Tucker Carlson think measuring in millimeters is tyranny.

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Re: Tucker Carlson think measuring in millimeters is tyranny

Postby JamishT » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:10 am

tinyrick wrote:
cmsellers wrote:I hate metric because I hate the base ten system.

But also because I find feet and inches more human-scale than meters, and out power-of-two-based volume measurements more useful for practical purposes than metric volume measurements other than liters. And I still find Fahrenheit degree measurements much more intuitive than Celsius ones.

I've lived in two countries which use the metric system, and I adapted to grams (well, really, I estimated things in 50-gram chunks), kilograms, and kilometers fine. I learned to use deciliters, centimeters, meters, and degrees Centigrade fine as well, I just hate them.

You are the very model of a modern Major-General.

I got that reference, what a deep cut!

This whole thing is silly. Tucker will say anything that will keep his viewers mad at whoever, because mad people will continue to listen to whoever convinced them to be mad at other people as long as that person can keep them mad. I'm a fan of the imperial system because I don't think measurement systems need to make sense, it's how it is and I like it how it is. I'm sure I could love the metric system if I were accustomed to it, but I'm not, so I don't like it.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby tinyrick » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:14 pm

I still have trouble thinking in terms of kilometers. If someone tells me something is 5 kilometers away, I still have to convert it into miles in my head to figure our how far it would take to drive there. I just don't think it's tyranny, and Tucker Carlson's headshake at KYE-lo-meters makes me shake my head.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:20 pm

You don't have to convert anything.

Make your phone do that shit.

Any ways I've got a crude joke about Mr. Carlson if anyone wants to hear it.

Spoiler: show
He should want to measure things in millimeters it'll make his manhood sound impressive as he's verbalizing double digits.

One assumes, idk how long triple digi oh damn I had google do the math and that's a better slam than I planned.

I don't think there's much reason to worry. I've been hearing about the metric system being forced on America since I was a wee babe *ahem* I mean a small child. Hasn't happened yet, we're pot committed to "imperial" or whatever we don't ever refer to it as.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:49 am

relevant Simpsons scene:

Anyway... I slightly prefer US Customary units, but that’s just because I grew up with them. I’m not morally opposed to metric the way some people I know are.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Fun With Mr. Fudge » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:36 am

tinyrick wrote:https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2019/06/05/tucker-carlson-almost-every-nation-earth-has-fallen-under-yoke-tyranny-metric-system/223874?fbclid=IwAR2eDd2mobe8VRcmeZtMLc8-TqOWoxoUoldvnpwgUdD7RhaOjzLY14WJtx4

Making every measurement simple by making it dividable by 10 is tyranny. My favorite part of the video is when he mispronounces kilograms as KYE-lo-grams and shakes his head like it's ridiculous. Americans also have a sort of metric system in place when it comes to our own currency. 100 cents=1 dollar. Simple. Maybe he prefers the 19th century British system of 12 pence to a shilling, 20 shillings to a pound, and every penny being worth 4 farthings. And every farthing was worth 18 terriwinkles. And every terriwinkle was 5 lillydops. and every lillydop was worth 30 bopbopalugaawabangbooms Tooty Fruity! Oh Rudy!

I'm fake-disappointed that he didn't tie it to immigration. He could have easily mentioned that cocaine is measured in kilos and then talked about drugs coming across the border. And to hammer home how much bloodthirsty outsiders want to hammer your home and burn it to the ground with you in it, he could have called kilograms "killergrams." "KYE-lo-grams" just makes me picture Kylo Ren, making the metric system sound awesome because Adam Driver has a great voice. Also, all that talk about the French Revolution was snooze-inducing. Guillotine? How about guilty immigrants?

Anyway, I've had to use the metric system for extended periods before. Like anything else that doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger ... or horribly debilitates you. But mostly you just get used to it because it's just numbers and words. Besides, even the U.S. isn't totally metric-free. Don't rulers still show centimeters and inches? And when you get weighed at a doctor's office, doesn't the scale have the option to measure you in killergrams?

Fun With Mr. Fudge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Jackbooted Hug

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:42 am

*Looks up and sees this absurd rant is by the same guy who literally aired a segment about how immigrants make our country dirty*
*Returns to going about his day*

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:Besides, even the U.S. isn't totally metric-free. Don't rulers still show centimeters and inches? And when you get weighed at a doctor's office, doesn't the scale have the option to measure you in killergrams?

The scale at my doctor's office shows kilograms. Then they do a "conversion" and tell me my "weight". :?

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:37 am

iMURDAu wrote:
Fun With Mr. Fudge wrote:Besides, even the U.S. isn't totally metric-free. Don't rulers still show centimeters and inches? And when you get weighed at a doctor's office, doesn't the scale have the option to measure you in killergrams?

The scale at my doctor's office shows kilograms. Then they do a "conversion" and tell me my "weight". :?

Ahem.

Kilograms are a measure of mass (the amount of matter in an object) and not weight (the force of gravity acting on an object). So, technically, if you want to say how much something "weighs" based on a measurement in kilograms, a conversion is necessary to pounds or newtons or some other measure of force.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 pm

I never got around to changing the weather settings on my phone back to Farenheit, the last time I came back from Australia. Now that I know it's oppressing Tucker Carlson, I am never changing it back, ever. Because I actually am that petty.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby tinyrick » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Absentia wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:

Ahem.

Kilograms are a measure of mass (the amount of matter in an object) and not weight (the force of gravity acting on an object). So, technically, if you want to say how much something "weighs" based on a measurement in kilograms, a conversion is necessary to pounds or newtons or some other measure of force.

The ironic thing is, if we ever colonize other worlds, like Mars, the Metric system will no longer be all that metric. 1 ml of water equals 1 gram of mass, but that's entirely dependent on Earth's gravity. Using the same scale on both Earth and Mars, 1 ml of water is not going to be "1 gram of mass" on Mars cause the scale is actually measuring weight and converting it to mass. Scales would have to be calibrated to Mars gravity, which probably wouldn't be that much of a hassle come to think of it. You only have to account for one parameter, which is gravity.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 pm

You know what's tyranny???

Micro-liters.

Yeah.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:16 pm

tinyrick wrote:1 ml of water equals 1 gram of mass, but that's entirely dependent on Earth's gravity. Using the same scale on both Earth and Mars, 1 ml of water is not going to be "1 gram of mass" on Mars

The density relationship (mass/volume) is not dependent on gravity, but on temperature and pressure. Assuming your Martian colony is temperature controlled and pressurized so people can live there, pure water will have the same density as it does on Earth. Outside of the colony, under Martian surface conditions, it would just freeze.

tinyrick wrote:cause the scale is actually measuring weight and converting it to mass. Scales would have to be calibrated to Mars gravity,

Some scales directly measure weight and convert to mass, and others directly measure mass so that Murda's doctor has to convert them to weight.

Balance beam scales (like most doctors have) measure mass by using a fixed mass as a reference. The scale will always balance when the mass on both sides is equal, regardless of how strong the force of gravity is, as long as there's at least a little gravity or other force to facilitate the mechanical action of the scale.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:20 am

Absentia wrote:
Some scales directly measure weight and convert to mass, and others directly measure mass so that Murda's doctor has to convert them to weight.

Balance beam scales (like most doctors have) measure mass by using a fixed mass as a reference. The scale will always balance when the mass on both sides is equal, regardless of how strong the force of gravity is, as long as there's at least a little gravity or other force to facilitate the mechanical action of the scale.

Can't believe I didn't think of that. That's really old school tech too. It's the scales you see Lady Justice uses. Although I'm sure there are some high tech improvements on the same thing.

tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Previous