Mitch McConnell's Predictable Reversal

What's happening in your world? Discuss it here.
Forum rules
Play nice. We will be watching

Mitch McConnell's Predictable Reversal

Postby blehblah » Wed May 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Are you sitting down? You really should be sitting for this utterly shocking news.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/politics ... index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... m-n1011166

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 613dde71a8

Yes, folks - all the crystal ball readers were, shockingly, amazingly, fucking-stupendously, correct.

Medium story short, Mitch refused to consider Obama's nomination to the SSCOTUS (super-supreme!) of the USA because... erm... reasons.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05 ... court-2020

On a personal note, to my American friends - Trump ain't yer problem. He's an idiot-in-chief who is useful to various groups. Mitch is... well... doing his thing, which should not be surprising to anyone who knows who butters his bread.

This is your America, folks. It's up to you to fix it.

A quantum state of signature may or may not be here... you just ruined it.
blehblah
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Error General, Panic Colonel

Re: Mitch McConnell's Predictable Reversal

Postby Absentia » Wed May 29, 2019 2:37 pm

I don't think anyone was naive enough to believe that Mitch's real reason for blocking Garland was anything other than "Because I can, suckas!"

And this is why we have Dem presidential candidates talking about packing the Supreme Court: the rulebook has been shredded and now it's scorched earth political warfare. That's McConnell's legacy.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed May 29, 2019 4:06 pm

McConnell already said this awhile ago, I'm not sure why it's suddenly news now. When I saw the headline, I nearly had a heart attack, thinking Ginsberg or Breyer had a heart attack.

The problem with packing SCOTUS, and the reason Yertle can get away with this shit, is that the GOP has an inherent advantage in the Senate, and it's going to get worse as Texas, Arizona, Georgia, and North Carolina get bluer, while various small states the Democrats could sometimes compete in, from West Virginia to Iowa, grow ever redder. So, in the future, expect GOP presidents to usually have GOP Senates, but Democratic presidents to also usually have GOP Senates.

What the Democrats should do is "pack" the Senate, by admitting PR and DC (SCOTUS might block DC though), and breaking up large blue states. California is unwieldy anyways, and NY was always a weird beast, both states have better arguments for division than was the case for having two Dakotas.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Crimson847 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 pm

Absentia wrote:I don't think anyone was naive to enough to believe that Mitch's real reason for blocking Garland was anything other than "Because I can, suckas!"

A lot of Republicans were. You'd be surprised how naive even experienced political observers can be about their own tribe. See also: the "scandal-free" Obama presidency.

Even now, I'll bet you my last dollar there will be people defending his consistency on this who sincerely believe the bullshit that comes out of their mouths ("A GOP Congress and Democratic President indicates that the people are conflicted and divided, whereas since we have both the Senate and the WH that indicates that the people are really united behind us"). And they'll keep doing it, because who has the standing to call them out?

"If it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them; but the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crimson847
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Fri May 31, 2019 11:59 am

Yeah, for all the talk about Trump, McConnell is probably more dangerous to our democracy than Trump is. Trump's too dumb and ham-fisted to circumvent our democratic processes; McConnell, not so much. I always think of that quote from Varys about Littlefinger: "He would see this country burn if he could be king of the ashes".

Man, if I could be king for a day, I'd mandate all court and federal judges to a limit of ten years, so this kind of shit would stop.

The good news is, for as much as Republicans think the court is immutable, it's really not. The Republicans neutered it during Andrew Johnson's presidency because its members were very sympathetic to former slaveowners, and though FDR failed in his court-packing scheme, SCOTUS did tuck their tails between their legs, accept the New Deal, and then their members gradually retired in shame over the course of his presidency. Even now, John Roberts has been noticeably recalcitrant to take on controversial cases in this highly partisan era. I don't worry about the courts so much because every time they start to get wildly out of step with the American people, something usually happens to knock them back in line.

Crimson847 wrote:
Absentia wrote:I don't think anyone was naive to enough to believe that Mitch's real reason for blocking Garland was anything other than "Because I can, suckas!"

A lot of Republicans were. You'd be surprised how naive even experienced political observers can be about their own tribe. See also: the "scandal-free" Obama presidency.

I don't know that I really believe that Republicans believed that shit. I think it's more about not giving the game away.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri May 31, 2019 12:40 pm

"Obama was on his way out. Trump is going to get reelected, so of course he should get to name a new Justice!"

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Fri May 31, 2019 9:38 pm

cmsellers wrote:(SCOTUS might block DC though)

It's a long held belief by many in D.C. and surrounding areas that if the majority of voters were Republican that statehood would be a pressing issue.

Someone said the following around 3 years ago:

Its one thing to be opposed to political rivals. Its another to shit on the country and wipe your ass with the constitution. Can you imagine the shitstorm if the Dems did this to them? This is what people talk about when they say they want to fix what's wrong with D.C. (as if the city itself has a problem :roll: ) Yet if Trump won there it seems the GOP would be all in for a new nominee and hearings would begin immediately. That's "what's wrong with D.C.", its the partisan bullshit.

That's how predictable the "reversal" was. There was never anything but partisanship going on. I read enough articles the other day full of incredulity and whatnot but uh c'mon this how they play the game. I just didn't feel like making accounts to post "duh" in the comments.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby tinyrick » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:33 am

I live close enough to Mitch McConnell that I will personally shit on his grave when he finally dies.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:58 am

Mitch McConnell is going to outlive all of us.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 am

cmsellers wrote:Mitch McConnell is going to outlive all of us.

Related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_tortoise#Early_life_and_maturation
Wikipedia Article on Lifespan of Galapagos Tortoises wrote:Life expectancy in the wild is thought to be over 100 years, making it one of the longest-lived species in the animal kingdom. Harriet, a specimen kept in Australia Zoo, was the oldest known Galápagos tortoise, having reached an estimated age of more than 170 years before her death in 2006.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:21 am

(Crap, why did I upvote tiny rick?)

His double chins are where he holds his standards.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby tinyrick » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:54 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:
cmsellers wrote:Mitch McConnell is going to outlive all of us.

Related:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_tortoise#Early_life_and_maturation
Wikipedia Article on Lifespan of Galapagos Tortoises wrote:Life expectancy in the wild is thought to be over 100 years, making it one of the longest-lived species in the animal kingdom. Harriet, a specimen kept in Australia Zoo, was the oldest known Galápagos tortoise, having reached an estimated age of more than 170 years before her death in 2006.

This is why Lonesome George was so Lonesome. Not only was the only other member of his species male, he was also an asshole. He wouldn't have mated with him even if he was female.

YEEEEEEAAAHHHHH!!! Tiny Rick!
tinyrick
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep