't know where she works now, and was half-joking, but it turns out that she's an assistant manager at a hotel, and knows of a position that I would be very interested in, if the pay is equal to or more than I currently make (I forgot to ask). It ended with me giving her my number and her promising to talk to the general manager, so here's to hoping.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Before I started doing keto, my sleep schedule was 3-11 AM, and if I could take a nap in the afternoon, I would. On keto, it shifted to about 1-8 AM (it was midnight-7 before DST) and I was pretty much physically incapable of taking naps. Then, I got attacked by fire ants, had to go on steroids and antibiotics, and pretty much since then, while I'm still roughly 1-8 AM, I've been constantly tired and needed to take naps, sleeping most days 10 hours a day.

The past two days, however, I have been physically unable to take naps. Yesterday I was wired because I think I blew the first job interview I've gotten, but also tired. I think I might feel less tired today, but I'm not sure. So fingers crossed, that I'm back to a healthy, normal person sleep schedule and the constant tiredness will be going away.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:12 am

10 hours of sleep?? Amateur.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:48 am

This quote from the Wikipedia article on the Boxer Rebellion reads like a joke.

Five national contingents advanced on the walls of Beijing on August 14: British, American, Japanese, Russian and French. Each had a gate in the Wall for its objective. The Japanese and Russians were delayed at their gates by Chinese resistance. The small French contingent got lost. The Americans scaled the walls rather than attempting to force their way through a fortified gate. However, it was the British who won the race to relieve the siege of the legations. They entered the city through an unguarded gate and proceeded with virtually no opposition.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:33 pm

The French getting lost sounds like fancy words for "surrendered".

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

I was reading a biography of Audrey Hepburn, translated from English. At one point, it quoted Gregory Peck calling her "as loveable as an overstrung tennis racket". That makes zero sense to me. Maybe it would work as an insult (because what is loveable about an overstrung tennis racket?) but it was meant as a compliment, the context was that Peck loved working with her. I thought maybe something was lost in translation, but I managed to find the quote in English, and it still makes no sense.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

My first impression, and googling seems to confirm this, is that overstringing a tennis racket is like overclocking a computer: it improves performance beyond what it's designed for, but risks damage. So I think the metaphor is similar to "the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long," only with the implication that this sort of intensity is endearing from Audrey Hepburn?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 pm

cmsellers wrote:This quote from the Wikipedia article on the Boxer Rebellion reads like a joke.

I've just done a search, and it would appear this fine establishment does not have its own thread for crazy Wikipedia articles, so I guess I will post the marathon at the 1904 Olympics here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics ... _Olympics_–_Men%27s_marathon

The first to arrive at the finish line was American runner Fred Lorz, who had actually dropped out of the race after nine miles and hitched a ride back to the stadium in a car, waving at spectators and runners alike during the ride. When the car broke down at the 19th mile, Lorz re-entered the race and jogged across the finish line.

British-born Thomas Hicks of the United States ended up the winner of the event, although he was aided by measures that would not have been permitted in later years. Ten miles from the finish Hicks led the race by a mile and a half, but he had to be restrained from stopping and lying down by his trainers. From then until the end of the race, Hicks received several doses of strychnine (a common rat poison, which stimulates the nervous system in small doses) mixed with brandy.[4] He continued to battle onwards, hallucinating, barely able to walk for most of the course. When he reached the stadium his support team carried him over the line, holding him in the air while he shuffled his feet as if still running. The judges decided this was acceptable, and gave him the gold medal.

A Cuban postman named Andarín Carvajal joined the marathon, arriving at the last minute.[7] After losing all of his money in New Orleans, Louisiana, he hitchhiked to St. Louis and had to run the event in street clothes that he cut around the legs to make them look like shorts. Not having eaten in 40 hours, he stopped off in an orchard en route to have a snack on some apples, which turned out to be rotten.[7] The rotten apples caused him to have strong stomach cramps and to have to lie down and take a nap. Despite falling ill from the apples and taking a nap, he finished in fourth place.

The marathon included the first two black Africans to compete in the Olympics: two Tswana tribesmen named Len Tau (real name: Len Taunyane) and Yamasani (real name: Jan Mashiani). Len Tau finished ninth and Yamasani came in twelfth. This was a disappointment, as many observers were sure Len Tau could have done better if he had not been chased nearly a mile off course by aggressive dogs.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

PreviousNext